Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money Exchange

Where is the best place in Bangkok to exchange my money? thanks ahead guys

don't exchange money; bring an ATM card. It will be drawn right out of your bank account back home and you get the best exchange.

If you must bring travellers cheques or cash, just hit up one of the exchange booths all over sukhimvit and Nana area and Patpong; they give the best rates. banks are second.

Jon

Comment

agree with jon just bring your bank card atm access card and sling it in an atm . the money is taken direct and it cost you $4-50 aus each time. so find a matchine that gives 1000 bhat notes and get 20 thousand out each time. atm's give 20 notes out max.
      cheers donnnnny

Comment

hey guys.. correct me if i am wrong.. but the worst place to change money is the money exchange at the airport... rod

Comment

Bring 2 ATM cards, last week I had an ATM machine take my card. I got it back the next day after calling the number on the machine and (quietly) yelling. I would have been in trouble if I only had the one card.

Otherwise, ATMs are definelty the best rate. The thai banks do not charge any fees for ATM use, but your home bank might. If you have a card w/o ATM fees then you are golden.

ATMs are common in the cities and the tourist islands, but elsewhere they can be rare. If you are leaving the city, bring cash.
          "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

rod.....the airport is not too bad, but just take enough to last you until the next day when you can find an ATM; so maybe cash 100 bucks there and you will get 4000 [or less???]; that will hold you over until you see an ATM or an exchange booth in the tourist areas.

worst place to exchange is a hotel lobby. even if you are a guest there, most hotels will give you way less than the current value. Nana hotel right now probably pays about 3800 per 100. The Tai- Pan probably pays 3700 per 100. Never cash money at the hotel ;that is for suckers and newbies who don't know any better. The exchange booths are everywhere, as you know. They generally pay the best.

Jon

Comment

The airpost is always one of the worst places to change money! i always make certain I change more than I need before I go as I JUST KNOW I will be back. When the schmucks are lining up at the bank after a 24 hour journey my smelly ass is headedfor the taxi stand. I do not own a microwave, just got a cell phone, and do not have an ATM card and make sure I travel with my CD of Duran Durans greatest hits. I admit it-I am still living in the 80's. I could see where if a machine ate up your ATM card it could fuck you up. I always have a bit of ca$h but mostly trav checks. It works for me. The booths are all very competitive with their rates so dont walk around BKK looking to save 20 baht/100 $ US!!! Never had a problem.

Comment

hey guys.. i agree that money exchange at the airport is only good for getting enough money until you get to the money booths downtown... i also carry TC and cash.. but i always use the hotel safety deposit boxes at the hotel i am staying at... that is one of the many reasons i like the nana hotel.. the safty deposit boxes are right behind the front desk and thus relatively safe.. same scene at the nana's sister hotel in pattaya, the nova....i also bring a visa atm card.. but this is solely for back up... never had to use it yet in thailand.. rod

Comment

Hello Hunter et al.,

If you use an atm machine with a UK credit/bank card the so and so's charge you about £4 ($6.00), you also get a worse exchange rate to boot .

I always use travellers cheques to get my money and then pay in cash. The other thing to note is that in Thailand they will sting you for 4-5% extra on many bills (cheques in American) when you chose to pay by credit card.

RR.
                  Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                  Kahuna

Comment

Road Runner is absoultly correct.
                    Every hotel I have ever stayed at, alway's charge's 5% for using a credit card ! I wish I could get that kind of intrest at my local bank

Comment

Credit Card cash advances are the worst way to get money, there is a 5% processing fee AND you start paying interest immediatly on the amount (as opposed to normal charges where you only pay interest if you do not pay in full at the end of the month).

ATM withdrawls are the best, especially if your home bank does not charge an ATM fee. I have checked my statements after I get back, and I always get a better exchange rate w/ ATM withdrawl than I would w/ converting cash, travellers check, or a check.

There are ATM machines at the airport - thats what I use to get the money to pay for the cab.
                      "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

i agree with everyone
                        hotels the worst by far
                        airport not much better(especially sydney)
                        i found the guys in little vans in pattaya where very good
                        but the atm card is the easiest and best way,just be carefull people dont see you pull out 20000 baht,and the safe's in your room are easy to pick,just sprinkle dust over the key pad to see what 4 numbers you used,then it is just a short time ,only 16 combos and presto,open.
                        i put my valuables under a drawer,slide the bottom one all the way out,and stash in thier.

Comment

Working...
                        X