First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certificate of origin

Hello!
    I was wondering, if anybody could help me with this:
    Does anybody know, how to get a "Certificate of Origin" for textiles. You need this certificate, if you want to bring a larger number of textiles back into your country ( I am refering to Germany now, but it is probably the same for the rest of the European Union, don't know about the USA).
    For Germany, they have dropped the quotas, so in theory, you can bring as many textiles from Thailand back to Germany as you like, but you need to prove that the textiles are actually from Thailand adn not from China or another country and the only document that is accepted for this is that Certificate of Origin.
    Do you have to have a company or can you also get this, as a private person? Is it the Department of Foreign Trade, that is issueing it?
    Thank you very much for any help.
    Best regards mcqueen

Mcqueen.

Comment

Normally you get a C.O. (certificate of origin) from a number of possible organizations. While quota licences used to be issued from the Trade Department which is a government body, you can get C.O.s from Chambers of Commerce and Trade associations, as long as they are authorized to issue it.
      However, it should be the exporter/s to provide you with that document, and they should be able to get it quite easily if they are a reliable company and member of any Chamber of Commerce or Trade association/federation.
      Do only what you think it's good for you, and not what others think should be good for you!

Comment

Thank you very much Gentlemen for your good advice!
        Sounds like Australia is not as strict with the import and customs thing as Germany.
        I will try to get a Certificate of Origin somehow, somewhere, hope I will succeed.
        Cheers again!
        Mcqueen

Comment

Mcqueen

To say you will get a certificate of origin somehow is not good enough. You must get the correct one. I assume you want one to obtain a lower preferential rate of duty or to satisfy import quotas.

In Australia we have a free trade agreement with Thailand. Therefore imported goods from Thailand to be cleared duty free or a lower preferential rate of duty such as textiles require a certificate of origin which can only be issued from the Thai ministry of trade or it authorized bodies only.

I would suggest you check with your customs broker as he should know this information. Or you may want to check with Customs in your country and ask them exactly which certificate is required. Then all you do is ask your supplier to obtain it. Most exporters in Thailand will know what to do as Thailand enjoys preferential status in most western countries so therefore some type of certificate of origin is necessary

This is not really a hard thing to do. Plus also a fee is involved to obtain one.

Feel free to PM me if you want some further advice on this. Even though I am in Australia I may be able to give some good advice.

Regards,

P.S vangough05 you may want to check your documentation as a letter of compliance from the manufacturer is not good enough. Unless now Customs accepts it if endorsed by the Ministry of trade in Thailand. I suggest you speak to your customs broker. You would not want a Customs audit to reveal you paid a lower rate of duty that you were not entitled too. Penalty is up to 200% of the short paid duty.

Comment

Wow... What an interesting thread. I wonder if there is room on our message board for a forum devoted to professional and legal issues...

ThaiVisa.com seems to have this stuff well covered though...

SB

Comment

Originally posted by (dommy6 @ Mar. 04 2006,19:31)
              I assume you want one to obtain a lower preferential rate of duty or to satisfy import quotas.
              Cert Of Origin will not get you lower duty.

That is GSP "form A " and is used in Europe to get a lower tariff although the EU is phasing it out by end this year so everyone has to pay the full duty by 2007. Always try to get this form anyway regardless... im not sure about Thai GSp status.

anyway
              Cert of Origin should be aquired by your supplier and stipulated on a letter of credit issued by your bank to be 100% safe . Its up to your supplier to aquire this as far as i know.

Also be carefull about other import restrictions on textiles into the eu ....many suppliers have goods quarantined as the EU quota has been exceeded.

Comment

Working...
              X