X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry king live

Just saw on CNN that a Larry King Live show will be dedicated to transsexuals. Thursday, 11 AM, US time (not sure which timezone).

There was a documentary programme last night on ITV1 UK which showed a lap dancing club featuring transexual performers in San Franciscos gay Zone.

They sent a mild mannerd couple with there kids in to see there reaction ......needless to say they were homophobic and disgusted but the kids were OK and thought it was cool.

Comment

Originally posted by (Tomcat @ Feb. 15 2006,19:15)
      There was a documentary programme last night on ITV1 UK which showed a lap dancing club featuring transexual performers in San Franciscos gay Zone.

They sent a mild mannerd couple with there kids in to see there reaction ......needless to say they were homophobic and disgusted but the kids were OK and thought it was cool.
      Great. Its stunts like that that are going to set us back 50 years.

I don't understand why people in alternative communities, especially a lot of homosexuals, insist on shoving it in peoples faces. I'm all for social tolerance and equal rights... but I'm also for privacy and public decency.

I don't go out and fuck my girlfriend in the middle of the street in front of Mormons.

Why can't people just be pervy in their own privacy? So I like crazy ladyboys, sure that makes me odd. I don't keep it to myself to hide it from others because I'm afraid of them. I keep it private because *I* don't want to be bothered debating idiots. And because it's my private life. I wouldn't go around broadcasting who I was shagging if it was all hetero chicks.

Some people have a poorly deveoped sense of self esteem.

Comment

Originally posted by
        Some people have a poorly deveoped sense of self esteem.
        I sense that (in the USA gay culture, anyway) 'out' is cool and 'waaaay out' is even better

This defiant "I don't give a damn" mindset seems to be a reaction to the lack of tolerance (never mind acceptance) the conservative Christian majority has for those who choose an alternative lifestyle

As most people back at home (especially the tight-assed conservatives) love to be shocked, horrified, and (so) greatly entertained by such stuff, it does make for great television ratings

Originally posted by
        ......needless to say they were homophobic and disgusted but the kids were OK and thought it was cool.
        I recently heard an interesting 'take' on the notion of social accceptance in Thailand from the long-time partner (a writer from the UK) of a Thai gay boy (interior designer educated in the UK who is drawing my 'dream' kitchen and pool garden)

When I told him that is was the atmosphere of tolerance and acceptance that compelled me to move to Thailand, his reply was an interesting one:

"It's not necessarily tolerance or acceptance - although as westerners living in Thailand, we often mistake it for such"

"Because Thai cuture and Buddhist faith tilts sharply against those who argue or engage in open conflict with another person, it the person who is being critical - and not the object(s) of his criticism - who is taught to feel shame at the negative emotions they have towards another person"

"This is why it is much easier for a Thai to NOT be critical or judgemental of our sexual preferences - than it is for them is to wrestle with the negative feelings they must direct at themselves for being critical or judgemental in the first place"

I said

"So that is why I get only the barest flicker of a "look" from most Thais when I am out with [my girlfriend] in public", to which he replied

"Yes, it's so much easier for them to avoid critical or judgemental feelings - or just feel them briefly before letting them go - that it is for them to hang on to them, let alone express them openly"

I then advanced the thought that

"What you are saying is that 'The Jerry Springer Show' wouldn't play well here..." to which he laughingly replied

"On the contrary, [his boyfriend] loves to watch Jerry Springer, it's a bit of a joke between us - great fun for him to watch crazy farangs behave in ways that Thais rarely do"

Originally posted by
        I don't understand why people in alternative communities, especially a lot of homosexuals, insist on shoving it in peoples faces. I'm all for social tolerance and equal rights... but I'm also for privacy and public decency.
        I concluded my conversation with this interesting fellow with a question

Recalling my recent breakup with the Thai LB I had been dating for some months (who, for reasons of enhancing her self-esteem, enjoyed flaunting her sexuality in Western "out" fashion) I then ventured to my friend the question

"Could the desire to avoid a confrontation be the reason why it can be so difficult to have a "serious" conversation with a Thai relationship partner?"

His reply

"God, yes mate, tread carefully, they would rather run away from a difficult conversation rather than risk the emotional conflict that might come from having one"

"Sounds like you learned some good lessons from your first girlfriend...your new girl is stunning, by the way, and she clearly likes you - keep it light and fun and you will be OK"

Sorry for straying a bit off topic here - Ziggy (and others with girlfriends here) - I invite your comments on this bit you like

Comment

Originally posted by (grunyen @ Feb. 16 2006,00:47)
          I don't understand why people in alternative communities, especially a lot of homosexuals, insist on shoving it in peoples faces. I'm all for social tolerance and equal rights...
          "Now a subtler form of discrimination has risen to take its place. This discrimination does not aim at groups as a whole. Rather, it aims at the subset of the group that refuses to cover, that is, to assimilate to dominant norms."

The above quote is from a long article in the New York Times magazine section titled, "The Pressure To Cover". Excellent article but too long to post here; if anyone's interested I'll email it to you. If you subscribe to the Times you can get it for free on their website.

Comment

Hi PD, did you dig out from the snow OK?

As I am not a Times Select member, can you e-mail the article to me please?

With thanks and best wishes

Comment

Working...
            X