Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pai's a nice place to go white water rafting. Pick a time of the year when the currents match your skill. It varies a lot.
    Staying on the river sounds nice, but lots of mosquitoes, I stayed at a normal hotel inland.

I had some extra time in CM and decided to go for a few days. Took a LB with me...no problem. The other Farangs on the raft had no idea.I wouldn't go back - just not that exciting.

Snick
    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Completely forgot about the rafting! Seem to be loosing it in my dotage. Unfortunately I have to travel through Pai a few times a year, and normally don't stop. As you say...not the most exciting place on the face of the planet. The Cynic

OK here we go again Beefy........Firstly Pai. Situated in the mountainous area of Mae Hong Son Province, just over the provincial border with Chiangmai. The only way in is by road, with some of god's own country to see on the way. You drive north out of Chiangmai, taking the Mae Taeng turn off to Pai and Mae Hong Son, you will go through part of the Mae Sa valley, which really has some of the most beautiful jungle scenery you will ever see in Thailand. You will see waterfalls a plenty, and often, depending on the time of day, a herd of elephants walking across the road. A real driving hazard, and there are signs everywhere warning you of this. If on a bike you should be more than careful, for racing roung a corner you could be confronted by....not elephants, but worse! The evidence of where thay have been. Now I don't know if you have ever see a mountain of elephant turds, but on a bike can be lethal, and have thrown many a good rider. A car has the distinct advantage of being covered, however, that wonderful aroma will linger underneath you car for weeks.
      The road, as I said is very mountainous, with more bends twists and turns than a Bangkok tout. OK you've had your fill of the glorious scenery, and you are aproaching Pai, where is it you ask yourself, and well may you ask! The answer is, it's all around you in the mountains. The town, as such, is uninspiring to say the very least, and is only a stopping off point on the long road to Mae Hong Son. Pai can be summed up in a few words....."The drop out capitol of Thailand" The town and surrounding areas are full of drop outs who have retired from the world. A fair proportion are into "feel good" powder, or just cannot live without THC which, I might add, is in plentiful supply in the region. There is no real action in Pai, apart from a few Thai style bars. The town fills up with bike tours that are doing the Mae Hong Son run, and they often stay the night in Pai. There are plenty of guest houses at around Bt 100 a night and cheaper, if you are on a budget.
      If you are up that neck of the woods, I would strongly suggest that you keep going onto Mae Hong Son, the city of the mists. A fairyland setting for this beautiful provincial capitol, with still not a great deal to do at night, but at least it abounds with ladyboys. You can also fly into Mae Hong Son by plane from Chiangmai, and is extremely inexpensive. Before the Thai airways price rise, the ticket cost was Bt 400 worth the trip, even if you hadn't planned to go there. It's not that much more now.
      The temple on the lake is a must see if you go there, and the rest is really up to you. Not large by provincial standards, but one of the prettiest capitols.
      Chang and Samet will have to wait till my fingers heal up!
      The Cynic

Comment

Mr Cynic,

I salute you Sir ! Forgive me for blowing my own trumpet and I pray sir for your fallen comrades who I hold in the highest esteem. Without people like you our Great Nation would not be !

If I had just an ounce of your courage I would be a real man,

Your obedient servant Sir,

Bricktop

Comment

Bricktop.....Patriotism is a wonderful thing, and it's a great pity that more people are not this way inclined. In this sad day and age, unfortunately patriots have been replaced with religious zealots, and I'm glad of the fact that that's I war I don't have to participate in any longer.
          I've seen sights that no man should have to witness, but they pale into insignificance compared to the carnage that is being wreaked today in the name of god and religion. Perhaps I'm too old fashioned, and maybe have missed something along the way. All I percieve is young peaple of all races, creeds, and colours, needlessly being torn apart by incideous APs and other fragmentary devices, that should be banned from the face of the planet. Old? Cynical? Most certainly; I've seen it all, and can aford to be cynical, however, wishing for the imposible return of innocence.
          The epitomy of British patriotism, for me, is summed up in Sir Edward Elgar's Pomp and Curcumstance march number 4 in "G" major (song of freedom) If you don't have it, or have never heard it, I would be only too pleased to "wave file" it for you.

"In memorium" The Cynic

Comment

You are obviously working far too hard beefy, or in bed with a dose not to be reading the forum.
            I told all the ladyboys to watch out for a slightly beefy man arriving just before Songkran, and their reply was what does he look like. Hummmm I replied, I really have no idea, but he'll be here. So when you arrive just mention aroung town that Beefy has arrived! You'll get swamped. I have now moved on, but will return. The Cynic

Comment

Hey Fellas.....

Went AWOL again... lol i was off doing good deeds.... One of the OAP'S at the over 50's club i do work for has got 2 Stafs(Dogs) she didnt want them anymore both 7months old, i found them a home..shoulda seen me on the underground lastnite getting these bloody things to there new home. Nightmare is the best word to sum it up......Anywho back to the matters at hand.

Cynic thankyou again sir for another in depth insight into one of Thailands many treasures. If i ever choose to take this journey i will no doubt watch out for the Elephant turd. lol... that could be a bit messy then to add insult to injury one lands face 1st in it....

As for this white water rafting, havent done that in years, is a session run up there or its a case of u get a boat and some people and hit the water?

Cynic, cheers for warming the girls up and telling um i will be there, i will put the word round wen i get there that beefy has arrived...lol...shall i say beef in thai or jus wave my beefy flag which believe ir or not has a picture of a raging bull on it.....

Up The Ass Of Every Successful Business Man Lies a Ladboys Thick Long Cock!

Comment

Working...
              X