Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US customs apprehension...

Hi

So my next eagerly anticipated LOS trip was set for 21st Dec to 4th Jan,  (the 12th one-obvious addiction here!).   Well, it seems a bit moot now as the airport business will probably necessitate me canceling the whole thing; BUT, if I don't have to, the other thing that's been worrying me is the increasingly hostile and intrusive attitude of the US customs guys whenever I return.

I'm aware that they target single guys above 40 returning from Thailand specifically for extra searches and questioning, and have experienced this myself for several years. Most recently (last year) I returned from China to a wave through, and from Thailand a month afterwards when I was subjected to an immense questioning (why do you go there, what did you do, what's your job, have you got a business card with you, every picture in my camera card examined, complete baggage search etc. ). As yet they haven't actually insulted me or said the only reason anyone goes to Thailand is to be a sex tourist, as I've read they have said to other travelers, but I realize I'm kind of dreading the return through customs this time round. It seems a shame that they can intimidate people in this way, but they have very successfully in my case.  

I think my problem is: I don't know what their legal jurisdiction actually is. I mean I'm not a drug user, and not a paedophile, and I know that's what they're after. But in truth I am a sex tourist, in that I'm going mostly for the ladyboy experience. And to be honest I'd be as much ashamed of people I know knowing this as I would if I was a paedophile (strange though it may seem).

So what I'm asking is: does anyone know whether if you said , well I went to have as much sex as I can with as many women as I can, would that lay you open to some sort of action. I mean I don't give a damn what some idiot CBP guy thinks about what I do, but I do care if they can hold me for some legal reason if  I just admitted this. I mean strictly prostitution is illegal in Thailand , so it doesn't seem sensible to admit to breaking the law in another country..

I dunno. Does anyone have any insight into this or anecdotes of what they said when subjected to this sort of questioning?

I do realize that many people will be of the opinion that if you are ashamed of it then you shouldn't be going at all,  or you should just tell them to f. off, and of course post this kind of stuff all you want, but I'd appreciate some constructive advice or experience as well..

cheers!

I really can't see how any legal implications could arise from you disclosing that you fucked your way around los. It isn't as if they could obtain statements from your sexual parterners. Plus a lot of bars have involvment from a lot of different people on all levels, so i'm sure they would be pretty annoyed if US immigration started to poke there noses into there source of backhanders!
    If say you were involved with underage or drugs then it would be a different matter!
    i'm going where the sun keeps shining.................

Comment

There is no need to worry.

I have returned from Bangkok to every major city in the world including all the major US Airports over a number of decades.

I have, on occasion, been stopped by Customs and Immigration Authorities.

I have, on occasions had my luggage search and in a couple of places I have been body-searched.

Of all the questions I have been asked, I have never been asked why I had been in Thailand and although my laptop has been switched on once (in an ex-Soviet country) no one has ever looked at the portable hard drive on which I keep many years of photos and ATS downloads.

I have also travelled through every European Country and through most US Airports including JFK, Newark, Atlanta, LAX, SF, Chicago, and Dallas with various LB Companions all of whom had Thai, PI, or Malaysian Passports with a male name (but with tourist visas). My partners have never received anything more than a raised eyebrow and twice a possible snigger or sotto voice ribald comment. I ignore such things.

I have said this many times before €“ but people would snigger if I was with a 6 ft tall, 20 year old blonde Estonian super-model; let them snigger, giggle or comment if I am with a 5ft 8 inch tall, long-haired, brown-skinned, Malaysian LB.

It is obvious that my travelling companion is not my daughter, grand-daughter, great-grand-daughter or nurse but anyone reading our passports would see a 55 year age difference between us.

I am living my life the way I want to live it!

I am not doing anything illegal.
      The LB is with me of her own free will.

I do not give a shit what people think and (unless you are smuggling drugs or other contraband) you should not waste one second of your time worrying about possible actions by US Customs and Immigration.

Comment

Never a problem for me either, been thru, coming and going from BKK, a few major US airports and LHR as well.
        I dont have a laptop, or camera either, but being somewhat familiar with how these things work, attitude is everything, You're not doing anything wrong going on a vacation, don't act as if you are, get your bags, and stride confidently thru the nothing to declare lanes, if you get pulled over, be polite and cooperative, you'r eplaying on their field, having a hissy fit, breaking their balls or inquiring "why me", only raises their radar, as THE GAME says, "you have no NEED to worry", hve a great time too.
        Life is short. Live it well.

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for those posts! Good advice!  

It isn't that I wonder "why me" though, because I know it's not personal, just the combination of age, single male and itinerary. I'm also the absolute opposite of someone with an attitude: if anything, I'm over deferential and polite. But I have already  been asked "why did you go to Thailand" both of the last two times I came back, and each time they have been slightly more aggressive, without as yet subjecting me to the grilling I have read other people get (who did you see in Thailand? Have you got their contact information?!). I was just wondering what the best way to react would be if they did escalate to  more aggressive questioning, as it seems to me that an increasing number of trips increases the intensity of the scrutiny....

I think my best bet is to go with the climate, food, temples, beaches, plus low cost answers that I've given before (and are all true of course) and hope for the best.

I am a worrier by nature I'm afraid, and not good when confronted by swaggering officials, especially as being picked out for secondary search makes me feel guilty even though I haven't done anything!

Thanks for the well wishes.

By the way-any guesses as to my chances of actually making it to LOS-or will there be a full scale civil war by the 21st???

cheers

Comment

(partington1 @ Nov. 30 2008,12:36) I have already been asked "why did you go to Thailand" both of the last two times I came back,
            I've usually been asked "what was the purpose of your trip?", as if it's a standard question for them, and I just say "vacation". They accept it, stamp me, give me back my passport and wave me on.
            “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
            ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

Same same me.

Comment

UK perspective.  Have been stopped once, at Heathrow, in more than 20 visits.  Full luggage search, didn't check camera (which was obviously full of Chao Phrya River & temple photos   ). Asked about my reason for visit.  Ans: Tourism, sightseeing, meeting friends   .  See no reason to answer anything else.  They know, but are mainly looking out for the pedos.... I hope they catch them.

I asked the female(?) customs 'spacehopper' why she had stopped me.  Her answer 'Because I can!"  

.... I kept my cool, fortunately
                TT

Comment

I was once asked if I brought back any Heroin
                  "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

I come and go for the last few years every couple of months. They never seem to bat an eyelid. About four years ago there was a stretch where they stopped me and questioned me quite thouroughly. It was obvious they were looking for signs of dope/smuggling. I have to say that all these times I was sat up front and only had carry on so I was the first one thru. I guess since they had the time, they figured hey would have a look before the hordes came. Oh well. By the way. it would take me less than an hour from the time we blocked in til the time I walked into my flat! Not bad, eh?

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!
                    Be careful out there!

Comment

Just give them a lot of undeniable bullshit when they ask questions.

They have no right to force you to tell where you have been, who you saw or what you did, as this impedes on your freedom to go where you please. Since they dont have the right to force truthful answers, you have the right to lie to protect your constitutional rights.

Answers:
                      - sightseeing
                      - vacation
                      - studying thai language
                      - etc.

I wonder what they would say if you answered that you were in Thailand to fuck a bunch of ladyboys and get fucked in the ass by them?

Comment

There have been a few threads before on this very topic, all very interesting which may be helpful.
                        Since we are in this one at the moment, which Ports of Entry are you guys having difficulty with??
                        Could it be you are on a list and flagged?
                        You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

Working...
                        X