Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philippine Blues

Just back from another trip to Phil.

On the return leg...asked a cop near my building where to get a taxi. He said wait. Got one. He made the taxi pay him 50 pesos.

Got to airport. Security checking the taxi made him pay 20 peso to get through.

Taxi didn't turn on meter so tried to charge me double fair, then added in the 70 peso he had to pay the cop and airport security.

Went to enter airport. Security said ticket was for another day, maybe big trouble (it had been changed). Was looking for 100 peso to ignore it.

Checked in. New law requires ZERO liquids on flights (versus max 100ml as in every other country in the world who does this). Had to go back check in bag. Lady said likely things will get stolen in the bag, better lock it up.

I've been there about 100 times but the corruption and petty bribes never cease to amaze me. This was a whopping 1 hour example.

I was in the Philippines back in 2004, just spent 4 days in Makati. Did not feel comfortable there. Not as extreme as your story, it seemed that people expected something every time.

Might be worse now as their economy is no better if not worse than 3 years ago.

I have heard Indonesia might be worse - but Bali was ok when I visited there in April. Not sure about the other areas though.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Thanks for just confirming what I (thought I) already knew. The PI is a fucking shit hole.

And what a shame that there are so many of the worlds most beautiful women stuck there...

Your one hour of discontent has saved me a life time of indecision!

I'd rather go to Africa than that dump...

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jun. 08 2007,03:27) Thanks for just confirming what I (thought I) already knew. The PI is a fucking shit hole.

And what a shame that there are so many of the worlds most beautiful women stuck there...
        You are way too generous.

I think they are a bunch of conniving bitches with love-handles.

The national culture of PI has warped their personalities and outlook, and the western diet has slackened their waistlines.

Comment

its worst in manila, but elsewhere its just how things work and a few pesos here and there can make life more convinient (i.e. security guards getting u through packed airports in a flash).
          taxi drivers in manila are notorious cunts, i remember having to stop 5 taxis just to find one who would take me a few miles away for regular price.
          but its most annoying when they try to fuck u for being foreign- 50 pesos for trike rides in angeles that would cost 5 pesos elsewhere is one example.

Comment

Well Guys,  

This certainly seems as if its a bashing towards the Phil as a whole country.  While I have never been there yet (but soon will be going with my soon to be wife), I find it hard to believe every single person is corupt.  It does sound tho as if many are.

I can say that (soon to be from the Phil) Mrs Doc has said be careful that people don't try to rip me off or steal from me or kidnap me etc.....

She said there are some places to go that are safe, I think she means so long as I am with her.

Just remember the small bribes as you put it, make life easier and they are small.  Its about 50 Pesos to the USD.  Not too bad for express lines or saftey
            You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

(sangabriel @ Jun. 08 2007,03:31)
              (stogie bear @ Jun. 08 2007,03:27) Thanks for just confirming what I (thought I) already knew. The PI is a fucking shit hole.

You are way too generous.

I think they are a bunch of conniving bitches with love-handles.

The national culture of PI has warped their personalities and outlook, and the western diet has slackened their waistlines.
              SB is right there are very many sexy Women and LB there and in the USA.

I would disagree with all due respect, that they are all warped bitches with love-handles.   Sorry if you had a bad time at some point.

I would agree those that eat   and live with western diets do seem to pack on some pounds, but not all of them.

There many very cute and sexy Women and LB from Phil both there and here.  My Sexy Phil LB has both a great personality and sexy looks and is an RN making big bucks to boot  
              You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

(SamplerDoc @ Jun. 08 2007,06:42) Well Guys,  

This certainly seems as if its a bashing towards the Phil as a whole country.  While I have never been there yet (but soon will be going with my soon to be wife), I find it hard to believe every single person is corupt.  It does sound tho as if many are.

I can say that (soon to be from the Phil) Mrs Doc has said be careful that people don't try to rip me off or steal from me or kidnap me etc.....

She said there are some places to go that are safe, I think she means so long as I am with her.

Just remember the small bribes as you put it, make life easier and they are small.  Its about 50 Pesos to the USD.  Not too bad for express lines or saftey
                If your fiance is Filipino watch out, she probably sees deep pockets, Doc. Hope you have a pre-nup.

Comment

I think samplerdoc is ok. His fiance is a nurse - who are in high demand and make high salaries right now, especially since she is in the USA.

However a pre-nup is a good idea for any wealthy person getting married to a gg or an lb who wants to make sure the assets are protected in case things don't work out.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
                  Membership Levels
                  The Rookie Thread
                  New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
                  Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

It's a while since I have been to either country  -  but I used to find the corruption in PI to be bad and in Indonesia to be nearly unbelievable.

At least in PI they would back down when they realised they had gone too far!

RR.
                    Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                    Kahuna

Comment

My wife is Pinay but I refuse to ever go back to the PI for a visit.  The last time I was there was in 1992.  The girls and countryside are beautiful -- the rest oh well.

A few examples of what turned me off were:

Manila Zoo:  Posted prices were for locals - tourists - Americans.  The American price was double that of the locals.  My wife was (still is) stateside working and sending money to support relatives and I GET CHARGED DOUBLE FOR BEING AMERICAN?

Filipino Village:  Nice tourist attraction -- same pricing scam.  Open discrimination against Americans.

Manila:  so filthy I nicknamed it Basuraville (Garbage Town).

My wife's parents have resided with us 23 years.  For the most part I like Filipinas (and a few of the Fil LBs who post on this forum are knockouts) and Filipinos but cannot believe the open discrimination against Americans.  Filipinos come to the USA and pay the same prices as Americans do.

Oh well, just my thoughts.

Rebel Ray

Comment

whats supprising about americans paying more in other countries or any tourist for that matter. it happens live with it or don't go.

i have been to the phillipines also. i loved the country but like most poor countries you start feeling like a walking atm machine to everyone. you just have to learn to fight for the price that u want to pay. also be able to walk away from the person charging the triple price if not more then they would a local. i personally start acting irate and raise my voice a little telling the person i live in which ever city i am at the time. i also inform them my wife is a local and as such i do not need another local trying to scam me. so far it has worked everytime and i get a much better price if not the same price. also i get treated much better.

that said manila is a shit hole as are all the large cities.also most of the gg and lb in said cities are not worth pissing on. to find the truly nice people of the phillipines u need to leave the city and go to the small villages in the country. truly nice and fantastic people.

in all i will most likely go back to the phillipines but i will get the hell out of the large cities and to the smaller coastal villages.

Comment

The 2 tiered pricing scheme exists in Thailand too!

While I generally like Filipinos and Filipinas the 'walking ATM machine' feeling is so strong in Manila, that you feel, and I think it is largely true about any employee who contacts you, that they want a tip.

My last trip to Boracay, I counted 23 people who wanted a tip from when I left my hotel to the airport.

The hotel. The hotel guy who carried your bag. The guy who took the bag to the boat. The guy who took the bag from the boat. The tuk tuk driver to the airport. The security guard at the airport. The security guard at the other airport. The porter who grabbed your bag. The guy who opened the door to the taxi, ....

Generally, they over-employee, so for example, in the airport I believe there were about 6 different people who checked my ticket; all totally useless, but this over-employment creates a long chain of people who want tips.

Comment

Damn, the PI sounds so much more unattractive when you put it this way. With all the horror stories I've read, I don't recall ever seeing a positive story, I might as well forget going to the PI.
                            I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Jun. 08 2007,02:53) Just back from another trip to Phil.

On the return leg...asked a cop near my building where to get a taxi. He said wait. Got one. He made the taxi pay him 50 pesos.

Got to airport. Security checking the taxi made him pay 20 peso to get through.

Taxi didn't turn on meter so tried to charge me double fair, then added in the 70 peso he had to pay the cop and airport security.

Went to enter airport. Security said ticket was for another day, maybe big trouble (it had been changed). Was looking for 100 peso to ignore it.

Checked in. New law requires ZERO liquids on flights (versus max 100ml as in every other country in the world who does this). Had to go back check in bag. Lady said likely things will get stolen in the bag, better lock it up.

I've been there about 100 times but the corruption and petty bribes never cease to amaze me. This was a whopping 1 hour example.
                              I think it's appropriate that this post is in the "fish box" because frankly it sounds a bit fishy. I can buy your story about the cabbies. They are jerks when it comes to using or not using the meter. Never use a taxi there that won't use a meter. That being said you shouldn't get into any taxi from any country that won't use the meter. The rest of your story sounds like pure BS. I've been to the PI well over 50 times in the past 9 years and I have never seen a cop try to extort money from a cabbie trying to get into the airport. Your story about the ticket being for another day therefore a bribe was in order also sounds like a "fish story". As a "Kano" you can go into the airport (whether it€™s NAIA or Terminal II (PAL)) with no ticket at all. I've had to leave early on numerous visits and never had a problem. It€™s these bullshit stories that put the PI in a bad light. Do they have problems? Sure they do - just like other countries trying to recover from 35 years of marshal law and subsequent government mismanagement. Manila unfortunately has a serious crime problem. Guess what? So do most large cities around the world. You get away from Manila and you see true Filipino culture. I would say 9 times out of 10 a Kano gets into trouble in the PI because he got himself into it. If all you€™re doing in the PI is chasing whores then all you€™re going to see are the seedier side of life in that country.

RW

Comment

Working...
                              X