• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curfews and 'fun zones' take bang out of Bangkok

Curfews and 'fun zones' take bang out of Bangkok
    By Jan McGirk in Bangkok
    15 February 2004

Early closing hours and stringent zoning regulations are taking the bang out of Bangkok.

Legislators, who have already dented Thailand's reputation as the nocturnal party animal of Asia by requiring all bars in the kingdom to close at 2am, have ruled that from next month businesses must be shuttered at midnight, except in designated fun zones. The owners of massage parlours, discos, karaoke halls, hostess bars and restaurants are howling that one night in Bangkok cannot be very memorable - or profitable - if it has to end at midnight.

The clampdown on after-hours clubs may be followed by a strict curfew for teenagers nationwide. Without a parent chaperone in tow, anyone under 18 must keep off the streets between 10pm and 4am. Visitors to entertainment venues must carry proof of identity or face fines up to the equivalent of £45. Anyone under 20 years old is supposed to be turned away.

Unsuprisingly, fake IDs are readily available, and red-light districts have recently attracted motorcycle gangs from rival schools. Clashes have resulted in murders, kidnappings and gang rapes. In an effort to curb crime, Thailand's government is reviving the Youth Protection Act, which has languished on the books since a military government passed it in 1972. A list of 16 "inappropriate behaviours" to be avoided by students is circulating. These include gambling, visiting brothels, carrying weapons and damaging property. Fair enough - but the blacklist also bans sex between consenting teenage partners, dyeing hair, skiving off class and using rude gestures, as well as going out in public after 10pm.

But there is a growing backlash against the "family values" promoted by the Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, who wants to impose the work ethic of stodgy Singapore on freewheeling Thailand. Last night, tens of thousands of defiant adolescent couples were intent on dancing till dawn with their Valentines. Multi-level discos off the Sukhumvit Road, such as X-Club and Q-Bar, were heaving with hormones.

In Thailand, Valentine's Day is an imported holiday that involves more than sending teddy bears or roses. Recent surveys revealed that 17 per cent of Thai schoolgirls choose to surrender their virginity on 14 February as the ideal token of love. Last night, police were put on alert to prevent "Valentine gang rapes", and pairs of cops were sent to motels, public parks, vacant lots, empty buildings and supposedly haunted houses on love patrol.

One factor that might temper the law-makers is the impact on tourism. At least 600,000 Britons visit Thailand each year. Under the new regulations, the entire resort island of Phuket will be deemed a "designated area", open until 2am. But until the government started regulating opening hours, many bars did not even open their doors until midnight. In Bangkok, 1,000 masseuses came out in broad daylight to protest against the government's prescribed fun zones in the capital. They demanded that far more space be allotted to entertainment venues.

"I believe we close earlier than any other city in Asia," said Chuwit Kamolvisit, a massage parlour tycoon who is running for mayor of Bangkok.
    15 February 2004 14:15

Search this site:

Printable Story
    Up The Ass Of Every Successful Business Man Lies a Ladboys Thick Long Cock!

Can someone tell me hoe Pattaya will be effected by these new laws? Thanks

Comment

Thats what ive been trying to find out mate...No1 appears to know cant find anything concrete on the net for the Various areas

Comment

From thaivisa.com

Patpong bars (special entertainment) can remain open until 2 am but soi nana and soi cowboy cannot. There are no other 'special entertainment' areas of interest to falangs in Thailand...ie., Pattaya, Phuket and Ko Samui must close at 12 am.

Bar owners in the last three areas have appealed so things may change between now and 01 March when the law is effective.

Protest and display your annoyance and take your business to KL or S'pore.

We must punish them...

Comment

Dear Beefy: Taking business to Malaysia (okay) or Singapore (yuck!) may or may not be the answer.
          Still, I support this idea.
          I will NOT be doing this myself, although Malaysia has always interested me SOMEWHAT.
          The key thing to contemplate:
          Will Thai society reshape itself into Taksin's mold?
          If he continues his successful carrot-and-stick politics, it just might....
          Stranger things have happened......
          Regardless, it will be a waiting game.....

Comment

the entire island of Phuket is designated an entertainment zone, as are the main parts of Pattaya that contain tourists.
            I recall Samui may not have yet opted into the Zoning however that is possible along with some other areas.Review of zoning draft tomorrow

Published on Feb 16, 2004

The Cabinet is scheduled to review draft legislation on closing times and entertainment zones tomorrow. The result will determine whether the authorities will be able to enforce a midnight-closing rule on all entertainment venues outside designated zones starting March 1.

"We will have to stick to the old rule until the ministerial regulation on entertainment zones comes into effect," Local Administration Department's director-general Prasart Pongsiwapai said yesterday.

The current rule allows entertainment venues to remain open till 2 am, depending on their type of services. Nightclubs can operate until 2 am, discotheques until 1 am, and lounges, bars and massage parlours until midnight.

"We will wait and see how the draft will come out," Presart said.

The midnight closing time, which is scheduled to take effect on March 1, will require all entertainment venues outside "designated zones" to shut their doors by midnight

Venues in the designated zones will get two more operating hours.

However, the enforcement of the new rule will be possible only after the entertainment-zoning draft legislation becomes law.

The draft, if approved, will regulate the designated zones. It is being prepared by Deputy Prime Minister Purachai Piumsombun and has already won approval from Interior Minister Wan Muhamad Noor Matha.

Meanwhile, massage-parlour tycoon Chuwit Kamolvisit urged the government to rezone entertainment areas and award more operating hours to tourist zones.

"Areas with large number of tourists like Patpong and Sukhumvit should be allowed to remain open till 3 am," he said. He recommended that the number of tourists in an area should be a major factor in determining at what time places must close.

However, even in areas with a light concentration of tourists, Chuwit called for a 1am closing time.

Chuwit planned to submit his proposals to the Office of the Prime Minister tomorrow.

Benjawan Somsin

THE NATION

Comment

I keep hearing various rumors from the bar workers on this. None of which are likely to be accurate.

Last night someone told me that Nana may be staying open, that they were working on it (read: the zoning board's payoff may be in the works).

Also, some girls at C&T in Patong said that Bangla was going to be a zoned area. According the the article above, however, all of Phuket will be. Which would of course be fantastic if it were true.

Comment

Damn lies and rumours!

Just a few more days and we will see exactly what is going on. I will be all over Bangkok on 1st of March and will report back exactly what is going on!

Comment

Much Appreciated Stogies....

Comment

It's no problem. I think that the beers for this important story are company expenses!

Comment

If theres anything that you need me to sign to say that i to believe that a story of this importance should be classed asi"In the line of duty. Please forward....

I will look for other areas for you to investigate. Not purely for free beer. But for the benefit of the Forum......lol...

Comment

Any word on the latest RUMOR:

Thai licensing/taxing fees on bars and other such entertainment venues are to be increased 1000%?

If any of you know, please let the rest of us know.
                        Quoting reputable sources will add credence, etc.
                        Mr. Lonely

Comment

Working...
                        X