Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elvis DVD and other English DVD's

Hi Guys and Gals,
    Where is the best place to buy English language DVD's? I know many of you buy them in BKK and you must have your favorite place to buy them. I'm also looking for a specific Elvis one too. Friday I am buying a new TV and DVD player and I need to buy a few DVD's to keep myself and the kids entertained. Out in Surin, all I ever saw was Thai speaking ones, so I figure on Thursday while I'm roaming about looking for a cell phone, I'll pick up a few.

Also, can anyone suggest a good cell phone? I know there are tons out there, but I want just a basic one that does a decent job. I don't need all the gadgets, just as long as I can call people on it.

Have a GREAT night........and as always......THANKS!
    Nhscotsman

You can buy DVDs for 100 baht each or 6 for 500 Baht almost anywhere but I go to Seacon Square. Good for concerts as well as movies.

I have about 500 if you want to borrow a box full!

As for a cell phone... what's your budget? You can buy a nice new one for 1,000 baht at Tesco Lotus or the N95 for 22,000 baht from MBK...

They all work fine.

More important is the DVD player you are buying. Make sure it plays the fake formats and is designed for hot weather use. Buy a name brand you trust and not some cheap shitty one that will burn out after a couple of months.

Comment

(stogie bear @ Sep. 10 2007,12:51) You can buy DVDs for 100 baht each or 6 for 500 Baht almost anywhere but I go to Seacon Square. Good for concerts as well as movies.

I have about 500 if you want to borrow a box full!

As for a cell phone... what's your budget? You can buy a nice new one for 1,000 baht at Tesco Lotus or the N95 for 22,000 baht from MBK...

They all work fine.

More important is the DVD player you are buying. Make sure it plays the fake formats and is designed for hot weather use. Buy a name brand you trust and not some cheap shitty one that will burn out after a couple of months.
      I figured you would have a suggestion for the movies.....I should have just messaged you directly...haha.

The cell, I saw a Nokia 1110i for $1190 baht at Tesco and though it's just a basic phone, the reviews were excellent on it and I never buy a phone that is top of the line anyway. I use it just to call people with. I don't care if it's going to take pictures or not, I carry a camera for that. The gadgets I have found usually take away from the overall power of the camera anyway.

As far as the DVD player.....stay with a brand name.....Panasonic, ect. versus shopping with price in mind? If I buy one and find it's not good, how easy would it be for my GF to return things to stores like Big C or Lotus for an exchange? Does it work like it does in America?

Thanks for the info SB,
      Nhscotsman

Comment

Same as America but the players are so cheap why bother.

If it breaks within 30 days take it to the shop. They come with a standard one year warranty which probably means absolutely nothing! You'll not want to send in a $100 item to get fixed and wait for 3 months without one so you'll do what we all do... buy another one!

If you go cheap then at least buy it from a big store like Tescos who will be more inclined to honor the 30 day return policy. Some smaller shops only offer 7 days so you'll have to be quick if her kids decide to use it as a toaster.

The Tescos phone sounds perfect for the money. But don't show it to your students when you get a job. As I said before - teaching English is all about style over substance. Your worth as a teacher will depend more on the phone you have than any ability you have to empart your wonderful teaching skills of the English language! They won't understand your reasoning that you don't 'dig the extras!' I'll bet other members here can recall at least one instance when a Thai aquaintance has jokingly mentioned their crap phone.

Yep - it's shallow... welcome to Thailand!

Comment

(stogie bear @ Sep. 10 2007,18:12) Same as America but the players are so cheap why bother.

If it breaks within 30 days take it to the shop. They come with a standard one year warranty which probably means absolutely nothing! You'll not want to send in a $100 item to get fixed and wait for 3 months without one so you'll do what we all do... buy another one!

If you go cheap then at least buy it from a big store like Tescos who will be more inclined to honor the 30 day return policy. Some smaller shops only offer 7 days so you'll have to be quick if her kids decide to use it as a toaster.

The Tescos phone sounds perfect for the money. But don't show it to your students when you get a job. As I said before - teaching English is all about style over substance. Your worth as a teacher will depend more on the phone you have than any ability you have to empart your wonderful teaching skills of the English language! They won't understand your reasoning that you don't 'dig the extras!' I'll bet other members here can recall at least one instance when a Thai aquaintance has jokingly mentioned their crap phone.

Yep - it's shallow... welcome to Thailand!
          Yeah......I have dealt with the little Mama & Papa stores before and found them not very dependable. Buying electronics I would still with the Big C's/Tesco's for the return aspect alone. I'll go searching on Thursday when I'm out buying a phone.

Cell phone etiquette is same in the states. Kids look at a cheap phone and they ask why? Trying to explain that you're only calling people with the damn thing, they just don't get it. But then again, my own GF thinks the same way too as the kids. Her 3400 baht phone is not the phone she wanted, the one she wanted was 12,000 baht, but considering "I" was paying, I said what she had. The fact that it works VERY well doesns't really matter to her, the fact that it didn't flip, and the camera storage wasn't expecially large did. Thank god it was the right color (Red) though, the color meant more to her than anything else did....haha. Thai women do like particular colors when they buy things, even though it' just going in their purses.

My own son showed me his new $200.00 phone yesterday and thought I would be impressed, I wasn't....haha. Especially considering his car payment is due and he can't drive the friggen phone....lol. But, when you're in college and 19, the phone is the important thing to buy I guess. We all had our priorities when we were 19.

Thanks for the info SB.....
          Nhscotsman

Comment

Working...
          X