X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farang safety in los

Stickman had a discussion on his weekly about the growing numbers of incidents of Thai on westerner attacks.They r very vicious and will pummel u into the hospital.Anyone have or heard of any incidents in Los?

I have not seen many fights in the 2 years I have been here and they were Thai on Thai.

I usually feel perfectly safe walking around Bangkok, even at 3/4am when I am bladdered, which was not the case back home in the UK.

I believe unprovoked attacks are extremely rare here. There is usually some reason that the farang gets a beating, even if it is something as petty as standing there and arguing back with the Thai ( note: I am not saying that an attack under these circumstances is in any way justified ).

If you keep your wits about you, walk away with a smile at the first sign of any trouble, and dont raise your voice/act in any way aggressive if you get in any 'disputes' over bills etc, then you should be ok.

Comment

Like that guy last month that got beaten up by 2 toilet attendants... he refused to pay them the equivalent in Thai baht of 10 cents after using there public toilet. Talk about being stupid...

Comment

There is probably no-where safer on earth for a farang to be. I've been here years and the only serious incident I can recall involving a farang the twat asked for it. (That was 4 years ago.)

Bangkok is safe 24/7 and you really do have to be amazingly unlucky/drunk/stupid to endure physical injury at the hands of a local. You are far more likely to fall down a hole in the pavement.

There is NOT a 'growing number of incidents' at all. Your fears are unfounded.

Comment

There is a known problem at the Full Moon Party where some local jerks get drunk go to the party and then start a fight w. a farang and then Either throw a beer bottle at him or Smash it on his head.

If you are at the Full Moon Party and a bunch of drunk Thai kids come upto you just leave, don't try and talk 'em down.

But other than that you really have to try and start trouble, like cursing the king or something.

If you see and Thai on Thai trouble starting I suggest you leave the area. You might not be a target, but you can still get caught up in the melee. ( Or you can just take video, which is what I did at Songkron )
          "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

BEEN GOING TO THAILAND FOR 20 ODD YEARS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. ITS SAFER THAN SOME PLACES IN AUSTRALIA. THE THAIS ARE NOT THAT WAY ICLINED UNLESS YOU GO LOOKING FOR IT.
            NOW THE PHILIPINES IS A DIFFERENT SCEEN ALLTOGETHER> A FUCKING DANGEROUS PLACE

Comment

I think it's true in general that S.E. Asian men tend not to be too aggressive nor confrontational. I'm thinking particularily of the Filipino culture and Laos, Cambodia, and in my experience Thail cultures. I think where you might get in trouble is if you insult him in some way or become a threat to his family in anyway, then hey, watch out, almost any male will kick your ass.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Been living in and visiting Thailand for 15 years and never had a problem. I can't say the same for drunk foreign tourists in Thailand. Unless you are looking for trouble, you couldn't be in a safer place.

Comment

i feel safer in los than England once saw a thai gang fight some Germans in patpong thais won only had trouble my self twice in 15 years,i once flicked the antenna of a thai mans mobile phone as a joke and he pulled a gun on me (off duty police apparantly) in a patpong bar second time a swiss chap took exception to me saying the swiss hid nazi gold in the war after a few drunken windmill punches by us both we ended the night getting pissed together and cementing anglo swiss relations. now a differant kettle of fish is two lb`s fighting   Daz.

Comment

Originally posted by
                    a swiss chap took exception to me saying the swiss hid nazi gold in the war...
                    Ref: my 'unlucky/drunk/stupid...' statement earlier!

Comment

Originally posted by (allstar88 @ Aug. 18 2005,00:35)
                      i once flicked the antenna of a thai mans mobile phone as a joke
                      How does one flick an antenna?

Comment

Originally posted by (stogie bear @ Aug. 18 2005,21:58)
                        Originally posted by
                        a swiss chap took exception to me saying the swiss hid nazi gold in the war...
                        Ref: my 'unlucky/drunk/stupid...' statement earlier!  
                        drunk and stupid i admit to, it was 15 years ago and im not proud of it thats life   Daz.

Comment

Originally posted by (Bam @ Aug. 19 2005,04:18)
                          Originally posted by (allstar88 @ Aug. 18 2005,00:35)
                          i once flicked the antenna of a thai mans mobile phone as a joke
                          How does one flick an antenna?  
                          about 15 years ago mobiles looked like house bricks with large rubber antennas and were good for flicking with ones finger and thumb except when the user was a thai policeman with a gun but it was a wonderfull laxative a gun at your head in a patpong bar my flicking days are now over    Daz.

Comment

As for those ridiculous full moon partys... you deserve to get beaten up if that's your idea of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by (stogie bear @ Aug. 19 2005,18:08)
                              As for those ridiculous full moon partys... you deserve to get beaten up if that's your idea of fun!
                              C'mon stoogie, I'm going next month--why don't you go with me. We can listen to some Techo and some Acid Jazz, get our face painted with dayglo designs, have some magic mushroom shakes and stay up till noon.

oh, but wear a pitt helmet just in case
                              "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Working...
                              X