X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching english in bangkok - a scam?

Anyone have any experience with the English Teaching scene in Bangkok (or anywhere else in Asia for that matter)? I worked in Asia for 7 years...but am now back in Canada...and dying to get back to Asia esp. Thailand. I've done well enough over the past seven years to be 'semi-retired' at the age of 41; but am considering teaching English in BKK so that I'd have a work permit (and therefore no visa runs) and a small salary so that I dont piss away the 'nest-egg' on day to day living expenses.

I've seen a lot on the net about Teaching English and Language Schools in Bangkok. Are these legit? Or do they make their money luring falangs to BKK to take the training/certification courses that they offer in addition to the English training they offer to Thais? Any advice would be appreciated guys.

I taught English in Thailand for years. Some places will rip you off and other jobs are great!

www.ajarn.com will tell you all you need to know.

Originally posted by
    but am considering teaching English in BKK so that I'd have a work permit (and therefore no visa runs)
    It sounds like you only need a part time job. No-one is going to pay for a work permit and teaching license to a part time teacher. If you wish to work full time there are some private schools that will help you, but the road to legitimacy is a long rocky frustrating tale of bureaucracy.

Most schools and agencies will simply hire you illegally. the government doesn't seem to mind too much.

Comment

If u have enough money, but a house for 2.5M baht and you have a permanent "investment" visa.

Comment

Ziggy...are you sure it's not 10 milion baht ie. roughly 250,000 USD condo purchase to get the investment visa?

Comment

Also look at the great Stickman website he give lots of info on Teaching in LoS

Comment

Working...
          X