Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thaiglish

Lifted from another Forum:

A TG asked me the other day, why she understands me perfectly when I speak English with her but when she speaks to other farangs, she barely understands a single word. This got me thinking about the vagaries of Thaiglish and I realized I have become quite fluent in this colorful dialect.

When you speak Thai as eloquently as I do, a strange thing often happens during a conversation. Frequently I end up speaking Thai and the Thai person ends up responding in English. The reason for this is that I know the Thai I know very well and she knows the English she knows very well. Should she start responding in Thai it€™s easy to get lost as she will insist on using words I have not yet learned and vice versa. So there we are both speaking a foreign language to each other and communicating quite well.

Listening carefully it becomes clear that Thaiglish has quite specific rules and that if you want to communicate with a Thai in English, you will be far more successful if you stick to these (until now) unwritten rules. Speaking Thaiglish is a great solution to the communication barrier. It is relatively easy to learn. Can convey most ideas adequately and doesn€™t require too much brain strain.

Most farangs are never going to learn Thai to even a basic level. It just seems to be beyond even most expats let alone the twice a year holiday maker. Learning to speak Thai is a fine thing if you can do it but if you can€™t, a bit of effort learning the rules of Thaiglish will rocket your communication skills to a new level.

As the Thaiglish dialect appears to be completely undocumented I have set myself the task of writing down the basics. As I am pioneering this field of study I could use some help, so if you have your own experiences. Please feel free to add them below.

The basic rules of Thaiglish.

Do not use prepositions. (across, after, at, before, by, during, from, in, into, of, on, to, under, with, without ) Generally they are unnecessary to make the meaning clear and cause a lot of confusion. Stay can often replace at, in, from.

English: I am at home.
    Thaiglish I stay home

English. I am going to the bar.
    Thaiglish I go bar.

English: I am here for lunch.
    Thaiglish: I here eat.

English: I am in Pattaya
    Thaiglish: I stay Pattaya.

Do not use the verb to be ( I am, you are, he is etc.) Irregular English verbs cause a lot of confusion and none more so than the verb to be. Generally you can just drop it.

English: You are beautiful.
    Thaiglish You beautiful.

English: He is stupid.
    Thaiglish: He stupid.

Verbs do not have tenses.
    Use only the present tense for verbs. If the tense is not clear from the sentence then it is implied by using tense indicator words. Thai actually works this way and by applying the same rules to English you will improve the communication level considerably. Although you can use English words to do this, using the Thai words is better and makes the meaning clearer. Leau for past, ja for future.

Example
    English. I went to the shop.
    Thaiglish. I go shop already.
    Thaiglish with Thai tense word. I go shop leau.

English: I will go to the shop.
    Thaiglish; I go shop soon.
    Thaiglish with Thai tense word: I ja go shop.

Indefinite Articles (a and the). There is no Thai equivalent and they should always be dropped

English: Here is the bathroom.
    Thaiglish: Here bathroom.

English: I have a drink.
    Thaiglish: I have drink.

Questions should be phrased as statements and the word mai added to the end. The phrasing of questions in English really complicates a sentence but by making a statement and using the Thai question word mai the sentence becomes simple.

English: Do you want to go to the movies?
    Thaiglish: Go movies mai?

English: Do you have any condoms?
    Thaiglish. Have condom mai?

Plurals. Do not use plurals. All nouns should be singular and the number is implied by the meaning or often is not needed anyway.

English: He gave be 50 dollars.
    Thaiglish: He give 50 dollar leau..

English: Give me three books.
    Thaiglish Give me three book.

Politeness. Get rid of all the flowery English politeness words and replace with Khrup. (Ka if you are female). This includes please, thank you, you are welcome, excuse me, if it€™s not too much bother etc.

English:. Please give me the bread.
    Thaiglish: Give me bread, khrup.

English. Excuse me, can you please pass the ashtray.
    Thaiglish: Give me ashtray, khrup.

Personal pronouns (I, you, he, we, they) should be dropped except where they are needed to make the meaning clear.

English: I am horny.
    Thaiglish: Horny.

English: Are you hungry?
    Thaiglish: Hungry mai?

Adjectives go after the noun.

English. I want a cold beer.
    Thaiglish: Want beer cold.

Quantifying questions can generally be replaced with a statement and the Thai word toearai.

English. How long have you worked here?
    Thaiglish. Work here, toearai.?

English. How much does this vibrator cost?.
    Thaiglish. Vibrator toearai?

English: How old are you?
    Thaiglish. Age toearai?

Replace the English words have, here and where with the Thai words mi, tenee and tenai. Have can be used to mean many different possessive type words.

English. Do you have some fruit?
    Thaiglish: Mi fruit mai?

English: I am happy.
    Thaiglish Mi happy. (have happiness)

English: Here is the screwdriver.
    Thaiglish: Screwdriver tenee.

English: Where is the camera?.
    Thaiglish: Camera teenai?

Use the thai words mack mack to replace very, a lot, and to provide emphasis.

English: I like you a lot.
    Thaiglish: Like you mack mack.

English: I am very cold today.
    Thaiglish: Cold mack mack today.

English; He is very, very rich.
    Thaiglish: He rich mack mack.

The best Thaiglish consists of short sentences often just three or four words. The sentences will almost always be declaratives without politeness and using Thai words to indicate questions, politeness and quantification.

Here€™s a sample conversation between Noi and Ian.

English
    Noi: What are you doing today?
    Ian: Well. I thought I might go for a walk and then maybe check out a few bars.
    Noi: Isn€™t that what you did yesterday.
    Ian: Yes, I like doing these activities.
    Noi: Have you seen Nit today?
    Ian: I saw her earlier. She is looking very sexy at the moment.
    Noi. I can tell you like her more than me.
    Ian. I like her but I like you much more.
    Noi: You are a flatterer.
    Noi: How many beers have you had to drink today.
    Ian: I have only had 17.

Thaiglish
    Noi: Do what today.
    Ian: I walk and then I go bar.
    Noi. Same same yesterday.
    Ian: Yes, I like.
    Noi: See Nit leau mai?
    Ian: See leau. She look sexy mack mack.
    Noi; You like her more me.
    Ian: Like her but like you mack mack.
    Noi: sweet mouth
    Noi: Drink beer today toearai?
    Ian: Drink 17.

Great post PigDogg  

Very well  explained and easy to put into practice .

All i can say is Ian must be an Australian Footballer   on a Footy trip , if he has 17 beers   before he goes to check out the bars .

Comment

Geez, I've started talking like that too...just never codified the rules.

go pattaya sanook mahk mah
      "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Pretty good, but the writer left out errant uses of progressive tense verbeage.

Comment

Originally posted by (stogie bear @ Dec. 19 2005,01:52)
          ......errant uses of progressive tense verbeage.
          English how say??  
          Too old to die young!

Comment

thai ladies doesnt understand shit when they talk to guys from england or scotland. guess that goes for the aussies too. talk slower, get rid out the dialect(speak oxford), skip the verbs and make the sentences shorter (= thaiglish).

Comment

PD - found this post very helpful! Thanks for posting it.
              I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

I've got a hanging participle.

DANNO
                You no care me DIE !!!

Comment

Pidgeon English comes natural to me when talking to a foreign native but then again im English.

Must admit its funny hearing myself in conversation talking like this.

Dave...
                  Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                  Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

found this add on bangkoktonihgt forum:
                    Originally posted by
                    I am 23, 41 kilo from Chaing Mai. I stay bangkok now. I am shy but like to smile and have a good time. I not smoke, drink only a little and like to laugh and make you happy.

I never work bar or anything like that. Sometimes I study sometimes I have to work. I am not same other girl maybe you know....

I do day tour and short time in hotel. I like older men who know that a girl have a heart. Take care of me and I take care of you. I am safe, do not do cim, anal or anything crazy. I can make you smile with talk and when we are alone....

email me at [email protected]
                    Translation:

I am 34, 65kg with stretchmarks, from dirt poor village you have never heard of outside chian RAI. i have stayed in bkk for 3 yrs already and been fucked every way possible. i like to take yaba and get shitfaced with my thai friends and love to gamle away my money. when i stay with farang i am so bored i just want to look tv or sleep.

i havent been working in a bar for awhile since mamasan kicked me out cos of my yaba addiction, so now i am broke and desperate to find a farang sucker to sponsor me & my thai bf.

if you pay me enough you can cum in my mouth and fuck my ass til it bleeds

Comment

Hello PigDogg,

Great post - maybe I'll give up shouting louder and lounder until they understand me    

RR.
                      Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                      Kahuna

Comment

Originally posted by (olekunde @ Dec. 19 2005,18:39)
                        thai ladies doesnt understand shit when they talk to guys from england or scotland. guess that goes for the aussies too.
                        Hey, i don't understand shit when speaking with most of you guys too, with Stogie being the exception but he's a good ole Tex or New Awlins bloke.

On the other hand I have no problem whatsoever understanding Europeans who's second language is English.

I think Californians are best understood by Thaigirls since that's the closest to movie English.

Btw-I don't want to take undue credit for the original post; it's some other guy's, which I lifted from abnother Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by (olekunde @ Dec. 19 2005,17:39)
                          thai ladies doesnt understand shit when they talk to guys from england or scotland
                          Hello PigDogg,

That's not true - I taught herself to say 'Seeee yooouhh jimmehhh'

It's a well known Scottish greeting. Stewart was able to understand her perfectly      

RR.

Sorry Stewart  
                          Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                          Kahuna

Comment

Working...
                          X