Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have looked up Thai word translations on line. It is really too hard to learn. Thanks to all my friends for sending me the tip about Google Translate. Used it everyday in BKK and Pattaya. But still too much trouble to do it bed with my friends shaking me from the rear and grabbing my head like spearing me like a watermelon. Ayyy. Help! I cant BREATHE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by BKKsurfer View Post

English is a universal language that is spoken around the globe. Yet in three decades of mongering I’ve found more English people that have gone out of their way to learn Thai than any other nation.
      Sorry mate, I took the habit of staying away from English people in Thailand. English may be a universal language but since they master the language better than I will ever do, they know how to take advantage of it in a discussion or worse in a deal. They use the language but also concepts hidden in the language. I sometimes propose them to argue or deal in German since it's not my mother language but they don't want to. They should understand that anyone not so at ease in a language is neither retarded nor uneducated. I understood it when learning Vietnamese (that is the 5th language I use as a foreign language, the second one I studied without school).

I remember the last one who talked to me in English direct in Paris without even a word to apologize not to be able to say hello or excuse me in French. I screamed after him he was a rude idiot and that he had to say hello in French. Even when I am introduced to farangs in Asia, I say hello in the local labguage as much as I can. Why fucking English ? Why not Russian or Chinese as it may come soon. The only one who tried in Russian heard me too.

George Pill IMHO, you just need to learn a few words. Politeness is the most important. Be able to say "Sawadee Khrop", "Noong Krop/Noong Kha" and "bye". Just doing this, you show you don't treat them as natives in colonized country.

Comment

• Yes, I will buy a little pocket spiral notebook and write down some of the common sentences and words. I need to practice. So many things I haven't done in Thailand, so little time.

Comment

• Originally posted by P&G View Post

Sorry mate, I took the habit of staying away from English people in Thailand. English may be a universal language but since they master the language better than I will ever do, they know how to take advantage of it in a discussion or worse in a deal. They use the language but also concepts hidden in the language. I sometimes propose them to argue or deal in German since it's not my mother language but they don't want to. They should understand that anyone not so at ease in a language is neither retarded nor uneducated. I understood it when learning Vietnamese (that is the 5th language I use as a foreign language, the second one I studied without school).

I remember the last one who talked to me in English direct in Paris without even a word to apologize not to be able to say hello or excuse me in French. I screamed after him he was a rude idiot and that he had to say hello in French. Even when I am introduced to farangs in Asia, I say hello in the local labguage as much as I can. Why fucking English ? Why not Russian or Chinese as it may come soon. The only one who tried in Russian heard me too.

George Pill IMHO, you just need to learn a few words. Politeness is the most important. Be able to say "Sawadee Khrop", "Noong Krop/Noong Kha" and "bye". Just doing this, you show you don't treat them as natives in colonized country.
          I speak a few languages myself Spanish, Greek, Thai and Japanese. Always nice to be able to converse in a foreign language both at home and abroad.

Just reading your post there you say because the English guy in Paris couldn’t speak a word of French, poor effort by the English guy by the way. You screamed at him. Honestly if a guy screamed at me I would have knocked him out for being rude and obnoxious

Comment

• Originally posted by BKKsurfer View Post

I speak a few languages myself Spanish, Greek, Thai and Japanese. Always nice to be able to converse in a foreign language both at home and abroad.

Just reading your post there you say because the English guy in Paris couldn’t speak a word of French, poor effort by the English guy by the way. You screamed at him. Honestly if a guy screamed at me I would have knocked him out for being rude and obnoxious
            I just told him he didn't apologize, even in English. I can tell you f a foreigner punches me in Paris, he will have a bad time. If you come to France and don't speak French, don't assume people will speak English. I was just back from a summer job in England.

I did the same just a few years ago with a German guy. Not even a word to apologize or ask me if I can speak German. I can tell you that Thai or Viet people change their attitude if you're able to ask them if they speak English first instead of assuming they do.

Comment

• Yup in Montreal most won't speak English to you unless they know you, it is infuriating.
              Paris was even worse. In either place they don't even try to understand.

I took 10 years of French in school. All i can remember is Monsieur et Madame Thibault.
              I know every noun but cannot put together sentences well.
              Reading French, I can make sense of it, but conversations I cannot keep up with.
              Nobody speaks French for thousands of miles around me, so I never use it.

I think I probably know Thai better than French but it is the same. I know the Thai word for most things but do not know how to converse very well.

www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

• That’s the difference between some people I’ve been approached by many a foreign tourist who can’t speak English but I’ve always tried to help them out, even the ones who’s language I can not speak. Good manners cost nothing.

I know what you mean about Montreal, even a lot of cafes and restaurants have the menus in French.

I used Air France a couple of times but stopped using them as their staff are arrogant self centred as are the airport staff.

Transiting in Paris one trip a woman was shouting at a old man, he should have had his passport ready. A big laugh went up when he said I’m getting it out of my pocket and the lady shouted you should already have it out to which he replied I didn’t need it last time I was here when I landed on Normandy beach saving your cowardly arses.

I’ve worked alongside a few on operations and the only respect I have is for the Legion. Some good soldiers there

Comment

• I went to a pharmacy in Paris to get so gas tablets.
                  When I asked the girl in what I thought was proper French, she had no idea what i was saying.
                  I think she was faking it. I remember when Sony invented the Walkman, France invented a French name for it. Baton du musique.

Montreal is ridiculous, they went after an authentic Irish pub for not being French enough.
                  Plus many other ridiculous things.
                  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...h-pub-1.758457

Here are some other cases over the years that have attracted the interest of the language watchdog or people seeking to protect the French language:
                  • 1996: A woman warns the owner of a Quebec pet store she might get in touch with language authorities because Peekaboo, the parrot she wanted to buy, didn't speak French.
                  • 1999: The Old Navy chain is asked to rename its stores "La Vieille Rivière." It never happens.
                  • 2000: The owner of an Indian restaurant is told he's breaking the law by having coasters for "Double Diamond," a British beer.
                  • 2001: Some people express disappointment that race-car driver Jacques Villeneuve calls his restaurant "Newtown."
                  • 2005: Language authorities say they will investigate complaints that Montreal Mayor Gerald Tremblay's party used the word "Go" on its posters and pamphlets, as in "Go Montreal."
                  • 2007: Imperial Oil says it will keep its Quebec-only "Marché Express" name for its Esso gas stations after protests against a proposal to change the name to "On the Run," as they are known elsewhere in North America.
                  • 2007: About 50 people protest outside a Second Cup outlet to demonstrate against the words "Les cafés" being dropped from "Les cafés Second Cup" at some of the chain's outlets.
                  • 2007: Language activists decry that callers to many Quebec government offices are told to "press nine" for English before instructions are delivered in French. Some of the departments have since changed the message to put English at the end.
                  www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

• I visited Montreal back in 1990 and couldn’t believe the majority of restaurants menus are in French.

Thank god Toronto, Buffalo and Ottawa were much better. Loved the rest of Canada 🇨🇦 that we did the West coast two years later flying in to Vancouver

Comment

• Originally posted by Crag Rockheart View Post
                      I went to a pharmacy in Paris to get so gas tablets.
                      When I asked the girl in what I thought was proper French, she had no idea what i was saying.
                      I think she was faking it. I remember when Sony invented the Walkman, France invented a French name for it. Baton du musique.

Montreal is ridiculous, they went after an authentic Irish pub for not being French enough.
                      Plus many other ridiculous things.
                      https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...h-pub-1.758457

Here are some other cases over the years that have attracted the interest of the language watchdog or people seeking to protect the French language:
                      • 1996: A woman warns the owner of a Quebec pet store she might get in touch with language authorities because Peekaboo, the parrot she wanted to buy, didn't speak French.
                      • 1999: The Old Navy chain is asked to rename its stores "La Vieille Rivière." It never happens.
                      • 2000: The owner of an Indian restaurant is told he's breaking the law by having coasters for "Double Diamond," a British beer.
                      • 2001: Some people express disappointment that race-car driver Jacques Villeneuve calls his restaurant "Newtown."
                      • 2005: Language authorities say they will investigate complaints that Montreal Mayor Gerald Tremblay's party used the word "Go" on its posters and pamphlets, as in "Go Montreal."
                      • 2007: Imperial Oil says it will keep its Quebec-only "Marché Express" name for its Esso gas stations after protests against a proposal to change the name to "On the Run," as they are known elsewhere in North America.
                      • 2007: About 50 people protest outside a Second Cup outlet to demonstrate against the words "Les cafés" being dropped from "Les cafés Second Cup" at some of the chain's outlets.
                      • 2007: Language activists decry that callers to many Quebec government offices are told to "press nine" for English before instructions are delivered in French. Some of the departments have since changed the message to put English at the end.
                      I had screamed after this guy in the 1980's. At that time, France made the law to protect the French language respected. It's quite normal. What I reproached this guy was his arrogance. We all know that not every foreigner can speak English. We also have arrogant people who didn't study English at school (although attending lessons) and will just let any English speaking tourist do with their Frenglish or French.
                      When I was in Ontario, I asked people what language they would prefer. A girl just replied she didn't care but my French had a strong accent. She made me laugh.

Rules defending "French" culture in Quebec are sometimes too strict. I stayed a couple of minutes in front of a "PFK" wondering what that was in the USA. I jut couldn't remember.

Comment

• Just don't go to France. Cannot anyway. Try touring through YouTube.

I just love museums around the world, Did visit the Vatican and didn't even know they had a fantastic museum. Will try finding my 2012 European 12 nation tour and show you my photos.

Comment

• George, I live in France.

Comment

• My tour failed to get us a ride up to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Seems you have a lot of foreigners who hate France. Don't understand why they even moved there.

Still would love to visit the Louvre Museum. Loved the Victoria and Albert Museum in London in 2012. Fantastic and so big. How did they even get the Roman stone carved pillar all the way to London? Fantastic photography trip. Too much to shoot. Now will just have to buy a big living room table book.

Comment

• When i was in Paris the Eiffel tower was closed due to theft issues or something.

I was finally able to get my ladyboy into Canada.
                              I took her to the Vimy Ridge memorial. Canada's greatest victory.....
                              France had give this land to Canada in gratitude for defeating the Germans in WW1
                              I couldn't get her into the real Canada so this was second best.

IMG_4423.JPG
                              Attached Files
                              www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Crag Rockheart View Post
                                When i was in Paris the Eiffel tower was closed due to theft issues or something.

I was finally able to get my ladyboy into Canada.
                                I took her to the Vimy Ridge memorial. Canada's greatest victory.....
                                France had give this land to Canada in gratitude for defeating the Germans in WW1
                                I couldn't get her into the real Canada so this was second best.

IMG_4423.JPG
                                Definitely a stunner was Cake.

Comment

Working...
                                X