Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BUMP

Comment

from what i read i better start saving when i get back from short trip in june.

No i know from reading why its called the los once you have seen the smile it never goes away.

Comment

My solution to the LOS Blues was to leave full-time work as I only got 4 -5 weeks holidays per year. Decided to buy an apartment in the city which I live in 6 months of the year. For the other 6 months I rent it out to executives working on contract in Sydney and then pack my bags and travel to Thailand and Asia for the other 6 months or so.

At Aus$1000 per week for the rent I can live like a king in LOS and not worry about counting baht.

In the 6 months I have in Oz I do contract work or casual work which leaves me free to enjoy life, go to the gym, swim etc.......

Made the decision in 2000 and although I am not earning the money I use to I have a much better quality of life and enjoy my time in both countries.

Oil baron,

Maybe you should consider renting your place or buying an apartment in a city where there is work for overseas people that require leased accomodation. That way if you ever want to return to the UK you have a base. Once you sell out of real estate you will never afford to buy back in unless you hit the lottery or get a better job in the country you choose to live in.

I know for Australians who travel to the UK the hotels are so expensive that they decide not to go. If there were more small units or B&B style places with self catering needs the Uk would be inundated with requests as travel is moving away from package holidays into self-catered or self contained apartment holidays. Just a thought, hope it helps someone with the blues!

Comment

apply for a one year visa, renewable every year. if
          you have some bucks in the bank, a minimum income
          and no serious police record[ don't know how they let
          me slip by] nor serious health problems,i.e. std's
          or drug evidence, they give you the visa. it's not
          difficult. i've been here for 5 years straight. if they
          let me in the door must be wide open.

Comment

A few years ago, I had a round trip cheapo ticket on China Airways(like riding an Ecuadorean flying bus) from the US to Bkk. While there, some friends told me about Eva Airways economy deluxe class.(wonderful, just like 1st class on some other airlines) So I shitcanned my return China A. ticket and bought a RT Eva ticket in Bkk.  I buy a new one each time I'm in Bkk, so I always have a return trip ticket that I have to use within a year. Now I have to go back whether I want to or not! Damn!  I'm leaving in 2 days!

Comment

Bottomfeeder has hit on the best and most cost effective way to travel to and from Thailand. Now I can only talk about return tickets to Australia but I feel reasonably sure that it would be the same for other countries at BF as alluded too.

A return ticket bought in Australia SYD/BKK/SYD $850.00 plus taxes low season. The cheapest you can get and maybe not a direct flight to Bangkok.

A economy return ticket to Australia bought in Bangkok 19,000 and I have seen them cheaper than this. So thats about 700 Aus dollars.

Now business class is the same, last trip I piad $3000 with Thai return and discovered that I could get a business class return BKK/SYD/BKK for 60,000 direct flight as well.

So for my next trip I buy a one-way economy ticket Syd/Bkk upgrade to Business with points and then buy the other ticket in Bangkok which has a 12 month validility.

For those of you not in bangkok try looking at the Bangkok Post online www.bangkokpost.com they have great specials sometimes.

cheers,

Comment

Working...
              X