X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midnight Closing - Jon's thoughts

I just got off the phone with Jon, he is not able to access the internet right now and asked me to post for him. We were talking about the new midnight closing and what it meant.

First observation - This SUCKS BIG TIME

Second - Entertainment areas can stay open until 1am or 2am. Bars are 2am; but pubs and discos are 1am. not sure what the difference between a pub and a bar is. Also not sure what time a bar in an entertainment area is allowed to open.

Outside an entertainment area the hours are 9pm-12am. 3 Hours.

Entertainment areas are Patpong, Ratchada (which is where Hollywood disco , RCA and massage parlours are located ); and New Phetchburi (the road parallel to Sukhemvit, has a lot of massage parlours).
    No information on entertainment areas in Pattaya, Phuket or Samui.

For those who are unaware, the nightlife economy in Bangkok is huge, by some estimates 5-10% of the population of Bangkok makes their living in this sector. What we see as tourists is only the tip of the iceberg, 90% of it is invisible to Farangs. I don't know whats going to happen now, there will be massive unemployment as a result of this.

An attractive smart girl working as a hostess in a thai club can make 30,000-50,000 Baht a month base; and more if she finds a "boyfriend". A university graduate, who can speak english can make 10,000 to 15,000 a month. Most of these hostesses will lose there jobs. Along with the bar workers, night vendors, suppliers, etc... you could be looking at 100,000+ people unemployed.

As for our favorite girls, that depends what happens to Nana. If, as seems likely, Nana is restricted to being open from 9pm to 12am then it will force many bars out of business or force them to scale back. That will leave our girls the option of walking the street.

I'm not sure if the Patpong entertainment area includes the surrounding "gay" sois. (for those unaware there are two seperate gay strips off Silom and Surrawong with gogos, plus 3 other alleys with gays discos and bars). If this area is included maybe a LB gogo will open up. But LB's are usually prefered by otherwise straight guys, and not the preference of hard-core gay guys.

Maybe somebody will open a new "Nana" in the Ratchada or Petchburi entertainment zone, but that doesn't seem likely.

RCA might become a good hunting ground for freelancers. Right now its only good if you can speak Thai.

For us it will make it harder to find girls, but will probably drive the price down. For the girls it will make life a lot harder and more dangerous. It will also make it more dangerous for us, getting a girl from a GoGo does provide some safety to the john.
    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

smart these thais)

Comment

Guys, that's all just not fun anymore. I'm an night-owl. Love to hang around in bars and clubs until the morning. I never have dinner before 10pm. I just don't want to go to fucking Disneyland in my holidays. What will happen to Pattaya and all the islands - think of Kho Pangan (even if I'm already a bit too old for that) - where everything starts very late? I mean what kind of drugs are these guys smoking? Unbelievable! That's totally suicidal!
      But that's only me. I don't want start to discuss the socio-economical problems that coming up with it. Like Snick said there are hundred thousands who will loose their jobs, hang around in the streets, etc. If you think that Thaksin doesn't know that, you're naive. That's what he want's to provoke. It's just the beginning and you can bet:
      We ain't seen nothing yet!!!
      I'd highly recommend that our cuties hurry up and find a farang bf who takes them to his country before it's too late.

MK
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdXtf-GHvU

Comment

Most of Patong is in the zone as is Pattaya. What will determine how this all works out is how it is enforced after the initial show of strength. I think current bar licences only run until midnight, but that is let slide. As some of the text we have seen is so ambiguos, bar/pub, nightclub/disco, rice porridge etc, then it creates the ambiguity on classifications. I do not believe the intent of this is against the Farang trade  Link this link goes into some of the more bizarre rational behind it all.
        From an economic point of view I do not believe they can sustain the financial vaccuum this will create.
        Would guess they are showing who is boss, or Thaksin is plotting to cause Purachai & the muslim minister to fail spectacularly, so that he can get rid. There have been some fallings out with them recently, wouldnt put it past them. Put it this way, even the cops are confused on this one and it is gonna hit their pockets just as hard! It is more than just the small bars we all frequent, there are places like Narcissus, Pegasus, Q Bar, Mystique, Bed Bar, CM2, Spasso's etc that are expensive high investment places that are gonna take a hit. Some of these owners are going to be less than impressed.

Another option is that they may create additional zones

Comment

The only answer that makes sense to me is that Thaskin is really a "No-Fun" kind of guy. He wants to make Thailand a 1st world nation and not a giant whore house. Commendable, but he thinks he can do it by forcing everyone to work harder and depriving them of outlets for fun.

Reminds me of Giuliani in New York, Mr. holier than though. Then it turns out he shagging his press secretary on the side, kicks his wife out of the Mayor's Mansion, and then wonders why the press is obsessed with his personal life.

The anti-farang angle doesn't make sense, yes Nana and Cowboy are being affected, but Patpong isn't. And this affects Thais a lot more than Farangs.

He doesn't have popular support for this, a TV poll had 70% saying leave things the way they are.

Baffled and Pissed.
          "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

thanks for posting my thoughts on this one Snick.....we were talking this morning as i was reading the Post and i just couldn't believe my eyes. this is amazing, frankly, but as Tonio says, unless these girls have their suckers sending them cash they will be in serious need of money. so to try and put a positive spin on this shit, if indeed there is one, WE will be able to score the girls very easy on the streets at around 1230 every night and they will be hard up for cash.

on the bad side......I like to go out to other places rather than nana now and again, and this will really suck as far as nightlife goes on Khoa Sahn road and other places where I like to drink. and yes, nana and cowboy are NOT in the zone, so those places will be closing at midnight; fucking unbelievable that thaksin got away with this nonsense.

Manila, Jakarta, Bali, Cebu, all looking pretty good right now, huh? and as i say, there will be lots of desperate ladyboys who are used to making 2 or 3000 baht per night who will soon be making squat; could be good hunting for us ladyboy-lovers.

still bad news all in all and very depresing

Jon

Comment

It is depressing the hell out of me, I can see Casa, Cascade and Obsession being shut within weeks as no way will they be able to sustain only being open from 9pm till midnight.
              The number of tourists both normal and sex tourist will plummet once the word has got out about this stupidity as it is not just us bar lovers that are being targetted. Mr and Mrs Normal will not go on holiday to a place they cannot have a drink in and have to go to bed at midnight and will go elsewhere.
              So Thai airways planes will be empty, hotel rooms will be empty, taxi's will be empty, shops in the tourist sectors like Robinsons will be empty not only as the tourists will be elsewhere in the world but so will their money so the Thai's will not be earning and many who make their living in the tourism industry will simply be laid off and have no money.
              A lot of guys I know have simply said bollocks to it and will go elsewhere and not waste their time or money on a place that is no longer worth it.
              As for me I'll come to Bangkok in March as planned and if things are as bad as I think they'll be I'll just join a massive queue of guys who are saying 'I once went to Thailand for my holidays but not anymore'.

Comment

Working...
              X