Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(tiny tadger @ May 25 2005,18:26) A review of the published book, NOT the free download available on the original post by Stoogie...

Private Dancer, a novel by Stephen Leather, has been available online for a few years now, and it was finally decided to publish the novel 'properly'.

Now, especially if you are a resident of Bangkok, you will know that every year a few (and it seems to be increasing) novels are published, that somehow always involve the famous Thai nightlife to some degree. Even Bridget Jones' Diary part two managed to squeeze in a scene!

Besides involving the nightlife at Patpong, Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy, one more obligatory and main necessity seems to be the 'detective'. Invariably, some farang is staying in Bangkok, has some private investigator or police work background, and gets involved in solving a crime. Miraculously he also knows the right people both in Bangkok and abroad, and can proceed to find the bad guys. By itself it is highly implausable that some private foreign detectives can run wild on Thai soil, without being restrained by the local authorities.

Now, Private Dancer, is not a detective story at all. It is about the relationship between a farang travel guide book writer, who falls for the charms of a naked pole dancer at Nana Plaza. A lot of the activity takes place at the Zombie bar, which I just assume is an alias for The Voodoo bar, which was quite popular and active a few years ago, but now has some difficulty in attracting customers.

Reading the novel is easy (it seems to have been adapted in a way to reading it on line) since it consists of small chapters, in which the different characters express their thoughts and what they have been doing lately.

The characters consist of Pete, the farang who fell in love, his 'girlfriend' Joy, the friends of Peter, and the relatives of Joy.

While the novel is easy to read, and not exactly on the way to get the Pulitzer price, it may be an eye opener for those (and there are still many of them around) who tend to fall for bar girls, and get carried away. Just the first 20 pages of the book, contain a good summary of the type of interaction between the girls and the customers and what it is really all about.

The novel claims to write about the year 1996, when things were a bit different. For one thing, there was a lot of naked dancing around that time, which now has kind of disappeared altogether.

I have the impression though that there was some more editing before publishing the book, making it somewhat more up to date. For instance, the rates for barfines, and the going rate for the girls, seem too contemporary, since I remember it all being much cheaper about 10 years ago.

But to state the obvious, and what Pete does not really get: the girls are in it for the money. As such they are performing to get it, and they are very good at it. So Pete, who has some kind of obsession for Joy, is kind of taken by surprise and angry when he finally figures out (it takes him quite a while, despite lots of evidence) that his girlfriend has a boyfriend, and starts going with other men as soon as he has turned his back.

And of course, she is an expert in denying it, and getting away with it time and time again. After finding out the truth though, Pete does not cut off the relationships, but proceeds to take revenge, then goes back to the girl, and starts all over again.

While reading, we learn a lot of truths about the bar girls and their relations with customers, which honestly I think are quite accurate. Having been around the scene for many years now, I have picked up quite a lot experience, and from reading the book, I have to say the author has done some terrific 'research', or likely has erm... 'surveyed' the setting for his novel for some time.

While there are many farangs who support girls by sending them money every months (sometimes tens of thousands of Baht), it is hard to imagine a farang that is as stupid as the one depicted in this book. But I can tell you that they are out there! Are youu one of them?

I personally can confirm the fact that there are (good looking) girls who get money from many farangs abroad and end up making really a lot of money (that they usually bleed into fancy name brand clothes and partying!)

If there is one truth that tells it all, it is that money is completely intertwined with love at the bar girl level, and to a great extent in Thai society. This is a concept that is hard to take in for a Westener. While we all know that money can get you some 'love', there is always the deep hope and belief that women can love you just for what you are, and not for what you have in your pocket and are willing to spend.

In Thailand though, money seems to equate with love. The (bar) girls will simply feel 'love' for you if you give them money and take care of them. And giving them money, shows your love for them.

It is repeatedly suggested in the book that Pete should live with his girlfriend Joy full time, and that this might solve the problems that he has with his relationship with her. Pete however keeps the girl only for temporary encounters. He takes her out of bar often to go out, sleep together of course, but she keeps on dancing in the bar. I think that you can take the girl out of the bar, but never take the bar out of the girl, whatever way you try to do that. (This famous quote is taken from the book!)

Another question is: what about the Thai boyfriends, husbands, of the bar girls. It is a well known fact that lots of the girls have Thai boyfriends and husbands, while they are working in the bars. It's obvious is that Thai men live off the earning of the girls and somehow do not seem to mind that they have temporary relationships with foreigners.

Well, it is all about money,of course, but to me it seems inconceivably to have your girlfriend have a job like that, and live with the knowledge. This is part of the perverted attraction of this book.

A great read. Download it, then buy it!    

Tiny a great post. you have a great grasp on what goes on in the whore sceen in thailand and to a digree society(thai)
    i enjoyed reading such a good post on a very relevant subject
    by the way i think the book is absoulute crap, as i think you do
    just a sex tourist looking for hot fun

Comment

(69billy @ Aug. 13 2006,23:16) It is a good book but for newbies my vote goes too the
      "MONEY STILL NUMBER ONE" By..Neil Hutchison..  
      I have spoken too two bar girls who read the book and thay hate it...Becaus it is all  true.  
      this book much better . thats why thai whore no like
      just a sex tourist looking for hot fun

Comment

Bumped by request!

Comment

(stogie bear @ Dec. 19 2006,04:31) Bumped by request!  
          Again!

Comment

good bump
            we were all newbies once, and whatever its literary lackings, leather's book is an easy-to-read, quickly-fathomed head's up to any who are about to take their first step into the sin pits of nana (or pattaya, or soi bangla) about just how easy it is to believe what you want to believe despite what you should so obviously know to be true!
            hopeless romantics, take heed!
            money IS number one!
            and when your money's gone, she'll love you just as much as you'll love her when her beauty is gone.
            not one fucking bit.
            so smell the coffee before you drink the koolaid.

Comment

Oh Good.............A Good Book to Read on the Long Flight to LOS  
              You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

Hi

Three good books imho:

1. Neil Hutchinson's 'Money Still Number One' (latest version of the original)
                2. 'Confessions of a Thai Private Eye' by Warren Olson & Stephen Leather
                3. 'Hello My Big Big Honey' by Dave Walker & Robert Erlich

'Thailand Fever' gives some useful insight into Thai thinking. 'Private Dancer' seems improved in the hardcopy version but 'Confessions of a Private Eye' is so much better.

Comment

all books regarding los are exhaggirated .

Comment

(olekunde @ Jun. 17 2007,10:08) all books regarding los are exhaggirated .
                    I've noticed this too... I've never read one with even a mention of haggis! It seems that any reference to haggis is removed during the editing phase.

Comment

seems to be interesting book :-) this one is not available in Italian or in spanish, I cannot read with pleasure an entire book in english , I'll wait the Italian editon.
                      Thanks 4 share stogie
                      cyber
                      I'm the cyberfucker  

Comment

Thai Airways should hand this out to all first time fliers to Thailand. On the other hand, don't because it would change the Thai balance of payments and a lot of cops would lose their second homes!
                        I'm really Sexist...

Comment

Drats, I downloaded it after hearing about it for the last two years. It's a great read and I highly recommend it - and I usually hate reading! I had thought the whole book was posted online, but I was mistaken. Oh well, the author's got me so hooked I might just well buy the whole thing. Unless someone cares to "lend" me their digital copy.
                          I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

..do a search....I found it via this site about 6 months ago.....actually a pretty shitty book/pamphlet....amature writing and no different from what everyone else says here on the forum. Just because the info is now in a "published" format does not give it more credibility than the forum.
                            ....so,  you're really a guy?..............  

Comment

(dummy_plug @ Jun. 20 2007,14:05) Unless someone cares to "lend" me their digital copy...
                              Click on the first page of this thread and the link is in the first post...

Comment

(cyberalfa @ Jun. 18 2007,18:49) seems to be interesting book :-) this one is not available in Italian or in spanish, I cannot read with pleasure an entire book in english , I'll wait the Italian editon.
                                Thanks 4 share stogie
                                cyber
                                Cyberalfa, don't worry. It's not possible to read the entire Private Dancer with pleasure in any language - it's total crap. Leather is rubbish.

I make no comment on the likely accuracy of the tale rather the quality of the writing. It sucks.

Burdett's stuff slaughters it for an amusing, entertaining take on Bangkok nightlife.

I look forward to reading Money Number One on my next visit as it has been well recommended but Private Dancer has only car smash fascination wrapped in puerile writing.

Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time

Comment

Working...
                                X