Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about airport layover

Hello, I hope everyone is doing well
    My flight from Vancouver Canada to Bangkok Thailand will involve an airport layover.
    When booking the flight I can choose between different routes and layover durations.
    Most of the choices are:

China HKG
    Korea ICN
    Singapore SIN
    Japan NRT
    Philippines

This will be my first time traveling internationally, maybe one airport is a better choice, or maybe to avoid?
    Also how much time is best for a layover, just in case my flight is delayed I don't want to miss my connecting flight.

Thanks

I would choose Hong Kong if you can. The airport is great & easy to navigate. Then there is a very short flight to Bangkok after that.
    All the others have a longer flight to Bangkok. I also like Hong Kong airport out of all of them although never been to PI.

Your layover should be 2-3 hour optimumly. You will need to pass security again to get to your gate & take a train to another terminal.
    Any time I have booked the flight all the way through on Air Canada I always made the connecting flight. If you book on the same airline all the way through they will get you there even if you miss your connecting flight. In Seoul I got lost & didn't make it to my flight one time. It was my fault but it was a short connection. Air Canada put me on a flight to Bangkok an hour later.
    After flying to Bangkok from Canada 28 times on Air Canada, just missed my connection that one time.
    www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Hey, thanks
      I will follow your advice. In the past I have checked out your trip reports, lots of good information and great photos.
      Thanks again

Comment

On these matters, Rockheart is the voice of experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Escierto View Post
          On these matters, Rockheart is the voice of experience.
          Flying from Canada to Bangkok I'm specifically experienced. From 2007-2018 I flew there 28 times.
          Haven't been for 6 years now & my ex is still stalking me.
          www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Originally posted by brucey View Post
            Hey, thanks
            I will follow your advice. In the past I have checked out your trip reports, lots of good information and great photos.
            Thanks again
            There is lots of reports for sure. I haven't been to Hong Kong in the last few years so not sure how it is now with the crackdowns. I haven't heard anything bad though.
            I mostly liked Hong Kong because you get most of the flight over with and just have a quick flight to Bangkok, plus they have many many flights to Bangkok.
            Flying with Air Canada all those years I always had top status so I always had Star Alliance lounge access which was great for these long flights. I liked the Hong Kong lounge the best which was another reason it was my top choice. Comfortable and great food in their lounge. The Airline lounges in BKK are fantastic too and there is many of them I could go to when flying out. When I had longer layovers in Hong Kong I took the train into downtown a couple times.
            www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

The Hong Kong layover is a risk if you are Chinese and/or if you have ever posted or supported something the Chinese Communist party doesn't like. Something like supporting Taiwan or the democracy movement (now pretty much crushed) in Hong Kong, criticism of the Chinese Community Party - then it is likely better to transit through Seoul, Taipei or Japan. If you are flying from Canada, Air Canada has a direct Vancouver to Bangkok flight - but generally more expensive.

There are documented instances where people have been detained during Hong Kong transit, and there is no recourse since the Hong Kong government, police and military are all under CCCP control.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
              Membership Levels
              The Rookie Thread
              New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
              Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

I transited through Hong Kong last year. I am no fan of the CCCP but I had no problems. A search of the internet shows that rxpharm is definitely right. In fact a Canadian government travel advisory specially mentions the risk to people in transit.

I loved Hong Kong when I visited in 2018 and it's sad to see the Chinese hell bent on destroying everything that was wonderful about it. They are on the wrong side of history!

Comment

Originally posted by rxpharm View Post
                  The Hong Kong layover is a risk if you are Chinese and/or if you have ever posted or supported something the Chinese Communist party doesn't like. Something like supporting Taiwan or the democracy movement (now pretty much crushed) in Hong Kong, criticism of the Chinese Community Party - then it is likely better to transit through Seoul, Taipei or Japan. If you are flying from Canada, Air Canada has a direct Vancouver to Bangkok flight - but generally more expensive.

There are documented instances where people have been detained during Hong Kong transit, and there is no recourse since the Hong Kong government, police and military are all under CCCP control.
                  It's probably still fine for most Canadians. It's been under CCCP control the whole time I've been going there.

The Vancouver - Bankok flight is a good option but only appears to be available November - April.
                  www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Originally posted by Escierto View Post
                    I transited through Hong Kong last year. I am no fan of the CCCP but I had no problems. A search of the internet shows that rxpharm is definitely right. In fact a Canadian government travel advisory specially mentions the risk to people in transit.

I loved Hong Kong when I visited in 2018 and it's sad to see the Chinese hell bent on destroying everything that was wonderful about it. They are on the wrong side of history!
                    Most normal westerners shouldn't have trouble going through the airport. I wouldn't be too likely to visit the city again but I've been there 3 times & seen most of everything except Disneyland.
                    www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Working...
                    X