X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie Drew R.I.P

Ronnie Drew the founder of the irish folk and rebel band "the Dubliners" died this afternoon R.I.P.

http://www.youtube.com/v/9T7OaDDR7i8&hl=en&fs=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/9T7OaDDR7i8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
    i love t-girls

Top man ,top Band, RIP ya jackeen !
    Be lucky,have fun & stay young !

Comment

RIP Ronnie,

Comment

Career
        In the 1950s, Drew emigrated to Spain to teach English and learn Spanish and flamenco guitar. When he returned to Ireland, he performed in the Gate Theatre with John Molloy and soon after went into the music business full-time. In the meantime, he had a number of short-term jobs, including one in the telephone exchange in Dublin.

In 1962, he founded the Ronnie Drew Group with Luke Kelly, Barney McKenna and Ciaran Bourke. This group was later to be known as The Dubliners, and would become one of the best known Irish folk groups. He was a member of The Dubliners from 1962 to 1974 and from 1979 to 1995.

From 1995 onwards Drew pursued a solo career. He has recorded with many artists, including Christy Moore, The Pogues, Antonio Breschi, the Dropkick Murphys, Eleanor Shanley and others.

He is also known for fronting a campaign to encourage the use of Dublin's train infrastructure €“ Dublin Area Rapid Transit (the DART) and before that the "My Dublin" ads for radio station 98fm. He also narrated the stories of Oscar Wilde in his distinctive voice in a series released on CD by the News Of The World newspaper.

On 22 August 2006, he was honoured in a ceremony where his hand prints were added to the "walk of fame" outside Dublin's Gaiety Theatre.

Declining health & death
        In September 2006, Drew was reported to be in ill-health after being admitted to St. Vincent's Hospital, Dublin, to undergo tests for suspected cancer. The Evening Herald reported that Drew's apparent illness was due to years of heavy drinking. However, according to The Dubliners' fan page site it was reported that he has been undergoing treatment for throat cancer. (Drew had been a teetotaler for a number of years, with an occasional relapse.[citation needed] However, he remained a regular smoker.)[citation needed]

Ronnie appeared on the Late Late Show on the 15 December 2006 along with Phil Coulter, where he discussed his recent health scares.

Despite his ailing health, Drew featured on a new album entitled Pearls produced by Niall Austin with work Drew did with Jah Wobble.

His wife of over 40 years, Deirdre Drew (née McCartan) died on 7 June 2007 at St Vincent's Hospital, just a day before Ronnie was due to make his comeback to performing after his battle with cancer, at the Legends of Irish Folk concert with Johnny McEvoy, Ralph McTell and Finbar Furey.

On 25 October 2007 Ronnie Drew appeared on Ryan Confidential on RTÉ 1 to give an exclusive interview about his role in The Dubliners, and his life since leaving the band and being diagnosed with throat cancer. This was Ronnie's first ever televised appearance where he was shown bald and beardless. Later in 2007, Ronnie again appeared on the Late Late Show, where he again spoke about the death of his wife and his ongoing treatment for cancer.

Drew died in St. Vincents Hospital, Dublin on the 16th August 2008 following the long illness. He left one son, a daughter, and five grandchildren.

Comment

He will be sadly missed,RIP Ronnie!  
          If she aint got a dick, she's just a chick!  

Comment

thank you everyone for your tributes
            i love t-girls

Comment

RIP
              My own belief is that there is hardly anyone whose sexual life, if it were broadcast, would not fill the world at large with surprise and horror.  ~W. Somerset Maugham

Comment

went downhill quite quickly afetr his missus died

looked very old on the late late a while back when they launched the single "We Love you Ronnie Drew"

R.I.P. Ronnie - you will be missed
                No honey, no money!!

Comment

Working...
                X