Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a review of the camera

Canon S90

The S90 marks the re-introduction of Canon€™s acclaimed PowerShot S series. Aimed at the serious amateur or professional photographer, it combines full manual capability with the simple design of a point-and-shoot, all in a pocket size camera with near-DSLR performance. Unsurprisingly, it comes with the hefty price tag of £449.

Verdict

Using the S90, the combination of user-friendly technology, small size and sheer DSLR power is quite addictive. With this new S-series model Canon has raised the bar on compact camera technology, but there's more to a camera than circuitry and some handling issues need to be addressed. Yet, despite some design flaws and slow performance, you can't help but love this camera. ®

Comment

I've never had any problem with the rear wheel, although I've read the gripes.
      The UK and Oz pricing is insane, £449 vs $430 ? ? someone at Canon is missing a brain.
      There really is no reason to shoot RAW (unless you're going underwater). I played with RAW and like all the reviews said you really can't improve over what the camera does for JPEG.
      However if you do want to go underwater you have two good options, Canons $200 housing or Iklelite's $320.
      I got the Ikelite, mostly because it was available first, but it's the more 'professional' model and allows for UW lens attachments.
      "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

I recently purchased a Sanyo Xacti VPC-CA9 Digital Video Camera. Shoots 720P video at 30fps and has a 9 Megapixel Still Camera with built in Flash. I was originally got it because I was scheduled to stay at Nang Fah and as an added bonus, the camera is waterproof, so I hoped to get a few interesting underwater shots in the pool, lol.

It is not the best Video Camera, but for a cheap buy (¥25,000 on Amazon Japan) for web use and playback on my Mac, it really can not be beat. Its short comings do show up on large HDTV screens, but for a 24 inch computer moniter it is perfect.

But I will let you guys decide when you see the results. Will be sure to share my pics and vids with the board when I arrive on the 18th!
        "I love the smell of Ladyboy in the morning, it smells like victory"  

Comment

I have a Canon S80, and the S 90 is clearly loads better in low light - but it's the Panasonic LX3 that I lust after now, or one of these big cameras, such as Burenboy uses for his great pics.
          None of which begin to approach the S 90 for stealth - it's tiny (a technical term we sometimes use).
          The Ancient Greeks had it right - women for breeding, boys for pleasure.
          We're just coming back to the same place.

Comment

my canon s90 pics
            Attached Files

Comment

more
              Attached Files

Comment

Cant"t wait to take my Panasonic LX3 to LOS.  Hopefully by then I will have learned how to use it to its fullest potential.

Comment

(fridgemagnet @ Dec. 14 2009,03:33) I have a Canon S80, and the S 90 is clearly loads better in low light - but it's the Panasonic LX3 that I lust after now, or one of these big cameras, such as Burenboy uses for his great pics.
                  None of which begin to approach the S 90 for stealth - it's tiny (a technical term we sometimes use).
                  BB uses a Canon G10, the previous model to the G11. The S90 uses the same componetry as the G11. Where the bigger G10/11 wins out is it has a better lens & a superior flash. If the flash is not taken into account, the S90 offers similar picture quality in a true pocket camera.

And the S90 doesn't compromise on lens speed having a very fast f2 lens that makes its low light performance complete. Canon have very cleverly designed the S90 to drop down to 2.5 MP on Candlelight setting. This takes away some of the fine detail but allows acceptable shots in dark places.

Perfect for bars where photos are banned. With no flash, how do they know?

I personally like a decent flash & would prefer to be able to light my pics properly but if stealth is important, the size & ability of the S90 makes it a world beater.

The Panasonic LX3 was the standard in pocket cameras but better than any of them IMO is the Panasonic DMC-GF1, their new 4/3 model offering DSLR quality in a small body camera. However it isn't pocket size, it isn't really a light weight camera plus with its zoom lens, it is big to be hanging off a belt.

With its standard lens of f1.7 & a large size sensor, this thing should take excellent low light pics but I can't see it ever competing with the S90. It does have a good built-in flash but is about twice the price & double the weight of the S90.

I look forward to seeing more pics posted taken by the S90, particularly some taken with its flash on. Now that will be interesting.
                  Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

I found this website that allows for comparing images of the same or very similar subjects as produced by two different cameras.  
                    1.  Select the two cameras
                    2.  Select the sample images.
                    You can zoom the samples and move around them.  
                    Click Here

Comment

Last night at Cascades, while no one was looking.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ahhhh, a drink with the lads at Cascades...      

It gives a whole new meaning to a night out with the boys...             Nice pics BTW Snick (and nobody suspected a thing)
                        Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

(pacman @ Dec. 14 2009,02:12) Perfect for bars where photos are banned. With no flash, how do they know?
                          A bright red light shoots out in the direction of the subject.
                          Meum cerebrum nocet

Comment

You can turn off the red "AF assist focus light"

Comment

Great pics good stuff !
                              Ernesto
                              Ernest

Comment

Working...
                              X