X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you tip...

Different countries will have different answers...

In the UK I'll normally tip about 10% if the service is good, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts about this as waiters in the UK get at least minimum wage anyway and there are plenty of other jobs that require a level of service that don't need a tip to get the job done.

In the US I tip 15% on the money unless the service sucked.

In Thailand I'll usually leave about 5% - 7% depending on how expensive the restaurant is and if the service is adequate. (In Thailand the service is NEVER good.)
    I don't tip. They get paid enough.
    0%
    5%
    0%
    10% regardless.
    0%
    10% if the service is good.
    0%
    15% regardless.
    0%
    15% if the service is good.
    0%
    20%
    0%
    20% if the service was great.
    0%
    My answer is not on this list.
    0%

15-18% here in US if service is as expected......in VAT countries maybe 8-10% if the service is good. Wait staff in US still live off their tips as the cheap ass restuarant owners pay min wage here($7/hr).
    ....so,  you're really a guy?..............  

Comment

In Pattaya at places like Au Bon Coin, Casa Pascal & Chez Georges the service is always good & I get well looked after so I tip heavy.
      In the States, at least 15% unless the waiter/waitress has attitude then it can be as little as 5%.
      UK & Europe....It is definitely getting better, but 10% is plenty with a maximum of £10.00.

Comment

I eat in restaurants a great deal because i travel alot with my job, as a broad brush statement the service in Europe is crap, in the UK in particular most places can't even spell service, never mind provide it.

I find the service in the USA is begining to slip, & was very disappointed for the most part last year.

I found the service in Oz & Taz quite good, along with all the places I visited in South America.

Asia was by far the best, & I rarely have much to complain about in the LOS.

I tip no more than 10% & I do not tip as a rule in UK or Europe.
        Robin

You pays your money & takes your chance. This isn't a rehearsal do it now, it's no good looking back when it's a lover & wishing.... ITS TOO LATE.

Comment

I live in Ireland, service is alway's crap
          but believe it or not, if you get E. european staff
          they're brilliant! Always a smile and courteous!!
          I tip them but never Irish staff as they always have
          an attitude!
          If she aint got a dick, she's just a chick!  

Comment

In the USA, a minimum of 15%, generally more like 20%.

Tend to tip a higher percentage on smaller tabs.

Just had breakfast for 85 baht and left 100.

My pet peeve is tip jars at takeout places, especially coffee joints. This was unheard of years ago. I generally do not put tips in these jars and also try to find places that don't have these jars.

I would prefer that tipping be abolished and just have restaurants charge more for the food.

For the most part quality of service does not get much bigger tips from me since I feel I must tip at least 15% and rerally don't want to tip more than 20% except on very small bills.

Comment

Thailand is really not % based. It's more of a flat rate. If I buy anything (1 beer to 6 beer), I tip 20 baht.

At dinner if it's 1000-5,000 baht, 100 is fine. Only for a very expensive dinner and good service would I go to 200 baht.

Canada is flat 15%, every time, less than that, and your car might have a flat tire on the way out.

Comment

(pentire @ Apr. 11 2007,22:51) In Pattaya at places like Au Bon Coin, Casa Pascal & Chez Georges the service is always good  & I get well looked after so I tip heavy.
                In the States, at least 15% unless the waiter/waitress has attitude then it can be as little as 5%.
                UK & Europe....It is definitely getting better, but 10% is plenty with a maximum of £10.00.
                Oh, and if I notice a restaurant has added a service charge to the bill then I do not tip.
                I think once I even removed the service charge before paying for the food because I noticed it said optional in small print.

Comment

One important point...

Service Charges on bills (rare) and tips put on your credit card bill do NOT go to the servers. They go to the bar.

So always give a cash tip even if you pay by credit card.

Comment

10% usually across the board,in UK and in Thai
                    seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

The most I have tipped is $100.
                      It was on a flight from Manchester to Dubai.
                      Dam good service.

Comment

I will never tip unless I have had a good meal and the service was good. Never never never tip

Comment

(madcat365 @ Apr. 12 2007,23:11) The most I have tipped is $100.
                          It was on a flight from Manchester to Dubai.
                          Dam good service.
                          Did I see you in the English Patient?
                          Retired the top 12.  Need a new dirty dozen.  

Update: The new list is coming together: Nong Poy, Anita, Nok, Gif, Liisa Winkler, Kay, Nina Poon.  Is it possible to find 5 more?  Until then, GGs:  Jessica Alba, Yuko Ogura, Zhang Ziyi, Maggie Q, and Gong Li.

Comment

The most I ever tip in Australia is 5% as the average hourly rate for a waiter is $18.50 .

In Asia i tip 5%, in Europe i tip 5% and in the States 10 %

Comment

10% usually in Thai...15% in USA...
                              "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

Working...
                              X