• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin dead

Very sad news....

http://www.news.com.au/story....lic_rss

September 04, 2006
    THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said. It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary and that' is when it occured.

Mr Irwin's body was being flown to Cairns.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

It is believed Mr Irwin's American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and has yet to be told of her husband's death.

Mr Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

The father of two's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Mr Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.
    Mr Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA" campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," a spokesman said.

The Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) said a call was received about 11am (AEST) and an emergency services helicopter was flown to the boat on Batt Reef off the coast near Cairns with a doctor and emergency services paramedic on board.
    Mr Irwin had a puncture wound to the left side of his chest and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Irwins have two children €“ a daughter, Bindi Sue Irwin, eight, and a three-year-old son, Robert (Bob) Clarence Irwin.

Bob was involved in a controversial incident with his father in January, 2004, when he dangled him near a crocodile at Australia Zoo.

Mr Irwin carried his infant son in one arm while feeding a dead chicken carcass to a crocodile with the other hand.

Child welfare and animal rights groups criticised his actions as irresponsible and tantamount to child abuse.

Mr Irwin stated any danger to his son was only a perceived danger and that he was in complete control of the situation.

I'm still wondering how one gets a Stingray barb straight thru the chest !!

I have swum with stingrays many times and never got close to getting stung, let alone in the chest. Sounds "Fishy"
    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

what is a stingray?

Comment

(shiva2006 @ Sep. 04 2006,17:27) what is a stingray?
        This is a Sting-ray
        Attached Files

Comment

If you had written a script where Steve gets stabbed through the *heart* by the barb of a giant Stingray NOBODY would have beleived it. Eaten by a giant Crocodile, yes, Crushed to death by a giant Boa, yes, Tagged by the most venomous snake in the world, yes, but a Stingray! Australia Zoo is a magnificent place to visit especially now they have the Cheetahs, and Tigers and other exotic non Australians. For all his mad antics he was a GREAT entertainer, and a GREAT ambassador for wildlife, AUstralian and else where.

Comment

you cant predict  or trust an animal ,he was always tempting fate in his programes and taking risks.i enjoyed his t.v. work but i lost a lot of respect for him when he took his baby into a croc pen.        

Comment

(shiva2006 @ Sep. 04 2006,04:27) what is a stingray?
              No this is a Stingray..........of the corvette family

Attached Files
              It's good to King........no matter what the pay

Courage is being scared to death__and saddling up anyway

Billy Jaffe, Radio Voice of the Thrashers:
              ”I have absolutely No problem with Ohio State. It has a beautiful campus, and for a Junior College it has really great Academics.”

"Gentlemen and ladies, 'Those Who Stay Will Be Champions' is for you too. It's for every Michigan fan that's out there. When the going gets tough, you don't cut and run. It's not the Michigan way. If I heard it once from the old man, I heard it a thousand times -- when the going gets tough you find out who your real friends are, and that's why we must stay. Because there will be championships, and this staff and these kids will bring those championships here."

Comment

(Snick @ Sep. 04 2006,03:14) I'm still wondering how one gets a Stingray barb straight thru the chest !!

I have swum with stingrays many times and never got close to getting stung, let alone in the chest. Sounds "Fishy"
                I've heard different reports, some say he was trying to hold on for a ride,... but he was swimming over top of it in about 5 feet of water. What they do normally, and it was said this was the case, the ray will usually turn so it can see it's victim, (or prey) and swing it's barb up like a scorpion would do.
                ain't life grand

Comment

Probably doing something stupid again just for the publicity and this time payback was a bitch. I always found him to be an overbearing jackass who was more hype than substance. In complete agreement that when he dangled his one year son above that croc. he lost all respect despite his protests to the contrary. Of course now the world awaits while somebody decides if the last video of him alive swimming with the stingray should be shown on television. Gee, what are the odds of of NOT being shown?

Comment

I agree with you 100%. I never did get on with his infantile style of television.

It's a shame he's dead, of course but wasn't this something just waiting to happen?

Comment

(PogueMahone @ Sep. 05 2006,21:44) Probably doing something stupid again just for the publicity and this time payback was a bitch.  I always found him to be an overbearing jackass who was more hype than substance.  In complete agreement that when he dangled his one year son above that croc. he lost all respect despite his protests to the contrary.  Of course now the world awaits while somebody decides if the last video of him alive swimming with the stingray should be shown on television.  Gee, what are the odds of of NOT being shown?
                      The biggest difference I noticed in sea critters when I started diving was their attitude when you are in the water with them. When you're standing topside, on the shore, or over the water where they can see you, they always shy away when they see your movement. Once you are in the water with them it's a different ball game and if you mess with them, just about any species will fight back. Doesn't matter how small they are. The only exception to my observations are with sharks. They will happily come up to your boat and dare you to fall overboard. The other is a porpoise which can sometimes be playful.
                      A lot of his antics I'm sure were for ratings, and also no doubt him being cocky. You go with what works. That stunt he did with his kid should have got him his ass handed to him, but as sure as he was in his enviorment, I heard he was rather inexperienced as a diver.
                      Show the film on tv? For what reason other than watch the guy die? Not that I'm against it, but it is a shame none the less that it happened. Back in my drinking days, I had more than my share of "dumb shit moments," but I never realized how stupid/lucky I was until after I stopped. I'm sure a lot of us here have had our share.
                      I thought he was a little over done, but his energy was entertaining.
                      randyman
                      ain't life grand

Comment

(stogie bear @ Sep. 06 2006,11:59)  I agree with you 100%. I never did get on with his infantile style of television.

It's a shame he's dead, of course but wasn't this something just waiting to happen?
                        Well he must have a had something going for him as he was extremely popular the world over including the US and the UK.

I guess he was always tempting fate and even though I was not one of his greatest fans I believe he will be missed especially in the conservation and environmental areas.

He was actually born only a few km from where I live now and I met him once at Melbourne airport. He was just a down to earth guy who would give anyone the time of day.

Comment

(ozzie @ Sep. 06 2006,05:46) I guess he was always tempting fate and even though I was not one of his greatest fans I believe he will be missed especially in the conservation and environmental  areas.

The guy obviously had passion for all wildlife and I hope his work in conservation and habitat control continues.

RIP.
                          seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Stingray innocent!!!
                            Attached Files
                            Mister Arse

Comment

For those of you who may not have grown up watching the puppet action shows like Thunderbirds - Stingray was another one in that genre, except it was a submarine, part of a global undersea organization that fought evil doers!

Definitely not involved in the death of Steve Irwin!

Stewart - brings back some old memories!

Attached Files

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
                              Membership Levels
                              The Rookie Thread
                              New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
                              Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Working...
                              X