Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What live act would you OVER PAY to see?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What live act would you OVER PAY to see?

I don't like live concerts much. I've been to a few over the years, Dylan, Sinatra, Supertramp, Alice Cooper... blah de blah de blah...

Great gigs all of them but I just don't get a buzz by concerts the way many people do... BUT...

Here is a list of acts I'd sell my girlfriend to go and see...

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    Leonard Cohen
    Pink Floyd
    Tony Bennett
    The Stranglers

By the way, dead artists don't count so don't put Jimi Hendrix!

How about you? Is there a live act out there that you would travel the world or over pay to go and see?

Attached Files

Does a Tijuana donkey show count? We'd both probably overpay to see it..

If not, C, S, N&Y or Tony Bennett....

Comment

I'm not big on concerts either, and would much rather just buy the CD. Wouldn't sell a gf for any act unless they were dead. (Doors, Grateful Dead, INX with MH, Johnny Cash and Led Zepplin) Here is a list of 5 that I would see, if I got a free ticket to go....

Red Hot chili Peppers
      Hunters and Collectors
      Kiss
      U2
      and if Peter Garret would sell out his polical party like he did his values for that party and go back with Midnight Oil I would add them.

Last concert I saw: Janes Addiction

First Concert: Bad Company

Best Concert: U2 Tampa Stadium 1989

Top 3 Bands I would most like to see dead or alive:
      The Doors
      Led Zeppelin
      INX

Comment

The Rolling Stones

Keith Richards is God
        Attached Files
        Your got yer Mother in a whirl
        Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

(Boarhog @ Mar. 15 2009,19:37) and if Peter Garret would sell out his polical party like he did his values for that party and go back with Midnight Oil I would add them.
          Midnight Oil were the headline act last night in Melbourne for the concert to raise money for the bush fire victims.

Peter Garrett was by all accounts as good as ever, he was on every news program in the country performing his crazy gyrations.

Tomorrow morning he will be back at his day job - the Federal Minister for the Environment, Heritage & the Arts.
          Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

(Stogie @ Mar. 15 2009,18:02) Here is a list of acts I'd sell my girlfriend to go and see...

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
            Leonard Cohen
            Pink Floyd
            Tony Bennett
            The Stranglers
            That's a nice list...

I had the pleasure of watching Tony Bennett play the Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Vegas in 1998.

A wonderful show, he sang the first half with his 88yo accompanist on piano, he alone was worth the price of the ticket, the second half with an orchestra as he kept the audience spellbound with his mastery.

Last year I saw CS&N (Neil Young has only rejoined them once I believe), still good, only spoilt by the foul mouth of the only Englishman in the band, an ill-tempered Graham Nash, whose rants about George W were beyond the pale.

Leonard Cohen played here a few weeks ago to great acclamation & stunning reviews, at the age of 73, only a few years younger than Bennett was.

Pink Floyd have always been heros of mine & somewhere I have an old Stranglers cassette (remember them?) with their classic "Skin Deep".

Now what do I win?
            Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

I got to see both Neil Young and Leonard Cohen in Sydney Jan 09.  

Don't worry about Crosby, Stills and Nash - Neil Young is the legend. He put on a great performance playing a mixture of acoustic and rock, some of the standouts for me were - Love And Only Love, Cortez The Killer, Cinnamon Girl, Words and Rockin' In The Free World. He finished the show with a guitar string snapping cover of A Day In The Life. The only problem was that the set was a bit short, Neil went off and I think everyone expected him to come back for an encore. But Neil is over 60 so we should give the guy a break, the sad thing is considering his age he might not tour again. One strange thing in the show was a guy doing paintings at the back of the stage that didn't seem to have any relevance to the music.
              I also got to see Neil in 2003 on his Greendale tour. On that tour he played a longer set - the whole Greendale album complete with actors and sets followed by some rock classics.
              Neil has continued to release music over the last 40 years and hasn't just relied on the same tired old songs. He still stands up for what he believes in (Living With War) and he's not concerned with popularity - I love the fact that Geffen tried to sue him in the 80's for releasing un-Neil Young like albums. I would definitely over pay to see him again.

Leonard Cohen was also awesome. Leonard hasn't toured Australia for about 25 years so it was a rare chance to see him and he didn't disappoint. As much a poet as a singer he has written some great songs, some standouts from the show were - Everybody Knows, Chelsea Hotel #2, Suzanne and I'm Your Man. Another one who probably won't tour again but I would over pay to see him again.

Those Canadians sure can write some good music ... whoops I forgot about Celine Dion and Bryan Adams.
              I don't get it, is this a magic show?

Comment

(pacman @ Mar. 15 2009,21:28) Last year I saw CS&N (Neil Young has only rejoined them once I believe), still good, only spoilt by the foul mouth of the only Englishman in the band, an ill-tempered Graham Nash, whose rants about George W were beyond the pale.
                CSN have done three albums with Neil plus a couple of live and compilation albums, Stills and Young also did an album together. Obviously must of the collaborations were in the 70s but in the last 10 years they have toured together a few times.

Some other artist I would over pay to see are

Nick Cave - I try to see him every tour - another great, prolific artist.
                Radiohead.
                Eels - E's songs are like a biography.
                PJ Harvey - great voice, I saw her last year at the Opera House.
                Ben Watt - my favourite DJ.
                Paul Kelly - Australian legend, always puts on a good show.

I'll slip in a few dead artist (BH did it first). I would have loved to have seen some of the great blues/jazz performers - John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Albert King, R.L.Burnside and Nina Simone.
                I don't get it, is this a magic show?

Comment

(Stogie @ Mar. 15 2009,03:02) How about you? Is there a live act out there that you would travel the world or over pay to go and see?
                  No.

My idea of great live shows are the Issan music festivals on Sai Sam in Pattaya.    

Comment

Hootie & the BlowFish, had the chance to see them live at the Shepbush Empire after their 2nd album, outstanding ! Then was due to go to the windy city & see them, but broke up with the girl b4 i booked the flights LOL
                    Be lucky,have fun & stay young !

Comment

The Stranglers

never got to see the ramones or the clash

Comment

Got Bruce Springsteen for free last year. Great show, although he did not play one song from his 'Born in the USA' album.

Paid for Kiss and it was a hell of a show. Still (or again) the hottest band in the world - at least on stage.

Comment

Hey Piggdog our favourite band The Specials have reformed and are touring the UK this summer , but I hate it when bands reform , why can't they just leave it as it was The old magic will never be recaptured .

Overpay ? All concerts are overpriced nowdays , but mugs like me still pay it to see our hero's .

Bands/ artists I have to see everytime they come to Ireland .

Paul Weller
                          Neil Young
                          Primal Scream
                          Lee Scratch Perry
                          Kings Of Leon
                          Groove Armada
                          Chemical Brothers
                          Bob Dylan

Oh I love a good concert
                          Free your mind and your ass will follow .

Comment

only live act im interested in is the troupe on stage at any of the bars in nana,especially if theres some bits wigglin and hanging in the breeze,thats where my buck goes!...........you can have bono and co
                            robbo

Comment

I was lucky enough to get paid to see Pink Floyd 5 times within the space of one week when they played the London Arena back in the mid 90's, also the same for Pavarotti, but only twice.

PF were brilliant, but the show was identical on all 5 occasions, could have just watched the video for the last 4
                              Meum cerebrum nocet

Comment

Working...
                              X