X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Reality" TV

Now i remember about 10 years ago when this "reality" TV craze hit. First it was Survivor that was a HUGE hit and they got more than one season out of it. Then a whole bunch of copycats followed. TV likes them because they are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!! No actors, writers to pay nor sets and all that stuff.

Which ones do you enjoy?? The ones I enjoy I like to call "docu-reality" TV. this genre started with one on the Discovery channel entitled THE DEADLIEST CATCH. Its in its 5th season now I believe. I havent seen any episodes this season but due to the miracles of the DVR I can watch all the episodes at my leisure.

This series gets great ratings and is the leader in this genre. I also enjoy the series that appear on the History channel in the USA both AX MEN and ICE ROAD TRUCKERS. There was one on Nat geo about the Port of Long Beahc that was good that was on last year.

I have to correct myself I think that in actuality COPS was the first "reality" TV. The other ones I find just very silly but if people like them, who am I to deny them their guilty pleasure.

I am probably forgetting some good series but what the hey. You know they have one here in thailand thats a cross between AMERICAN IDOL and BIG BROTHER-both of which I never watched. In fact, on UBC they have a channel dedicated to watching these Thai nudnicks 24/7. The kids love it.

Anyway, what say youse?? What are your favorites??

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!
    Be careful out there!

Deadliest Catch is pretty good, but is quite same same.

i personally like the UK edition of the Apprentice, and also the early rounds of the Talent (less) competitions.

Big Brother can be fun if they get the right combination of idiots together!
    seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Can't stand any of them. Nuff said!

Comment

(BlueBallz @ May 11 2009,08:50) Which ones do you enjoy??
        I think I would prefer waterboarding.....

RR.
        Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
        Kahuna

Comment

i find it all absoulute rubbish, if you believe that shit then you have no brain or need to get a life lol
          as a great friend of mine said "what is it bout reality the human race hates"
          just a sex tourist looking for hot fun

Comment

Personally I would prefer to watch the World Crocheting Championships
            happy when in thailand

Comment

I like them much better than regular TV (except for 24 and Gossip Girl).

Survivor, Amazing Race, Beauty and the Geek, and the Apprentice are my favorites. I even liked the one with Tila Tequilla. These are my guilty pleasures.

Comment

I was and still am a Survivor fan, unfortunately they don't package or promote survivor very well in Australia.

I'm still hoping they go back to thailand again, this time dropping them off in Bangkok or Phuket. I will be sending my audition tape for that one.

I may have to send them a whole season guidlines, perhaps each contestant gets an ATM card with only 20,000 baht on it to last them the entire 42 days if they make it that far. Challenges could be could be very interesting. Farangs panhandling, men trying to hook up with Thai girls or ladyboys for housing. Contestants sinking to new lows. I think I have a shot to win that one.

Comment

I'd rather undergo dental surgery without benefit of anesthesia than watch that shite.
                  "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
                  Salin' on a summer breeze
                  And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
                  -Harry Nilsson

Comment

I can honestly say I've seen none of them , I check the TV page in the paper and only turn the TV on if there's something I wanna watch , sometimes its not on for days on end .

Now the hi fi is never off , not sure the neighbors are too happy about that one though
                    Free your mind and your ass will follow .

Comment

dental surgery without benefit of anesthesia
                      Now that's a great idea for a reality show.  It could be called House of Pain.

Episode 2 is Giuliani time and the stakes get upped every week.   Season finale can be a castration episode.

Comment

I basically agree with Stogie. Reality tv sucks. One exception for me though was Tia Tequila because I like to see two hot chicks swapping spit. I think Tia shudda chosen the butch les chick rather than the dude though. I think that chick truly had stronger feelings for Tia. When it come down to having to make one choice, Tia went with the hard cock over the skilled tongue. I guess we can, most of us anyway, related to liking a hard cock up us.

My closest idea to true reality tv, for what I watch every week, is My Name is Earl.
                        Now, that's as close to true to life as I care for tv to generally take me.
                        “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
                        ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

My guilty pleasure when I want something entertaining & light is definitely Gordon Ramsay's Hells Kitchen.... fucking hilarious, way better than any comedy shows currently on American TV.
                          I think the "reality" shows are actually miles better than the scripted dross that plagues most of US entertainment TV. Can't think of a non-HBO scripted series that I've found entertaining since Seinfeld.

Comment

(strocube @ May 11 2009,21:42) I'd rather undergo dental surgery without benefit of anesthesia than watch that shite.
                            I think this line pretty much sizes up anything that comes in through the TV

I will say however that Deadliest Catch and Ax-Men and similar shows which have people risking their necks for average money while working in the most extreme temps do qualify as decent entertainment; if for no other reason than so we can sit on our warm sofa's with the blanket pulled up and say "at least I don't have to do THAT shit!"
                            Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Is there anyone out there who lives without a goggle box ?

Comment

Working...
                              X