First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gays take on Novotel in club row

Gays take on Novotel in club row

Global campaign planned as hotel is accused of barring transvestites

Gay-rights advocates plan to launch a global boycott against a high-end Bangkok hotel after it barred a transvestite from its nightclub.

Nikorn Arthit, president of Bangkok Rainbow Organi-sation, said yesterday that a campaign called "Novotel - No Homosexual" would soon be started through an online network of "third gender" groups.

The campaign is to fight back against the Novotel Siam Square after it banned a transvestite from entering its Concept CM2 Club.

"It is fine if you ban gays and transvestites, but you have to pay the price," Nikorn said.

The controversy sprang

to media attention when Sutthirat Simsiriwong, a transvestite who is a local brand manager for a French cosmetics firm, was told he could not enter the club last Friday.

A cross-dressing Sutthirat said his ID card was checked by club staff. Once the staff found that the card identified him as "Mr", he was not allowed entry, even though he went there with a VIP guest of the club.

"The staff said it is hotel policy to not allow katoey to enter," he claimed.

The word "katoey" is loosely used in Thailand to describe cross-dressers and transgender people.

The hotel, part of the Accor Group, yesterday issued a press statement signed by its executive general Michael Thomas denying the accusation.

Though admitting that Sutthirat was barred from entry, Thomas said the refusal was not part of the club's entry policy and was not supported by its management. He said the club regularly supported the gay community by hosting Mardi Gras, gay beauty pageants and singing contests.

"The unfortunate incident was an isolated instance of

an error in judgement aris-ing from non-conformity of the official ID on the part of the door staff involved in

the altercation with Mr Sutthirat," Thomas said.

He did not say what the staff told Sutthirat. He said customer-service training for CM2 staff would be undertaken. He also said the process to check ID cards of the club's guests was for security reasons.

Sutthirat yesterday flied a complaint to Human Rights Commissioner Naiyana Sup-apung, who said she would investigate the case.

After his fate was publicised, many transvestites called Sutthirat and told him they had received similar treatment from CM2 staff.

"If the hotel wants to ban katoey, it should show a clear sign and we would not go to be treated like this," he said.

Nikorn believed the incident was based on the hotel's policy to ban katoey but claimed it was not brave enough to declare its policy publicly.

He claimed a once-popular Silom nightclub was bankrupted within a month after putting up a sign reading "No homosexuals" on its door.

He wants CM2 to get a taste of its own medicine. "The club is not a popular place for katoey, but don't forget that big numbers of gay tourists come to Thailand," he said.

Nikorn said CM2 and other clubs probably did not realise the size of the gay market because many gay people cannot be recognised from their appearance.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007....988.php
    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Deny, deny , deny sounds like the security guard gets handed his arse for doing what was obviously the unofficial policy.

He said customer-service training for CM2 staff would be undertaken.
    Just don't bar anyone that looks important.

I'm sure this is not the only place with an unofficial policy I remember Ziggy's posts about Qbar.
    I don't get it, is this a magic show?

Comment

How were this persons 'human rights' violated? If getting into the disco at The Novatel is his or her main goal in life then that person should be thanking his or her lucky stars just to be alive!

Still - it's a good publicity stunt.  

The Club should have complete control over who they allow and deny admittence to, although the policy should be clearly signposted and consistantly enforced.

Comment

without a doubt one of the worst hotel chains ever........i stayed at one of their hotels once and never again...very lb unfriendly,and huge joiner fee after 10pm.....

Comment

Are we gonna get a load of arabs campaigning against Playskool next?
          When she walks, she’s like a samba
          That swings so cool and sways so gentle

Comment

With respect to all, I have visited TS's in Novotels in France and in the UK.

In fact the Novotel Group's Ibis and Accor Hotels in Central Manchester England are currently the hotels of choice for visiting TS's (It used to be The Britannia, and some still go there).

I don't rate the Novotel Chain at all, but from my personal experiences neither the girls nor their clients have any problems. The chambermaids must know what is going on as I have asked providers to call for towels and I have seen the chambermaid bring in half - dozen, with a knowing wink.

The story probably originated from one overblown incident.

Comment

I think this boils down to discrimination. I would feel very upset if I were barred entry to a club or restaurant based on my race, sexual orientation or religion.
              A club or any business should have control on who enters its premises just as the customers have a right to choose where they spend their money.
              http://asianladyboy.blogspot.com

Comment

We've been through this one before too, with emotionally charge differing views, but for me, I completely disagree that a public club (it is public because it is open to anyone who walks up to it), can discriminate. It is only done to Katoeys because they can do it and get away with it. If it banned blacks, Muslims, or Catholics, it would be burnt down in one night.

Comment

The manager of this bar used to be the manager of Top ten in Singapore. Not sure if he is still there - but he also banned LB's from Top Ten, which at the time I lived in Singapore, I was actually quite grateful for.

But as others have said, the hotel and the bar are well past their sell by date IMHO.

Cheers
                  Mardhi

Comment

(razrman @ Jun. 28 2007,21:21) I think this boils down to discrimination.

I would feel very upset if I were barred entry to a club or restaurant based on my race, sexual orientation or religion.

A club or any business should have control on who enters its premises just as the customers have a right to choose where they spend their money.
                    Yes it DOES boil down to discrimination... what's wrong with discrimination? Some clubs discriminate against men if there aren't enough women already in there! (NO SINGLE MEN ADMITTED!) Jap clubs discriminate against whiteys... It happens everywhere... who cares.

I too would be a bit upset if I was barred because I was a whitey! But I'd stop short of announcing to the world that my human rights had been violated. Pathetic.

Absolutely - it should be the clubs choice who they allow in and the customers choice to spend their money elsewhere.

Comment

What's your take on applying this type of policy to say hospitals?
                      I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

I stayed at Novotel Siam Square last October ,with a Thai lb I brought with me from Aus.They were most helpful and offered entry to their nightclub, whilst we were there.Mind you I think that half the staff were trying to get their end in, as she is extremely passable with a great figure.The security guard even carried her across the flooding water ,after a huge downpour.In summary,no problems.
                        nigel69

Comment

It is funny to hear this because Novotel belongs to Accor Hotels - The Accor hotel in Pattaya accommodated the Miss Tiffanys competition this year

Comment

The Nation - June 28, 2007

Global campaign planned as hotel is accused of barring transvestites

BANGKOK: -- Gay-rights advocates plan to launch a global boycott against a high-end Bangkok hotel after it barred a transvestite from its nightclub.

Nikorn Arthit, president of Bangkok Rainbow Organi-sation, said yesterday that a campaign called "Novotel - No Homosexual" would soon be started through an online network of "third gender" groups.

The campaign is to fight back against the Novotel Siam Square after it banned a transvestite from entering its Concept CM2 Club.

"It is fine if you ban gays and transvestites, but you have to pay the price," Nikorn said.

The controversy sprang to media attention when Sutthirat Simsiriwong, a transvestite who is a local brand manager for a French cosmetics firm, was told he could not enter the club last Friday.

A cross-dressing Sutthirat said his ID card was checked by club staff. Once the staff found that the card identified him as "Mr", he was not allowed entry, even though he went there with a VIP guest of the club.

"The staff said it is hotel policy to not allow katoey to enter," he claimed.

The word "katoey" is loosely used in Thailand to describe cross-dressers and transgender people.

The hotel, part of the Accor Group, yesterday issued a press statement signed by its executive general Michael Thomas denying the accusation.

Though admitting that Sutthirat was barred from entry, Thomas said the refusal was not part of the club's entry policy and was not supported by its management. He said the club regularly supported the gay community by hosting Mardi Gras, gay beauty pageants and singing contests.

"The unfortunate incident was an isolated instance of an error in judgement aris-ing from non-conformity of the official ID on the part of the door staff involved in the altercation with Mr Sutthirat," Thomas said.

He did not say what the staff told Sutthirat. He said customer-service training for CM2 staff would be undertaken. He also said the process to check ID cards of the club's guests was for security reasons.

Sutthirat yesterday flied a complaint to Human Rights Commissioner Naiyana Sup-apung, who said she would investigate the case.

After his fate was publicised, many transvestites called Sutthirat and told him they had received similar treatment from CM2 staff.

"If the hotel wants to ban katoey, it should show a clear sign and we would not go to be treated like this," he said.

Nikorn believed the incident was based on the hotel's policy to ban katoey but claimed it was not brave enough to declare its policy publicly.

He claimed a once-popular Silom nightclub was bankrupted within a month after putting up a sign reading "No homosexuals" on its door.

He wants CM2 to get a taste of its own medicine. "The club is not a popular place for katoey, but don't forget that big numbers of gay tourists come to Thailand," he said.

Nikorn said CM2 and other clubs probably did not realise the size of the gay market because many gay people cannot be recognised from their appearance.

Comment

Couple thoughts about this.

Despite their denying it, this has been CM2 policy for several years running. I know a ladyboy who used to frequent CM2. CM2 had some problems with theft due to ladyboys and decided to ban all of them permanently to solve the problem. It wasn't a big deal to her, just one of those things. The problem is they now have stepped on the toes of a high society ladyboy.

Also I am disappointed at the names the reporter uses to address transexuals: gays, cross dressers, transvestites. He later introduced the word katoey, only in attempting to try to explain what it meant was a bit off. Surprising how unknowledgeable reporters based in Bangkok are.

Comment

Working...
                              X