X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take This Job And Shove It

A JetBlue flight attendant blew his top, grabbed some beer and bolted out an emergency slide at Kennedy Airport Monday - then headed home to have sex with his boyfriend.

After he was bonked in the head by a bag, Steven Slater stunned passengers by spewing profanity and ranting about quitting as the flight from Pittsburgh pulled up to the gate about noon.

"To the f-----g a--hole who told me to f--k off, it's been a good 28 years," Slater, 38, purred, cops said. "I've had it. That's it," he added, a passenger said.

The mad-as-hell steward grabbed a couple of brewskis and popped one open before activating the emergency exit, witnesses told airport employees.

After tossing his two carry-on bags on the slide, he followed them to the tarmac.

Slater - who actually first started working for airlines 20 years ago, not 28 - then walked to the AirTrain, stripped off his company tie and flung it off as bemused passengers watched.

"I wish we could all quit our jobs like that," said passenger Phil Catelinet, 36, of Brooklyn, who was on the flight and the AirTrain.

"He seemed kind of happy about it. He was like, 'I just quit my job.' "

Port Authority police said it took jetBlue 25 minutes to report the incident, allowing Slater time to leave the scene.

Cops found him in bed with his boyfriend when they arrived to arrest him at a beachfront home in the Rockaways with a porch overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, sources said.

He boasted to skeptical cops that he really did escape by chute with his carry-on luggage.

"Oh, yes, I did! I threw them down first and I went down after," he told cops, sources said.

He was grinning as police walked him in handcuffs to a squad car. "He left with a big smile on his face," said neighbor Curt Karkowski.
    Attached Files

Quitting your job over a JetBlue cabin intercom? $0.

Grabbing two beers on your way out? $12.

Escaping your career via the airplane€™s emergency chute and instantly becoming the most beloved disgruntled worker in America? Priceless.

After being hit on the head by an allegedly rude passenger€™s luggage, JetBlue flight attendant Steven Slater blew off some verbal steam on the intercom system, grabbed some beverages and slid out the emergency exit. He is scheduled to appear in court today to face charges of criminal mischief, reckless endangerment, and trespassing. He could face up to seven years in jail if he is convicted.

Nevertheless, the fed-up flight attendant has become the toast of the online community. While some online commenters think he deserves to go to jail, and others have suggested that the passenger who allegedly mistreated him should be arrested, the online response to Slater€™s turbulent meltdown appears to be overwhelmingly positive.

Not only is his story the number one trending topic on Twitter (in New York City, in Seattle, in Baltimore€¦the list goes on), but a number of Facebook fan pages have sprung up in support of this 20-year veteran of the airline industry.

While 'I hate the m-----f----r who called Steven Slater a m-----f----r' has perhaps the most colorful name of all the Facebook fan pages, 'Steven Slater' is the largest fan page in support of the stressed-out steward. 'Steven Slater' is literally gaining more followers by the minute. As of 12:30pm on Tuesday, more than 20,000 people had €˜liked€™ the page, and hundreds had used the page€™s wall to voice their support for the Internet€™s newest hero.

Many of of Slater€™s fans appears to be familiar with the trials and tribulations of customer service-oriented careers.

€œAs anyone who deals with rude and crude people on a daily basis knows, you can only take so much crap, before you snap and give it right back!€ wrote Facebook fan Kat Bartlett of Atlanta, GA.

Dayna Morley of Toronto, Canada wrote, €œSteven you are awesome! I work as a Flight Attendant as well and you are my hero. We're all giving you props here in our crew room this morning.€

The 'Steven Slater Legal Defense Fund'Facebook page claims to be collecting funds for Steven Slater's legal defense costs, though it is unclear who is collecting the money.

A cottage industry may be springing up around the low-altitude meltdown, as well. €˜Free Steven Slater€™ t-shirts are for sale on a number of websites.

On the Daily News website, one commenter wrote, €œThey should make this guy the head of the FAA.€

Ironically, the air host with the most (Facebook fans) once wrote on his MySpace page that his personal hero is €œUli Derikson, the TWA #847 purser whose heroic actions saved many lives during 17 day hijack ordeal.€

JetBlue passenger and Slater spectacle witness Phil Catelinet of Brooklyn, NY, who the Daily News located on Twitter shortly after the incident, has since become a minor celebrity in his own right, joining the ranks of infamous news witnesses like Miracle on the Hudson Twitterer Janis Krums. Since his Daily News interview, Catelinet has been solicited by CNN, the Today Show, ABC and others.

Will Slater go to jail? Will he ever work as a flight attendant again? Is this the beginning of a lucrative career as a reality television star? The world will have to wait and see. For now, Steven Slater in the news - and on the World Wide Web. In the words of Facebook fan Alberto Pimento, €œ...Congratulations and America is by your side."

Directory of Steven Slater Facebook Fan Pages:

Steven Slater

Steven Slater

Steven Slater

Free Steven Slater

I Support Steven Slater

I hate the m-----f----r who called Steven Slater a m-----f----r.

Steven Slate: Hero of the Working Man

I Slide for Steven Slater, Because I Understand

I want Steven Slater to be my flight attendant

Comment

I think that's got to be the best story of the month.      

Having seen some of the arseholes you get on planes and dealt with similar myself I say...                

They should let him off and charge the passenger with reckless endangerment  for failing to follow the cabin crew's instructions
      and endangering the other passengers.      

RR.
      Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
      Kahuna

Comment

I dunno what to think.

I'm amused, shocked, perplexed, relieved, laughing and crying by this story.

At least since he was bonked on the head, he can claim "a concussion" made him do it and try to get his job back.

P.S. I once quit my job in a similar fashion but alas not like him on a plane.

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

Good for him!    

Dunno about you guys, but I have wanted to do that, or something similar, at every fucking job I've ever had.
          I hope he gets a bit of $ for this and maybe even a new career as well.
          "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
          Salin' on a summer breeze
          And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
          -Harry Nilsson

Comment

Cry Freedom!

It warms my heart.... Lets face it everyone needs to make a grand gesture sometimes. Compared to "going postal" and blowing away his workmates I think it was a thoroughly civilized departure from a job.

There are some really rude pricks on planes as I am reminded every time I fly from Vietnam to LOS on Vietnam Airways and the plane is packed with Russians.....
            f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

Saw that piece yesterday...Pretty fucking funny...

I've done it before...Just walked off a job...Not nearly as dramatically as this fellow though...
              "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

I wish I had done that.  

I was 16 when I did what I did, I was working at Pathmark to make money for my first guitar and it was a mostly black neighborhood, but I wanted to stay away from gangs and wanted a corporate job or a music career eventually so I was more "conservative" in the way I behaved and how I talked. Unfortunately I was made fun of. That Christmas Eve, they had a party and ordered in a giant sandwich.. you know the office parties.. I was about to take my share, the manager asked me to go do some work. I did, then the pharmacist asked me to bring him a sandwich. I went to get some and the manager apparently thought I was snoozing off, said something like "That's the last straw!", I replied I was taking this to the pharmacist, he said, "yeah right". At that point I lost it, I threw the entire sandwich on the ground and kicked it and walked out of the job. My way of saying "Merry Christmas" to him.  

Hopefully he had fun cleaning the mess and feeding the pharmacist that got paid more than him!

Thank god I never got in trouble for that with the law.. one of the many stupid moments of my life but I tend to look back upon it fondly.

Oh btw I did manage to get my guitar, Sam Ash had a new years sale and I picked up a Jackson Kelly Professional for the cheap. I've had it for 16 years now although I'm no Jimmy Hendrix.  

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

Good Story Jake!
                  My first job was working at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary when i was 16 (LPKS is a very well known and long time tourist attraction in Brisbane, Aus.)
                  Great job if you liked raking acres of leaves and gravel. Koalas are not cute. They scratch. Goanna's bite AND scratch.
                  After 2 weeks I had pretty much had enough when i had to stick my arm down the septic tank of the ladies toilets and retrieve a tampon that was blocking up the works....
                  f0xxee

Comment

good for him !
                    and a hearty 'fuck off' to all the authorities who arrested him and are trying to charge him with something.

I once quit a job, and they gave me a form to fill out, where it asked reason I wrote 'see other side', and then I wrote 'I QUIT' as big as I could on the back of the page.
                    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

BUT: My best 2 x brain snap moments leading to rapid unemployment (and arrest in one case) happened as follows:

Working as a gardener on Hamilton island, Whitsundays, Qld. I was I think about 22. There were acres of very steep grassed slopes that lead from the condos down to the main resort. Gardeners where given a Stihl brush cutter weighing about 24kg to trim this obscene amount of grass. Pay was lessd than the minimum mandatory wage (So yes, I sympathise with wetbacks.) In the tropical early mornings you would start at the top, waving the Stihl brush cutter in front of you. (imagine a weed-whacker on steroids with a blade rather than fishing line and you get the idea.)

Due to the eartly morning dew, the grass would be as slippery as goose shit, and if you started to slide you would keep on going, all the way to the botom some 75m below with an angry 2stoke driven blade somewhere close by if you rolled or fell. Hence you got pretty good at boot-ski-ing.However once at the bottom it was a 500m walk by road with the brush cutter back to the top. And start again... and slide again.... and walk again.....

And we were the lowest paid crew on the island, there were no unions and we were treated like shit, having to PAY on the isalnd ferry for the privledge of going to work each day, where as all other staff lived on the island and were treated with food and accomodation.

Anyhow one day I had boot-skied the slope about 4 times and was rolling a cigarette when the resort owner (Kieth Williams) came past in his Pajero. "Put that cigarette out and get back to work or your sacked" he yelled form the air conditioned luxury of his 4WD.....
                      I kept smoking. 5 minutes later he came back; "You're NBO'd (Next Boat Over-sacked)Take the rubbish to the dump and be on the miday barge!"
                      Well fuck me! No problem... I'd been there for 6 months and got an rental house (12 people, no furniture, fleas, a constantly bubbling 20L pot of "blue-meanie" mushroom soup on the stove) so I didn't need the job.

I jumped on the tractor and started taking the rubbish to the landfill next to the airport... the path led right past the Boss' s office. And there was the Pajero. I managed to side swipe it nicely with both tractor and trailor, neatly pushing it off the path and over the edge of a 20m precipice.... And then parked the tractor and beat feat to the Barge.

Needless to say the Police were waiting for me on the other side (Shute Harbour.) Was I charged. No. What with? The police were used to KW's antics by this time. he treated staff like crap. Not long after a disgruntled builder who had not been paid burnt the main resort to the ground....

to be continued... the next grand gesture was far more creative.....
                      f0xxee

Comment

(f0xxee @ Aug. 10 2010,16:25) to be continued... the next grand gesture was far more creative.....
                          Cheers Foxxee, that's a good one bro, not sure how you can top it  

Workers in low paid jobs who deal with the public put up with lots of abuse.

A McDonald"s employee told a customer that McNuggets weren't available since only the breakfast menu was being served and here is the customer's response.

http://www.youtube.com/v/SPWsBwDDupg&hl=en_US&fs=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/SPWsBwDDupg&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Comment

LOL Foxxee, can't wait to hear the other venture.

Comment

As A trolley dolly myself I cannot condone what he did. Do I understand it?? Of course, but he should have been WAAAAAAAAAAAY smarter than that. If he did get hit in the head with a bag and the pax cussed him out he could EASILY have had her/him arrested instead. Would have conferred with the Capt. Dont know what the culture is like @ JetBlue but at my airline I would guess that over 90% of the captains would have backed me up. If it were someone that knew me and worked with me before, it would be 100%. What pisses me off about this story is I ahvent seen ANY mention made of what happened to the troublemaker, classless clown who started all this!!

You know I do have to say, the VAST majority of the traveling public I deal with are pretty cool but I see stupid shit everyday. After all these years, I try and let the stupid shit roll my back the ater off a duck. You have to pick your battles. I ahve to say people always have a cavalier disregard for the fasten seat belt sign. If you have ever been in even "moderate turbulance" you wouldnt walk around the cabin when there is any turbulance. Lets not even talk about "severe turbulance". Not fun. Its happened ONCE in over 20 years of flying. The pilots have NO control over the aircraft and we thought we had 3 heart attacks on our hands-no shit. There was a flight a couple of weeks ago that had to be diverted by turbulance. The seat belt sign was on but there were people walking around the cabin and people who did NOT have their seat belts on. Guess who the only ones that suffered injuries??? Wankers.....

Dont get me started with asshole and their cell phones/Blackberrys. If I ever go off, its gonna be because of this.
                            Be careful out there!

Comment

Thanks Jake and PD, and thanks for the Macca's video. Scary to see white trash having a brain snap like that about McNuggets. If McNugget withdrawls cause  her such angst  its scary to think she might have children or animals.
                              I would recommend not entirely voluntary euthenasia.

OK: hard to belive I could top my episode on Hamilton Island, but I did. Please consider for a minute that as a young man I was a thoroughly fucked up unit and have matured somewhat since then....

After sitting in my Airlie Beach house with my 12 lunatic flatmates for 6 months drinking Blue-meanie soup for breakfast, bongs for lunch and rum and acid for dinner it was time for a change. The fleas had by now taken over the lounge room, and we had turned the long hallway into a golf driving range in the wet season due to boredom. (and drugs.) The major indicator that it was time to seek gainful employment was when I was watching the dutch chef (one of the ratbags I lived with) cleaning his toes by shoving them into his GF's twat as she reclined on the kitchen counter. He was sitting chatting to me on a bench drinking shroom-coffee, using his GF's pussy juice to soften his nails and callouses. And what worried me is that it didn't worry me.... Time to move on.

Anyhow I got offered a job on anther island, this time Hayman Island which at the time was 4 star planning on evolving to 5 star. As it was owned by Ansett at the time (aussie airline) it was a union shop with overtime and perks. Grinning!

I was employed as a kitchenhand, but worse than just a kitchenhand, an underwater pannel-beater: scrubbing massive 20-30L pots and baking dishes for the 22 chefs in the resort kitchen. I would start at 0700 in the morning, tie on a heavy rubber apron and present to a deep water tub with a steam ring to heat the water to near boliing. My job for 8 hours a day (plus OT) was to dislodge the burnt on rice, eggs, and other immovable objects from these massive pans. The constant grease impregnated steam and water dripping into my shoes meant I turned into suet by the end of a shift, dead-food and stink foot suet.

The upside??? the money was good and the hours: 0700-1300, then off until 1900-2200. And I was allowed full access to boats, beaches tennis courts etc.

The downside? Most of the other men on the island were boat drivers, beach boys, gardeners and out-doorsy types. I was a walking cocktail of stink foot and garbage stench that lingered. I NEVER got laid in 6 months on Hayman.

Still it was a great life. Except for my boss. An Austrian head Chef by the name of Ottmar Sheer. The most vicious arrogant prick I have ever met.

"YOU are scummmmm. You and all yourrrrr Aussiieeeeee friends are scummmmmmm" he told me one day. Fair enough. We were too, but thats us. We dont like outsiders telling us. besides which i could change a cluch in a car and cook an omlette. he could only cook.

After about 5 months I was finally given a room mate. (The others refused after one day with me due to the constant stench of rotting food/feet.)
                              Into my life walked Alvin. he was the new handyman/carpenter and was
                              sharing a room with me on Poverty Row. Imagine a smile like Will Smith and eyes like Marty Feldman. He was wearing a green bonds t-shirt and stubbie shorts. He also told me he had no sense of smell. He gave me a wink, and asked, "do you bong?" When I told him I did, he opened his old brown suitcase. There was:

3 x green t shirts
                              3 x black stubbie shorts
                              3 x pairs of socks
                              10 x kilos of home grown sinsemillia. Woo hoo!(Alvins own from his farm. Excellent!)

Welcome aboard Alvin!

From that point on it was bongs before breakfast. Alvin used to wheel me to work. he would then turn up around 10am with his trusty toolbox containing a dry bong. I could have washed pots all day and night, being in the perfect mindset for dreamy contemplation with busy hands.

Until Alvin and I started having parties after work in poverty row.

Obviously Alvin and I became the focus of every young guy who was a doper and also couldn't get laid. They all dropped past our pad after hours for cones. And we all got hungry. As I was one of the last to leave the kitchen at night I used to be charged with locking the chiller rooms. These were packed with cheeses, grapes, fruit etc. All very good quality, all perfect munchie foods. They also contained Ottmar Sheer's Margarine carvings....

Every night Ottmar would carve a scupture out of a massive block of Margerine and then wheel it out to the oohs and aahs of the Loopies (tourists) for breakfast.

Anyhow one night Ottmar who had noticed my steady deterioration as underwater pannel beater due to an all-night lifestyle gave me an absolute bollocking in front of the entire Island Staff.

Very fucking not happy.

After work that night I got stoned as usual. Then hungry. Grabbing Alvin we went for food at our favorite take away: the fridges and freezers. We happened to see Ottmars latest carving under a damp sheet in one of the chillers: a fat chinese Buddha sitting cross legged. Still smarting from the bollocking collected earlier, I asked Alvin to stand watch. I then carved a margarine block into a massive phallus which I put between the legs of the Bhudda. Then replaced the sheet, went back home with Alvin and oblivion.

Next morning as usual I presented to the dirty pots having completely forgotten the Buddha. Until  I saw Ottmar wheeling it out to the resturuant.

Oh Christ. My heart went from 60 to 180 beats in a second: I knew he was a showman and used to love to sweep off the sheet theatrically. Time to exit.....

I heard the uproar and comotion while on my way to Dolphin Bay. Alvin told me the rest. Apparently he has pulled the sheet off and standing behind the Bhudda, could not see my additional handiwork. But the wait staff could. And the patrons could. And while Ottmar was waxing poetic about his incredibly skills as a carver, the audience were starting to split their sides laughing.

Austrian Head Chefs dont like ridicule. He chased me all over the fucking island all fucking day. He would have killed me if he caught me. Needless to say I was sacked. Needless to also say I was something of a legend amongst everyone who had been on the wrong end of Ottmars vitriol, and even a few that hadn't. So i was NBO'd. Again.

However it was easy to say, harder to do in those days. There were only 2 boats a day at this time. (1982?) So if I dissapeared before the first boat, I could to an extent reappear until just before the last boat left dissapear and reappear afterward. Sleeping in who evers room i could I had a two week holiday fed by the staff on a 4 star resort hearing daily that Ottmar was quitting unless I was thrown off the island. Eventually the big boss found me  and told me if I wanted my final pay I would be wise to leave.... so I did.

Incidently Ottmar bought and was restoring a inboard petrol boat on the island. He either forgot to install bilge blowers or didn't know that you need them to remove petrol fumes from the boat when starting, and nearly blew himself into several little angry Chef bits. This happened some time after I left. Nothing to do with me however.
                              f0xxee

Comment

Working...
                              X