First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapid hiv test kits

Saw this mentioned on another thread:
    http://at-first-test-kits.com/produc...products_id=30

It sounds like a terrific idea for pay for play experiences. However, at $25/pop (maybe a volume discount is available?), this would significantly increase the costs of a LOS trip (though it's marginal for US costs).

Any thoughts?

It says it's not approved by the FDA in the US. Personally, I don't see such approval occurring during the Bush admin, due to the influence of the Christian Taliban in my beloved country. We're lucky condoms are still available. To suggest that people are having sex with others whose HIV status is a concern would no doubt stop many a hypocrites' pacemaker.

Still, that doesn't mean that one can't order it. It just won't have FDA approval for awhile.

Personally, I don't have time (or interest) to check the documentation elsewhere regarding its validity. However, I do believe that such kits are feasible and probably reliable. The 15 minute rapid tests offered all over the US seem to be pretty resource unintensive, so it seems kits should be easy to produce.
    Retired the top 12.  Need a new dirty dozen.  

Update: The new list is coming together: Nong Poy, Anita, Nok, Gif, Liisa Winkler, Kay, Nina Poon.  Is it possible to find 5 more?  Until then, GGs:  Jessica Alba, Yuko Ogura, Zhang Ziyi, Maggie Q, and Gong Li.

I heard there is a Thai company that's making them there and they are a fraction of the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by (post-op lover @ July 13 2005,18:16)
      The 15 minute rapid tests
      A scary 15 minutes , thats for sure. Im assuming that if one is taking the test then there must be doubt.

We all live with this potential problem and even with a condom your skating on thin ice. So the best of luck to anyone that buys one.

I assume that the test results would be posted on the forum

Comment

I guess this is why there are non in the US?

AIDS Home Test Kit Called Deceptive

By John Bulloch

A District Court in Seattle has granted a request from the Federal Trade Commission and issued a temporary restraining order to prevent the sale and distribution of "defective" home HIV test kits. According to FTC, the kits' maker, Seville Marketing of British Columbia, Canada, on two Web sites had advertised the "Discreet" home HIV test kits as producing 99.4% accurate results based on three independent studies.
        However, CDC studied the test kits and found they were not as accurate as the company claimed on its Web site.

Three minutes after performing the test according to the package instructions, 15.4% of the results were inaccurate; after eight minutes, 29.6% of the results were inaccurate; and 59.3% of the tests produced inaccurate results after 15 minutes. The kits gave both false-positive and false-negative results, according to the release.

The kits, which cost $29.95, have been available on the Web through the company's Internet sites. FTC noted in its complaint that the kits cannot be sold legally in the United States because they are not approved by FDA as a diagnostic tool, according to the release.

FTC will seek a permanent ban on sales and advertising of the kits in the United States and a permanent order to seize any kits that are imported. Consumers who have used the kits are advised to see a health professional for another test to determine their HIV status, according to the release.

Comment

A whopping 59.3% rate of inaccuracy? That means it's wrong more than half the time. Wow... Unless it includes inconclusive results.

It's hard to tell if the maker in the link above is different from the one in the news article.

As for the 15 minute wait, at least the difference between this and some other methods is that you find out the results in person, versus over the phone.

By the way, as for this kind of testing - what would it be like to tell a LB that she is HIV positive? What if she didn't know? Could you imagine telling this to a 19 year old who didn't know, and was making money for the sick water buffalo back home?

Hmm, and what happens if two lovelies in a row test positive? Do you pack up and leave LOS? All kinds of considerations once Pandora's box is open.

Update: The new list is coming together: Nong Poy, Anita, Nok, Gif, Liisa Winkler, Kay, Nina Poon.  Is it possible to find 5 more?  Until then, GGs:  Jessica Alba, Yuko Ogura, Zhang Ziyi, Maggie Q, and Gong Li.

Comment

It sounds like a terrific idea for pay for play experiences.  However, at $25/pop (maybe a volume discount is available?), this would significantly increase the costs of a LOS trip (though it's marginal for US costs).

Any thoughts?

It says it's not approved by the FDA in the US.  Personally, I don't see such approval occurring during the Bush admin, due to the influence of the Christian Taliban in my beloved country.   We're lucky condoms are still available.  To suggest that people are having sex with others whose HIV status is a concern would no doubt stop many a hypocrites' pacemaker.

Still, that doesn't mean that one can't order it.  It just won't have FDA approval for awhile.

Personally, I don't have time (or interest) to check the documentation elsewhere regarding its validity.  However, I do believe that such kits are feasible and probably reliable.  The 15 minute rapid tests offered all over the US seem to be pretty resource unintensive, so it seems kits should be easy to produce.
            A study was done with the cooperation of a go go bar owner to determine the hiv status of his gg girls.The results were about 13% positive.I dont know if it is higher among the lbs.The strain in asia is hiv2 and spread equally among heterosexual intercourse and other.There r now 5 million infected in Asia,second to Africa.When I saw a doctor at that hospital near Nana in 2000 he told me his best friend was head of the infectious disease unit at the hospital.He said hiv was spreading exponentially like the US in the 80s.Scary! The Bush administration has nothing to do with the FDA.To mention Christian Taliban is an insult to everyone on this board who doesnt have your warped mind.Go rent the movie "Osama" and you will take back those words.Btw I am not Christian

Comment

Originally posted by (aqueem @ July 13 2005,20:12)

It sounds like a terrific idea for pay for play experiences.  However, at $25/pop (maybe a volume discount is available?), this would significantly increase the costs of a LOS trip (though it's marginal for US costs).

Any thoughts?

It says it's not approved by the FDA in the US.  Personally, I don't see such approval occurring during the Bush admin, due to the influence of the Christian Taliban in my beloved country.   We're lucky condoms are still available.  To suggest that people are having sex with others whose HIV status is a concern would no doubt stop many a hypocrites' pacemaker.

Still, that doesn't mean that one can't order it.  It just won't have FDA approval for awhile.

Personally, I don't have time (or interest) to check the documentation elsewhere regarding its validity.  However, I do believe that such kits are feasible and probably reliable.  The 15 minute rapid tests offered all over the US seem to be pretty resource unintensive, so it seems kits should be easy to produce.
              A study was done with the cooperation of a go go bar owner to determine the hiv status of his gg girls.The results were about 13% positive.I dont know if it is higher among the lbs.The strain in asia is hiv2 and spread equally among heterosexual intercourse and other.There r now 5 million infected in Asia,second to Africa.When I saw a doctor at that hospital near Nana in 2000 he told me his best friend was head of the infectious disease unit at the hospital.He said hiv was spreading exponentially like the US in the 80s.Scary! The Bush administration has nothing to do with the FDA.To mention Christian Taliban is an insult to everyone on this board who doesnt have your warped mind.Go rent the movie "Osama" and you will take back those words.Btw I am not Christian
              Thanks for the factual content of your post. That's pretty interesting.

As for the political side, sorry - you're dead wrong, and that's appropriate in another forum. Do a google on Bush and FDA, and you'll see what I'm talking about. NB: Ad hominem comments aren't much appreciated here, on any forum.

Comment

It is my understanding, (please correct me if I wrong) is that in order for any of the currently available testing kits to provide an accurate result HIV has to have been present in the body for at least 6 months. This is to enable the virus to be present in sufficient numbers to be detected. So unless you have been celebate for the last 6 months then the test is not much use to you. And if you were thinking of using it on a potential partner, it only tells you that 6 months ago they hadn't contracted HIV.
                Too old to die young!

Comment

Originally posted by (jellybean @ July 13 2005,22:08)
                  It is my understanding, (please correct me if I wrong) is that in order for any of the currently available testing kits to provide an accurate result HIV has to have been present in the body for at least 6 months. This is to enable the virus to be present in sufficient numbers to be detected. So unless you have been celebate for the last 6 months then the test is not much use to you. And if you were thinking of using it on a potential partner, it only tells you that 6 months ago they hadn't contracted HIV.
                  Hey Jellybean,

You're right - latency is a very important issue.  It takes time for the virus to replicate to a sufficient concentration to be detectable, and the necessary concentration level (or at least the response level - as many tests, I believe, measure the immunological response, rather than the virus itself) differs from test to test.

Actually, I think that the general waiting time is around 2 or 3 months, so it's a little shorter.  There's a test using PCR which is a bit expensive, and I believe that's accurate after just 24 hours after exposure.

However, nobody's going to carry around a PCR kit.    Moreover, I think that's not a 15 minute thing, but it is the test used in the adult film industry, I believe.

In any case, your very good point may make the whole issue meaningless: if you're sleeping with someone who has 2-3 partners / day, or more than a dozen a week, and you're only looking to know if they had HIV exposure by 2 or 3 months ago, that's ignoring the possibility of infection from the last 100 partners.  On the other hand, if she got HIV before 2 months ago, you can bet she still has it...  And many who are in this line of work have been at it for more than just a few months.

I wonder how many LBs can get SRS if they have HIV.  I think that most good docs won't take them, but I think that's starting to change.  I used to think that that was one advantage of post-ops: they didn't contract SRS before surgery, implying that they took care not to get it, and thus probably continued to take precautions after SRS.  This is like the "she didn't get HIV by 2 months ago" idea - just extrapolating likely behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by
                    NB: Ad hominem comments aren't much appreciated here
                    OK, I give up.....you are far too intelligent for me, what is n "ad mominem" thingy?
                    Mister Arse

Comment

i have a test for diseases after every trip and this covers hiv too.
                      doctor told me you need to be tested twice 3 months apart,if you get the disease you may test negative and could still be positive as the hiv strain can take 3 months to show.
                      there are so many other diseases to worry about too including hep A B & C ect.
                      we all no the only thing we can do is play safe,,,but do we?i n o sucking a dick with a condom is just not the same like sucking a lolly with the wrapper on.

Comment

Originally posted by (Stewart @ July 14 2005,03:14)
                        Originally posted by
                        NB: Ad hominem comments aren't much appreciated here
                        OK, I give up.....you are far too intelligent for me, what is n "ad mominem" thingy?  
                        "far too intelligent"?  surely you jest - elsewhere I was called dimwitted.  

Here's a fuller explanation:
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Excerpt:
                        An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin, literally "argument [aimed] at the person", but usually translated as "argument to the man"), is a logical fallacy that involves replying to an argument by addressing the person presenting the argument as a basis for the argument being incorrect, as opposed to pointing out a flaw in the argument.

Anyway, that and politics are verboten (http://www.google.com/search?q=define:verboten) in this forum.

Comment

I purchaced some from Canada. Found them oin the web. Still HIV negative so maybe they work. Makes you feel safer anyway

Comment

What are u testing, blood samples and if so how do u get the blood?

Comment

Originally posted by (PigDogg @ July 15 2005,06:16)
                              What are u testing, blood samples and if so how do u get the blood?
                              you prick your finger with a sterile pin that comes with the kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X