Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first intro to Thailand was via Thai food, and I still love it (and cook it when I'm in the UK).  Favourite dishes - Thai salads (esp yam thua phu), hoy nang rom (crispy oyster omelette,  pref at MBK Food court), and guay tiow gai (chicken noodle soup).  Best 'pad thai' I ever tasted was served to me on a sunbed on Kata Beach. One of my favourite fish dishes was in Sydney (red curry salmon) at a great cafe called 'Thai-riffic'    

Chinese influences are great too, including roast duck.  Was very disappointed with Vietnamese food, perhaps I need a guide next time.

Voted 'Thai'!
    TT

Comment

I eat asian food almost everyday and between Nat and I we cook Indo, Thai, Burmese, Sri Lankan (some of the hottest most varied and greatest food around!), Malay and Indian of course!!

So, we love all the choices bar Filipino and Laos, and only cause we've never tried them

Love the kim chee btw

Comment

Love Korean food the most... some good restaurants in BKK (arirang in korea town springs to mind), Pattaya & else where..nothing decent yet found.
        And yes Korean food in Korea is much better than most places internationally - I have eaten some really divine food on my trips there.

Of course Thai is great, Vietnamese is good, good Japanese is good (wish the Chinese would fuck off and let Japanese do the cooking ) - maybe its a Melbourne problem.

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

(koykaeng @ May 04 2010,06:57) Reading the topic of this thread reminded of an exchange I had many years ago with a stereotypical country bred Australian chap.

We were discussing food, and I enquired innocently whether he liked Asian Food.

He replied; "I've tried Chinese, Thai & Malaysian, but never had any Asian cuisine".
          Well if I said I was dating an Asian girl to My London mates, they would automatically think Indian Or Pakistani, they would not think of a Thai or an Indonesian girl. On seeing the said girl, they would say " ah an Oriental girl" hence the topic title.

We use the word "Asian" very differently here in the UK

We had a wank Mag here in the 80's called "Asian Babes" it only ever had Indian & Pakistani models in it.
          Be lucky,have fun & stay young !

Comment

(kahuna @ May 04 2010,04:36) You're obviously been eating at the wrong Japanese restaurants son...
            Perhaps that's the case Dad, but not knowing any Japanese people, I have only ever been in ones recommended by falangs & no like

Comment

Where's The Fish & Chips?

Correct Asian is perceived as Indian. My punt was Japanese, clean & pure but costs a bloody fortune in London

Comment

(seamus @ May 05 2010,00:54) We had a wank Mag here in the 80's called "Asian Babes" it only ever had Indian & Pakistani models in it.
                My mum found that educational journal under my bed one time

I love Thai food and cook my own weird versions of my favourite dishes depending what is in the fridge , I add chillies to everything and do some mean spicy salads and an Irish version of tom yam kung .

That meal we had in Dublin wasn't bad Seamus , if a tad overpriced (but then it was Temple Bar ) that was my first taste of Maylasian cuisine .

I love Japanese , I found Vietnamese dissappointing, was afraid of Korean incase I got a dog and only eat Chinese when I'm drunk .
                Free your mind and your ass will follow .

Comment

(jimslim @ May 04 2010,20:36) My mum found that educational journal under my bed one time  

That meal we had in Dublin wasn't bad Seamus , if a tad overpriced (but then it was Temple Bar ) that was my first taste of Maylasian cuisine .
                  Yep got caught with that one Me'self young Jim

That food We had In Dub was supposed to be Indonesian, but some Malaysian food is exactly the same as Indonesian anyhow & everything We had in that restaurant I can cook better here in London, it was a very poor example of Indonesian food & your right it was expensive

Where do We eat on the next Irish BM's night out

Comment

Never tried Indonesian, must get to Bali sometime.  Only tried 'Fuji' in BKK for japanese food - which I enjoyed (is that a good example, or just a fast food version?)  Where is it worth eating Japanese in BKK (or Pattaya)?

Voted 'Thai', with Chinese close second.  Would probably enjoy Laos, a bit over-spicy maybe? So that's 3 countries I need to visit  

Comment

(laputanegra @ May 04 2010,10:21) Thai and Japanese im starting to like korean though since last week when friends invited me to a new korean restaurant its not that bad kimchi looks ewwwwww though  never eating that.
                      You won't eat Kimchi, but most Pinoy eat balut. I love Kimchi but the idea of eating what is in balut ranks even below the dried bugs they eat in Thailand.

So, do you eat balut while turning your nose up at Kimchi?
                      “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
                      ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

Its ALL Good
                        You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

Working...
                        X