Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leyna Bloom is Sports Illustrated first Black & Asian Transgender in Swimsuit Edition

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leyna Bloom is Sports Illustrated first Black & Asian Transgender in Swimsuit Edition

Here is an article from CNN
    http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F210317145432-lenya-bloom-sports-illustrated-restricted.jpg

Leyna Bloom is the first first Black and Asian transgender woman to be featured in a Swimsuit Issue of Sports Illustrated, hitting stands in July.

The American model and actress initially made headlines as the first trans woman of color to star in a movie that premiered at Cannes Film Festival, 2019's "Port Authority."

In a statement to CNN Style, Sports Illustrated praised Leyna Bloom's "undeniable sense of self that shines through the minute she walks on set."

"(Leyna's) story represents one grounded in resilience and we couldn't be more thrilled to help her tell it," the statement continued. "Her presence as the first trans woman of color to be in our issue is a result of her lifetime dedication to forging her own path that has led to acceptance, love and change. She represents every person's right to love themselves and be who they want to be."

Sports Illustrated has marked a number of firsts in recent history. In 1997, Tyra Banks became the first Black woman to have a solo cover featured on SI's Swimsuit Issue. Ashley Graham became one of the title's first plus-size cover models in 2016, and in 2019, Banks returned and became the publication's oldest cover star.

Bloom, who is Black and Filipina, is only the second transgender woman to ever be featured in a Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue. Last year, Brazilian model Valentina Sampaio became the first. Bloom told CNN Style that being in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue "is an incredible feeling and achievement," but added "that there's still so much work to be done for more representation."

In an interview with Good Morning America, Bloom said she "never imagined" that she would be "born in a time when something like this would happen to someone with (her) skin tone."

To celebrate, the model posted an image from the shoot on her Instagram with the caption: "This is what it looks like to be in full bloom."

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

She is beautiful and it is great she can model.
    I am getting a little tired of "the first black asian transgender" to do this and that and the other thing.
    The only reason they say this is that it is a magazine founded in a country founded by white people. (who are all racists I guess?)
    She is not the first trans or black or asian, so they string it all together to make some new diversity?

If our society was truly diverse we wouldn't have to constantly point this stuff out.
    Isn't the point that she is a beautiful woman? I always thought the point of trans is that they are now women? Did I miss something?

It is a good thing to discuss on the forum I just hate how everything is so blown out of proportion this way.

She is a beautiful woman that deserves to appear in the magazine, I'm not trying to take away from that.
    www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

She is beautiful, no doubt about it. I think the promotion of her being the "First ..." has to do with marketing. There must be some marketing advisors telling them this will help sell more issues and get more media attention.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
      Membership Levels
      The Rookie Thread
      New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
      Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Originally posted by rxpharm View Post
        She is beautiful, no doubt about it. I think the promotion of her being the "First ..." has to do with marketing. There must be some marketing advisors telling them this will help sell more issues and get more media attention.
        Yes this is popular today to point out that colored and asian and transgendered people can achieve things.

This type of marketing however points to the slient villian that doesn't actually exist.

I have no doubt Asians would have success in all fields as they are not a minority in any sense at all.
        Asians are more than half the world population.
        Blacks are all over the world and very successful especially in sports. There is also an entire continent that almost entirely Black.

The fact that the world has taken a liking to American culture has not meant that somehow the world is a White Supremist haven.
        It is not the color of peoples skin that is the reason people like it, it is the composition and freedom and likeablility of the culture.
        A culture that is welcoming to all despite what everyone is told now.

There is haters of all races but now days apparently the entirety of one races is 100% racist and intolerant toward everyone all the time.

The only reason Caucasian societies advanced faster than others was probably the fact they lived in non-hospitable climates.
        When it gets very cold you have good reason to invent stuff to make your life better and explore other places that might be more comfortable.
        You cannot just sleep outside and food is not readily available in harsh climates like Canada or Northern Europe.

When the weather is warm and food falls off trees all year around, there is less motivation to improve your position.

As far as transgenders go they are pretty much accepted in society. Except lately they just want to shove it down everyone's throats.
        The point of being transgender used to be that you become the opposite sex. Now that is totally not the case.
        Trangenders used to only want to be identified as the sex they hoped to be, not be labelled as trans.

It has gone so far as you only need to say you are a woman to be transgendered and you can switch back and forth at any time to get your desired outcomes. It is out of control.

Here they are not recognizing individual success as much as the success of promoting some type of diversity that already exists.
        I always thought transgendered wanted to blend in as their chosen gender, not exposed and singled out for it.
        It seems too say they are not as good and must be forcibly inserted into society, which is far from the case.

Now models are chosen on their genetic makeup rather than their overall beauty.
        Just like job candidates are now chosen on their skin color and sexual orientation, rather than their acutal qualifications.

www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Working...
        X