X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Tech geeks

just moving into new apartment, my last one had a LG LCD Tv, so cant bear going back to my old CRT TV (will prob bin it).

So any recommendations, don't want to cheap but also dont want to spend a fortune. Am looking for two, ideally from the same range. A 32" and a 40 or 42", must be full HD and have HDMI ports (as i am a PS3 owner)

So guys any recommendations, i was thinking JVC or Hitachi but maybe something better known like Sony / Sharp / Panasonic etc??

TVs made for the Asian (hotter) markets are built differently than those for the colder climates...

Not sure what the differences are but when I bought mine it was tailored for a sub-tropical climate!

To be honest I don't think there are 'bad' TVs out there these days... Just buy a brand that you recognize...

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jul. 21 2008,05:37) TVs made for the Asian (hotter) markets are built differently than those for the colder climates...

Not sure what the differences are but when I bought mine it was tailored for a sub-tropical climate!

To be honest I don't think there are 'bad' TVs out there these days... Just buy a brand that you recognize...
      thanks - no intention of going back to "colder climates"! yeah prob right will go with what i recognize and can get the best deal on i suppose.

Comment

Hello Markuk,

About 12 months ago I thought about getting a flat screen TV for my ex-girlfriend.
        It never happened in the end but I did have a look round several shops and got a fair idea about models/prices etc.

The model numbers are pretty much the same as you get on the UK market though often with slight differences.
        Probably as Stogie stated because of the different cooling requirements for the climate.
        Prices I found were almost exactly the same as the UK but often you will find that there are one or two less connections than UK models again hence the slight variations in the model numbers.

There is a website for one of the UK magazines that I often get to see what's around  -  What Hi-Fi TVs
        In the sizes you're after they seem mainly to favour the Panasonics, Samsungs and Sonys.

RR.
        Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
        Kahuna

Comment

Look into the 'response time' of the monitor, this is how fast it can redraw things for games. 12ms or faster is good.
          You might also consider plasma if you are getting something 40" or larger.
          Multiple HDMI is nice (I have one and its a pain).
          "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

(Snick @ Jul. 21 2008,09:05) Multiple HDMI is nice (I have one and its a pain).
            Yeah inputs, make sure it's got lots of them.

I have 3 HDMI's, 3 S-Video, 2 Tuners ASTC / NTSC and they are all in use!

Comment

I'm back in the UK so bear that in mind, but here are my recent experiences. My mother was looking for a replacement for an ageing TV, so I started researching for her and initially looked at LCDs. During that time I snapped up a deal on a 40" Sony and Blu-Ray. In the end she found a bargain price on a 37" Panasonic plasma. After setting her TV up and looking at mine...the Panasonic plasma is far superior on regular TV and even when upscaling DVDs to 720p looks much richer than my LCD. Less motion blur with a plasma and deeper blacks. All round a better performance and the LCD is even 24p ! My LCD only comes into it's own with the XBox 360 on 1080p. I'm now looking (after only 2 months) for a buyer for the LCD so that I can buy the 42" Panasonic plasma.

Model number is Panasonic TH-37PX80B and I'm looking at the TH-42PX80B. If anyone in the UK is tempted... Digital Direct are doing it for a great price.
              You men eat your dinner, eat your pork and beans
              I eat more chicken, than any man ever seen, yeah, yeah

Comment

The top pick in an LCD TV.. In my opinion the Sony Bravia KDL Models have all the other beaten hands down. I started with the 46" Model and was so blown away by the picture that I upgraded to the 52" Model after nine months.

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jul. 21 2008,03:37) TVs made for the Asian (hotter) markets are built differently than those for the colder climates...

A wide swath of the south of the USA and China are sub-tropical. A sub-tropical spec indicates it is NOT designed for Thailand's climate which is tropical. I haven't seen this classification made for TV's, but have seen it on refrigerators. If you are going to run something in ambient air, get tropical spec or check that the temperature AND humidity limits of the product accomodate the climate. Otherwise you will end up starting threads like why your computer shuts down after a while or such.

Comment

I turn my plasma off at night, not from the remote (which is more like 'sleep' than 'off'), but from the unit itself. Same with my stereo and UBC box.....it is HOT here and things overheat if left running 24/7 at 'normal' Thai temperature.
                    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

I own a Samsung LCD and I'm very happy with it.

These days the LCD have pretty much caught up with plasma so either should be ok.

Just make sure you have at least 3 DVI ports... You'll need them!

And i recommend getting one of those 100/120 Hz models if you can afford it.

Best advice is don't be a cheap charlie as you do get what you pay for!

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

One of the two - I forget which, is better for playing games. Not sure if its LCD or Plasma, but if you're a gamer, I would take that into consideration. Some manufacturers make both kinds of flat-screens, so that would narrow down your choices. However, I think SB is right - you really can't go too wrong. Even the Wal-Mart brands Vizio makes a decent set. 42" going for $797 - you can't beat that!
                        I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

I own a couple of Pioneer plasmas and a couple more Sony LCD's and here's my view.....

The LCD may well be the better all around choice. An LCD has a faster refresh rate than a plasma which makes it better suited for the output from game machines and using it as a large-screen display for a computer. It also looks nice enough, of course, with a regular TV signal or when playing a DVD.

If you're more interested in a top-end video display for DVD material, however, my own view is that a plasma display is superior. I find the color depth and saturation on a plasma to be much warmer and more vibrant than an LCD, mostly because of the deeper blacks plasma produces. There's something about the color balance on an LCD to seems to me to be a little too computer like, maybe a touch tinny and overly vibrant.

Anyway, as they say, your mileage may vary. Look at both and go with the one that feels right to you regardless of what anyone else may tell you.

Comment

Thanks guys useful replies, i think it will be a LCD as i am an all round kinda guy and games performance is important. Will make the decision in the next week or so and post back my results.

Comment

(SukhumvitRoad @ Jul. 22 2008,20:45) An LCD has a faster refresh rate than a plasma which makes it better suited for the output from game machines and using it as a large-screen display for a computer.
                              Actually, it's the other way round...but LCDs are getting better. Watch sport or a fast pan on an LCD and see the blurring - it doesn't happen with plasma.
                              You men eat your dinner, eat your pork and beans
                              I eat more chicken, than any man ever seen, yeah, yeah

Comment

Working...
                              X