X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TLC for Computers in LOS!

I never had to think about the question while staying in air-conditioned hotel rooms, but I can imagine that quite a few LOS dwellers don't have their aircon on permanently in order to save some B$ off their energy bill.

When the summer is hot in Europe, room temperature can get to 28-29 °C, and sometimes my computers would begin missing CPU cycles or randomly rebooting or freezing up.
    I had to install a huge heat sink that didn't even fit in the case to get rid of the problem.
    Now it works, but the case has a hole in its side.

What's the situation in LOS?

Do computers with fast CPUs come already fitted with one of these things?

http://www.legitreviews.com/images....ase.jpg

If your in Europe I find this site pretty handy for anything PC related. Note if the Ambient temperature gets above 32 degrees most of the high end stuff will just shut itself down. Was funny at my first Job when we told our boss we needed new Air Con for the server room he just blanked us. That summer his whole server room shut down becuase he had too much kit and too little AC. How much do you reckon that cost him?

Overclockers
    Beer Baron

Comment

Yea , PCs run hot here
      Some options are. Use a 'Shuttle' pc, which handle heat better and can slow CPU down when running hot.

Use a notebook, instead of a desktop. Notebook coolers are sold here, which are stands with a fan to cool of the underside of the notebook

Underclock your PC, run it at 90% of rated speed and much less likely to have a problem when it gets hot....doesn't solve the problem of heat being bad for the HD though.

And most drastic, turn off your PC at night and do not run it 24/7. If you want to run bitorrent at night, use a cheap laptop for that
      "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

manarak, most Thais do not run their systems 24/7, and typically turn it off when they don't use it. They are usually using their computers when they are at home with the ac on. Businesses who run their systems 24/7 also leave their a/c to keep things from overheating.

If you need more cooling Pantip Plaza has plenty of hardware shops that have extra cooling, big heat sinks, big fans, liquid cooling systems even - for those who like to overclock their systems.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
        Membership Levels
        The Rookie Thread
        New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
        Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Ocassionally it seems that small insects would get into my laptop.

Comment

For a long time I've been using a large well spec'ed laptop instead of a desktop computer.  More like a tank top!  

They have always travelled to Thailand with me and I've never had any problems with cooling of the computer itself.

The only thing I found with one Dell computer was that the charger used to run very hot (it did in the UK) and the thermal cut out would turn it off for a period until it cooled down.

I now have an Acer with a large display screen and that happily runs for 24 hours with no A/C and no problem.

As the others have said if it concerns you  -  go to Panthip Plaza.  You can buy laptop coolers,  giant heatsinks,  water coolers and coolers with flashing LEDs!

They even have a few ladyboys walking around  -  saw 4 last time I was there in about 40 minutes.

RR.
            Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
            Kahuna

Comment

(PigDogg @ Apr. 04 2009,00:42) Ocassionally it seems that small insects would get into my laptop.
              I don't doubt that as I imagine that they can easily come and go via the key-passages, but how do you notice that - is it when letters seem to walk about in MS Word documents but those little ants actually got behind the screen ;-)

Comment

Cooling your PC or laptop will extend it's life for sure.

I have a laptop cooler AND a massive green fan aimed directly at it. Also my room is air conned 24/7. So far so good!

Comment

(PigDogg @ Apr. 04 2009,00:42) Ocassionally it seems that small insects would get into my laptop.
                  My off-topic reply:

Your experience/knowledge can also be found in the etymology, of the word "de-bugging". Pertaining to software.
                  The short version of the story:

Around WW2, a room-sized computer was short circuited by an insect (or a bug).

(Some sources indicate, that Grace Hopper, coined the term.)
                  "I don´t know what to do. Losing sleep. Kicked from a chatroom on a board about worshipping young transsexual prostitutes.
                  I´ve my fair share of disapointments and hardtimes in my life, but this....."

Comment

get a tuf book

Comment

I've been in Pattaya nearly 6 months now...I hate aircon so it is never on in my room
                      (unless my lady of the evening sneaks it on after I fall asleep), I don't use cooling fans
                      or other such devices and I have never had a problem with overheating...I mean with my
                      laptop...I personally overheat all the time but there is a simple solution for that...

PS...But you can buy those little laptop cooling stand things at TukCom for less than 200 baht...

And, of course, now that my computer knows what I have said, it will likely fry itself in a matter of minutes...
                      "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

Working...
                      X