X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The soi 6 Experiment

The soi 6 Experiment - The governments secret plan...

There's sneakiness afoot in Pattaya and I think I know what it is...

... but first let's make something clear; nobody wants you there in Pattaya. The hotels don't want you, the bars don't want you and the girls certainly don't. If they did they'd be nice to you, right? They'd provide some sort of service for you, right? They'd look happy to see you, right?

Nope, sorry. You just aren't wanted. (Well, the cops want you there, of course. Don't forget to wear that crash helmet!)

The closest that the run down crappy hotels can do in terms of service is to haggle with you at gun point over an erroneous charge on your bill as you check out. Let's face it - when it comes to collecting your cash when you leave, the hotel reception Nazis are never off the clock!

The bars don't want you either because their 'two for one' happy hours mean that you buy one but get billed for two. And if you have the temerity to question this policy then you have a 'bad heart' and are, for the rest of your holiday, designated as a 'Cheap Charlie!'

The so called bar 'girls' (Girls? This is a joke, right?) are in no way interested in you at all because if they were they would cover up those disgraceful tattoos, put out the cigarettes and they would NOT give you the bird until you had actually walked completely past them and out of peripheral vision!

However, mongers of the Pattaya world, they aren't your real enemy...

The rest of this article is HERE!

Just got started with this site...

Every Sunday night I'll add an update to it and eventually I'll turn it into a proper blog...

Your thoughts are always welcome.

Am I way off the mark or is the government of Pattaya setting light to our tails?

Stogie  
    Attached Files

You found another bunch of poor saps to wind up?

RR.
    Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
    Kahuna

Comment

(Road Runner @ Aug. 02 2008,06:08) You found another bunch of poor saps to wind up?      

RR.
        Thats the best part
      You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

Sort of like a mini-Stickman!

Comment

Next time you are in Pattayacheck out the Walking Street Journal.

It is hysterical - good report in there about Why and How Thais do not like Farangs.

New law re Mobile Phones - it is mainly Farangs in cars using mobiles.

No law against a whole village tribe riding one motorcycle with no helmets and a 9 year old steering - no insurance etc

The Journal must be published by a Brit but it is a good 'Tongue in Cheek' read...

Comment

(stogie bear @ Aug. 02 2008,17:16) Sort of like a mini-Stickman!
            That was my first thought too. But it's obviously a lot more vitriolic, whereas Stickman was always quite genial. maybe we should call this one Twisted Stickman!

As a serious response, I enjoyed it, had a good chuckle, could relate to most of it and will keep reading. I thought it sometimes pushed the truth a little bit in the cause of getting a laugh, but that's fine. Push on mate!

But I do worry a little bit about the jadedness of it. Maybe a case of familiarity breeding contempt?

The very first day I was ever in Thailand, in BKK, I was gobsmacked (obvious cliche though it is) by how smiley people were. Having just arrived, I was in the hotel bar getting a beer. The waitress smiled at me, so I smiled back, so she smiled a bit more, so I smiled a bit more, so she giggled, so I giggled.

It was love. Not for her (although I definitely wouldn't have minded) but for the whole Thai thing. And it's never really gone away.

Sure, things have probably got a little bit harder, more commercial and more cynical. I've had rows with rude, robbing bar staff and told them I wouldn't be going back and they've said, good, fuck off then. I've been ripped off here and there, probably more times than I know about. I've learnt to spot a conman at 50 paces and I know you need eyes in the back of your head. I've perfected a death stare that sends Indian tailors scattering before they've even opened their mouths (I'm quite proud of it). And I've had some shags that, after the big build-up they got from the vendor, were deeply disappointing.

But all in all, I've had some of the best times in my life there. I've experienced some amazing acts of
            kindness and generosity from virtual and even total strangers, including prostitutes and, in one unforgettable case, a Bangkok Airport taxi tout. I've had some of the best sex of my life. I can't wait to get back again in a few weeks time. And by and large, I know the smiles that first charmed me will still be there.

Just my fourpennorth!

Comment

Geez Otho, another insightful, intelligent post that I can nought but agree with every word.

I walk the streets of Bangkok happy because ever time I smile at someone who would fob me off at home, I am rewarded with an enormous grin that lights up my day till the next encounter.

And the giggles, I thought it was just my natural charm but getting girls in the bar, the hotel, the shops, anywhere to lose it in fits of laughter has become my main purpose in life.

I suggest others try a little silly humour sometime, trust me, it is its own reward.
              Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

Working...
              X