X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas 747 Jet Lands Despite Giant Hole

Will Rain Man still want to fly Qantas now?

http://www.youtube.com/v/vhyGjFCaUDk&hl=en&fs=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/vhyGjFCaUDk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

A Qantas 747 jet made an emergency landing after a giant hole ripped open on the side of the plane. Perhaps this sort of thing happens all the time, but what made this experience so trend worthy was the fact that passengers have uploaded their frightening in-cabin videos to YouTube.

With video becoming ubiquitous, we can expect this kind of footage to be more predominant in all sorts of disasters.

It€™s quite a shocking video. What makes the video even more intense is that the passengers didn€™t realize they would land safely.

A Qantas jumbo jet carrying 345 passengers made an emergency landing Friday with a gaping hole in its fuselage after a mysterious "explosive decompression," officials said. There were no injuries, but some passengers vomited after disembarking the Boeing 747-400, said Octavio Lina, Manila International Airport Authority deputy manager for operations.

Yeah, I saw another footage with the cabin crew and they were as "cool" as you like and put the passengers at ease
    Your got yer Mother in a whirl
    Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

(BAM @ Jul. 27 2008,11:37) Will Rain Man still want to fly Qantas now?
      I'd rather be on a QANTAS flight than any other airline, faced with a similar situation.

The crew seemed to handle it all very professionally, and given there were no passengers injured, I think Rain Man will most likely stick with QANTAS.  

Cheers
      Koykaeng
      Ladyboys need to learn...... Listerine is not a beverage !

Comment

I'm sure most of the Aussie passengers were sufficiently tanked so as not to notice.Rather have an Aus pilot than a French or Italian guy.They'd land the plane and then jump out the window.

Comment

You get what ya pay for, all the top pilots fly for the most expensive airlines, so if you book a budget flight, your not going to get the best pilot, you pays ya money you take's your chances. Qantas is a top airline & not cheap, so I would expect it to have frist class pilots. Any how I fecking hate fling at the best of times, I still would have shit Me'self

Seamus
          Be lucky,have fun & stay young !

Comment

(koykaeng @ Jul. 26 2008,21:09) I think Rain Man will most likely stick with QANTAS.

I agree. But he won't be shopping at K-Mart.

Comment

The Brits were probably in a drunken coma and the ones that were awake were racing for the doors before the explosion!

Drunk Brit bitches force jet landing!

Comment

qantas have one of the best safety records it would not stop me traveling with them   its the grumpy crap service you get on board that stops me going with them  

Comment

The cabin crew are grumpy because the Qantas management is morally bankrupt.

Desperate to maintain their high profitability, shareholders interests are paramount with penny-pinching tactics employed across the entire company.

Observe the disgraceful way they treated their engineers, with all operations moved to China. In a bid to break the engineers strike they offered enormous payments to retired engineers to work for 6 months, enough time to complete the transition off-shore.

At the moment, luggage handlers are conducting rolling stoppages across the country, with no let-up in sight.

Add to that disgruntled pilots & cabin crew who would all take another job tomorrow if offered, you have a deeply unhappy organisation.

Earlier this year, there was a share price slide when it was reported that high fuel costs were eating into profitability.

A helpful solution offered by the Board of Qantas was a management buy-out, after all, things were getting worse.

It was only the refusal of several institutions to sell that avoided it happening, & lo & behold, months later they announced a record profit.

The General Manager, Geoff Dixon stood to pick up a $10 million success fee, the Chairman of the Board, about half that, plus all their allocated shares.... why they haven't faced criminal charges is beyond me.

And with all maintenance & repairs now being carried out in Asia, anyone care to bet they will maintain their great safety record?

Never again in my life will I give those bastards one cent of my money.

The Flying Kangaroo, huh.... more like the Flying Bushrangers, just a national disgrace for what was once such a proud company.
                  Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

Do they code share with BA??

..Anyway,don't know what all the fuss is about...remember this one?

x
                    Forgot how this forum works  

Comment

I sure do Naang, the "convertible" jet that lost its roof on the way to Hawaii.

If the passengers on the Qantas flight were terrified, then these guys must have been scared to death.

I wonder how many took a boat home? I doubt anyone would feel like flying again after such an experience.
                      Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

Now thought to be exploding oxygen bottles for the emergency air. A few are missing, and this may explain why some peoples masks failed to supply air. Enquiries continuing.

Comment

Yeah and the pic of the "convertible" aircraft the only person to die was a flight attendant!!
                          Hum Pacman it seems as though I work for the same compnay-UAL is the same. Management just tried to bully the pilots to fly severely fatigued after they had to divert to Macao when they couldnt land in Hong Kong and had to fight dangerous microbursts and eventually landed on almost fumes!!

If you are flying UAL out of Frankfurt bring your own food as the food they are serving flew over from the USA the night before as there is some kind of strike going on in Frankfurt.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!
                          Be careful out there!

Comment

Door opens mid-Qantas flight; plane makes an emergency landing
                            Monday, July 28, 2008

...An undercarriage door opened during a Qantas flight yesterday, causing the flight to make an emergency landing. The Boeing 737-800 plane departed Adelaide, Australia, was bound for Melbourne, but returned to Adelaide to make the landing at approximately 6:15 p.m. local Australian time.

A Qantas Boeing 737 from the 800 series seen in Melbourne in 2005.
                            According to Qantas officials, the door did not close correctly over a wheel bay and the flight turned back towards Adelaide when it was near Murray Bridge. Passengers in the plane said there was chaos in the cabin when the undercarriage door opened.

When the jet arrived back in Adelaide, some of the passengers aboard were transferred to another Qantas flight. Some passengers refused transport on another Qantas flight though, and chose to fly with Virgin Blue or another method of transport. It is not known how many passengers were aboard, but the plane could have carried up to 168 passengers.

This incident follows a hole blasting in the fuselage of a Qantas 747 international flight to Melbourne, forcing the plane to land in Manilla, Philippines.

Comment

After Pacman's post about them moving their maintenance to China I'm starting to wonder if the accidents are related to the maintenance standards.

Though against that the 737s are fairly old aircraft so I guess faults are likely to occur on occassions.

I am awaiting what they say about the first incident though.
                              I have my doubts that an oxygen bottle exploded as they are inherently very strong.
                              Also they are subject to very strict checks and periodic pressure tests.
                              The likelyhood of one just going bang on it's own is practically zero.

RR.
                              Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                              Kahuna

Comment

Working...
                              X