X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Bad News?

Just heard that licensing fees for bars, massage parlours, et. al in Bangkok and throughout Thailand MAY increase by a margin of 1000%.
    Is this true?
    Or bullshit?
    Dear Readers:
    Please advise.......
    Mr. Lonely

I read the following article in a February edition of the Pattaya Mail. The article was related to what the local Pattaya business owners wanted to do but it concerns a nationwide movement by the government... The article is obviously biased towards the entertainment industry. My big concern is that tourism in general is doing okay in Thailand and the government feels it can still get decent revenues without the bars. These new laws are designed to destroy these types of businesses IMO.

Here's the article:

Local bar owners prepare to fight new government legislation

Suchada Tupchai

New regulations handed down by the central government have thrown our local entertainment industry into confusion and dread. A nationwide law that would drastically increase the price of their legal operating license and oblige most nightlife businesses to close at midnight will strike at the heart of the industry by choking off profits, throwing people out of work and weaken the country€™s flourishing tourist industry.

The stress of their predicament shows on many a bar owners€™ faces as they see an end to their livelihood if the new laws and licensing fees are implemented.

More than 200 bar owners from Naklua to Jomtien met last Thursday afternoon to set up a committee to fight the impending changes that would come about through new government legislation to control the entertainment industry. The meeting, held in Thappraya Soi 13, took place following recommendations made by local and provincial administrators.

The aim of the meeting was to elect a committee of bar owners who would then present their case and disagreements with the new laws that were scheduled to be finalized on February 6.

The main bones of contention with the majority of business operators include the hefty 50,000 baht business license and rigid opening and closing times - rumored to be from 6 p.m. to midnight. The owners predict the new regulations would destroy smaller businesses that operate in an already fierce atmosphere of competition for customers.

Many business owners see the new law as a threat to their constitutional right to earn a living and as such, are ready to fight tooth and nail to see the changes either overturned completely or more fairly modified.

During the meeting, a committee of 15 members was elected, each representing businesses in Naklua, North, Central and South Pattaya, Walking Street and Jomtien.

Kittiphumik Nichpaiboon, legal representative for the group said, €œThese new laws will destroy the city€™s tourism and entertainment industry and the effects will be far reaching and not just locally. We must fight for our right to earn a living and stop this draconic law.€

Samphan Chonharn was elected committee president and spokesperson for bar owners. He and committee members will present their case to the relevant officials charged with amending the entertainment laws.

Further discussions followed and a unanimous decision was made to present an official letter of protest to the government on February 3 and the situation will be monitored closely by the committee and business operators.

It was revealed that if the pertinent officials cannot be persuaded to change the regulations, a petition with 50,000 names will be presented to the government, as suggested by the mayor and the provincial governor, in an attempt to force a reversal of the law, as stated under the Thai Constitution.

One bar owner told reporters that the new law would irreparably damage smaller businesses, force them to close and leave many people without jobs.

€œIt€™s as if they want to cut our throats and slowly bleed us into submission,€ said another bar owner

Comment

The Philipines is lookin better every day...

Looser government and more conservative women! Hmmm... I think I'll like it!

Comment

The Philippines can be a lot of fun but one must remember that the crime rate there is out of control. Gun control is also a big problem in the PI. Everyone has one and are not afraid to use them - whether for defense or in the commission of a crime. Common sense usually prevails - always stay alert.

With that said the prices are awesome. Manila is very expensive compared to other parts of the country but still cheaper than Bangkok. Pattaya may be a little cheaper but not by much. Angeles City is by far the cheapest area to monger in. ST prices range around 300p to 500p ($5 to $9). LT prices average 1000p ($18). For those not familiar with how business is done in the PI. If you take a girl or LB from a bar the barfine is the total cost. I repeat the total cost. Freelancers charge the same. The advantage to using a freelancer is that the money is paid afterwards. Your guest may have more incentive to perform better. When you take from a bar the fine is paid up front therefore if you get a non-performer there's a chance the bar could stiff you the money - especially if you stuck your dick in her. The advantage of taking out of a bar is that you're not likely to get stuff stolen from you whereas a freelancer has no reason to worry about ramifications from a barowner if you complain. Also, believe it or not, all registered sex workers in bars (females and LBs) are required to go to a weekly medical examination (better known as smear).

Comment

I'm tired of commenting all this. LOS SUCKS BIG TIME!!!
          But what's much more interesting to me: How did you get this little pic in your posting, r_white??

MK
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdXtf-GHvU

Comment

Mai-Kee,

It's easy... In the pic above I right-clicked->Properties on the picture from the Pattaya Mail then copied the URL to my clipboard (cntrl-c). I then clicked on the Image button. A window will pop up and I paste (cntrl-v) to it. The string will appear at the bottom of my text window so I just cut and paste it where I want it to go.

Comment

YO JON !!! Do 'ya think that I could pass as a Philippino ?? And maybe not get shot at ??

DANNO
              You no care me DIE !!!

Comment

Yeah, I have heard that it is more dangerous there. Kind of like the wild west on acid! I'd still like to give it a go for a while. Not Angeles, but maybe Cebu. Gonna have a good natter with Jon about it when he comes back. That's if Salma has left anything!

Comment

Re: gun control in the Philippines. I do not really wish to get into a subject that is better addressed on the VIRTUAL REALITY FORUM but I must say something about this here after reading R's intelligent post.
                  Prior to the Marcos dictatorship, there was very little gun control in the Philippines.
                  After the Plaza Miranda bombing in 1971 - an event that took the lives of some prominent anti-Marcos politicians (who were probably a lot more crooked than the wily Ilocano), Marcos conveniently used this cooked-up incident to institute martial law in the Philippines. Under martial law, certain pistol calibers were effectively outlawed for civilian use (the .45ACP was one of them). Other pistol calibers remained legal but very much restricted.
                  As always, gun control masqueraded as crime control. In reality, it was political control (just as Hitler used gun control in Germany; Castro in Cuba; et. al).
                  Anyway, common crime skyrocketed in the Philippines after the Marcos gun control laws took effect.
                  Funny thing there: THE CRIMINALS DID NOT BOTHER TO REGISTER OR TURN IN THEIR GUNS.
                  But the honest Filipinos did - much to their regret.
                  In the 1980s and 1990s, the sucessive Filipino governments made gun control stiffer and stiffer.
                  With what kind of results?
                  From what I hear, crime in Metro Manila is worse than ever.
                  The Muslim terrorists on Sulu and in Zamboanga are more bold than ever (they did not turn in THEIR guns, either!)
                  And many honest Filipinos - forced to live in dangerous neighborhoods - cower in fear.
                  THE POLICE CANNOT PROTECT THEM.
                  Anyway, these are my thoughts on this issue.
                  I CERTAINLY MEAN NO DISRESPECT TO R. OR ANYONE ELSE WHO FEELS DIFFERENTLY.
                  And I do NOT intend to nurture an ongoing thread on this issue. Arguing is not really my forte in life. I prefer a more congenial approach. And I respect R.'s viewpoint and the viewpoints of others who may feel differently on this issue.
                  I have said enough. Let's move on to other issues.......
                  Mr. Lonely

Comment

Working...
                  X