Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mate's Money Moral Matters!

It's a hypothetical situation...

Every day for the last six months Trevor has given Brian a ride to work. As they work together it's not really costing him anything. Brian on the other hand saves a fortune in train fares and he also gets to work about 45 minutes faster than he would if he was forced to take the train and walk to the office that they both share!

They aren't really what you would call 'good friends' but they do work together and they get on OK. But Trevor is finding that keeping his car on the road is becoming increasingly more expensive, so he's asked his colleague to chip in and pay for his free rides to work in future.

Should Brian start chipping in? He's said that as it's not his car he shouldn't have to pay for the maintenance, ownership costs and taxes, etc. After all he's been tagging along for a while now and it's never been an issue in the past.

Fair enough, but actually - apart from commuting Trevor doesn't even use his car that much! He doesn't want to make his workmate get the train each day as it's actually no real inconvenience to give him a ride but he feels he should get something for his trouble.

What do you think? What would YOU do if you were one of the people in this imaginary scenario?

If I were Brian I would€™ve offered to help out with gas.
    If I were Trevor I would€™ve asked Brian to help pay for gas, or maybe asked him to buy me lunch once or twice a week.
    I figure some kind of a deal would have to be worked out so there€™d be no resentment on either side, especially if they€™re working together.
    Cheers,
    -J
    "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
    Salin' on a summer breeze
    And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
    -Harry Nilsson

Comment

Yeah, Brian should pay for the petrol.
      seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

I agree. That's standard practice in carpooling. Even if he paid anywhere up to the cost of the bus/train whatever he would otherwise use, he'd still be getting a much more direct, faster, nicer, and more convenient ride for the same price.

He should definately contribute. As I said, anything up the to cost of his next best alternative would be a deal for him, he would be a jerk not to pay it. The bus doesn't give him individualized pick-up and a nice individual space and straight to work ride in a short time.

Comment

I think Brian should contribute or if they are both   at least give Trevor a "chew" en route
          Your got yer Mother in a whirl
          Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

I agree Brian should pay. This reminds of the guy who comes to pub every Friday night and is always the last in the shout and when it is his turn he decides he has to go home.

Comment

They're both wankers...Trevor for allowing it to go on for 6 months and not saying anything...and Brian for not volunteering to cough up some bucks on his own...

I say take the car away from Trevor using the "you're too much of a woose for not speaking up for yourself earlier" rule...and the rail pass from Brian using the "your're too cheap so you don't get to ride for free" rule...

Then make them both walk...maybe they'll get to know each other better...shrink their fat asses...

There is always someone going to the same place I'm going...just a matter of how they get there...
              "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

(ozzie @ Aug. 15 2007,20:43) This reminds of the guy who comes to pub every Friday night and is always the last in the shout and when it is his turn he decides he has to go home.

Stogie
                Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

How can you say that - he bought a round in 2003!!
                  seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

That's absolutely correct. I remember, because I was drinking lemonade and everyone else had fucked off home!

Comment

(stogie bear @ Aug. 15 2007,22:15) [i]
                      Brian should have been slipping Trevor some money each week from the very beginning anyway, but even if Trevor had said No No No all along, now that there might be expenses being occurred now, he could at least start offering the money again. Look at the amount of both time and money Brian has saved since starting the carpooling.

Nhscotsman

Comment

If Brian didn't volunteer to help out with gas from the beginning he's a Maybe Trevor thought it was a short time deal, then when it got into 6 months and the isn't offering he has to ask.

Comment

I feel bad for Trevor because he's already said that it's no hassle and extra expense to take his colleague to work each day and he's being made to feel like the bad guy for asking for some help with the bills.

Trevor should think twice about even having a car if he only uses it for work and I reckon he should offer to sell the car to his workmate!

Actually if I was Trevor I'd say something like... "In future I'll be getting to the office at 4am so be ready because I don't want to be late..." After the first day he misses the ride I'd say that that as he can't be relied on to be where he's supposed to be I can't take the chance of ruining my career waiting for someone who may not ever show up on time.

However; if he's willing to cough up for a 50% share of the cost of getting to work I'd agree to change my schedule back to the 9 till 5 it was before! Also - it's a month in advance... each month!

Trevor's a bit of a pussy for allowing the guy to freeloads off him for 6 months. You can't blame Brian for trying to manipulate him into as much free shit as possible!

Comment

So what's the point of this hypothetical exercise SB?

If it's a test, I flunked...
                            "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

Brian should definitely pay his share from here on in and is a bit of a cunt for not offering to do so before now while taking full advantage of Trevor's very generous gesture.

Comment

Working...
                              X