X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbus vs Boeing

Generally I like Boeing's planes over Airbus because they are more reliable technically than Airbus although you clearly take the chance of pilot error in both but planes like the 777 have been much safer over a longer period of time, compared to the A330/340.

What do you think personally? When we take pilot error out of consideration, with the recent Airbus problems with the A380.. and other planes like Air France disaster and the African something.. do you still feel Airbus are in same potential class as Boeing?

Please comment.

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

I was always a fan of the 737 Boeing's little work horse. Also the 747. However my all time favorite is the 777. What a terrific aircraft. I disliked the 767 and never felt save in one.

The Airbus 380 makes me nervous but I like the 330 and 340.

Comment

Just curious, if you didn't know which aircraft you were in, would you know?

I really don't take notice of the aircraft other than the way the airline has configured it.

Can you tell how old an aircraft is, other than knowing if a certain plane was first used in say 1990, it couldn't be older than the girls we are travelling to meet?

As far as saftey, the African airlines tend to have very poor saftey records, maybe old planes, maybe not enough attention to maintenance.

Comment

1) 2 engines are ok,provided they are under each wing
        2) if its not Boeing I'm not going
        no more life without ladyboys

Comment

(PigDogg @ Nov. 26 2010,15:06) Just curious, if you didn't know which aircraft you were in, would you know?
          The safety cards (the ones tucked in the seat back with exits etc.) are specific to each aircraft type and the name/model is at the top of the card.

The age of an aircraft is not that important safety wise  -  the standard of inspection and maintenance is generally a bigger factor.

The bits that wear out are the engines, brakes, tyres (tires) and the parts that actuate the flying surfaces.
          They are usually simple enough to replace but obviously cost money.

Otherwise it's down to proper inspections finding things like leaks etc.
          The importance of un-noticed leaks comes to mind in connection with a certain nearly new Qantas A380.

Garuda (Indonesian) Airlines used to have the worst safety record  -  it was so bad they were banned from fling into Europe.
          Not sure who is top of the pops now but I certainly would not be surprised if it was an African based operation.

RR.
          Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
          Kahuna

Comment

(lblavr @ Nov. 26 2010,17:01) 2) if its not Boeing I'm not going
            One of the poorest safety records of recent (not new) aircraft is the Boeing 737.

Early on several of them disappeared in big pufs of smoke.  Eventually Boeing discovered that sticking electrical connections to a pump in a fuel tank was not such a good idea.
            When they sent out the maintenance bulletin and started getting feedback they discovered an astonishing number of near misses and home made bodges had been done.
            The reason the 737 does not get mentioned is there were so many built and they flew/fly so many miles their overall record is good.

One of the safest aircraft is the DC10/MD11  -  yes you read that right.
            After the initial crashes through the cargo door locks there have been no more losses in flying accidents.
            They are more reliable than Boeings but their overall operating costs are slightly higher.

The 747 also has a very good record  -  although the first ones had the same fuel tank arrangments as the 737 they suffered no losses through that cause.
            Practically every one lost has been down to outside factors eg. bombs, pilot or air traffic control errors.

RR.
            Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

Kahuna

Comment

Hey the Airbus 380 make the biggest "Bum"...... or  

Dieter
              Ladyboy Pro....A Bigger Bang

Comment

(Road Runner @ Nov. 26 2010,12:07) Not sure who is top of the pops now but I certainly would not be surprised if it was an African based operation.
                Philippine Airlines, Cebu Air and a few others are currently banned from flying into Europe too.

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

For the really paranoid amongst you I found a rather interesting page about airline accident statistics.

The column to compare is the one described as Rate  -  it roughly equates to the percentage of losses.
                  Although American Airlines looks bad at 13 major losses their rate is below average at 0.40 because they fly so many passenger miles.
                  On the other hand Air Zimbabwe only had two major incidents but their rate is 11.54  -  even then they are easily beaten by Cubana and probably would be by the Russians also.

US/Canada
                  Europe
                  Africa and the Middle East
                  Asia and Australasia
                  Latin America and the Caribbean

There is also a page called  Fatal Plane Crashes and Other Accidents by Airliner Model

Happy flying.      

RR.

Kahuna

Comment

nice one Jake.
                    my flight to Thailand is on a airbus 330 delta air.

i hope it is safe don't care on the trip back. lol

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
                    General George Patton Jr

Comment

My is with a 380....   hope with the new Rolce Royce engine...      

Dieter
                      Ladyboy Pro....A Bigger Bang

Comment

AB, it ain't the Airbus 330 you need to worry about. It's fucking DELTA!!!

Comment

(Steff @ Nov. 26 2010,19:48) AB, it ain't the Airbus 330 you need to worry about. It's fucking DELTA!!!
                          I have no idea what Delta are like as an airline but they have a very good safety record.

RR.

Kahuna

Comment

Having previously lived and worked in Seattle, I came to appreciate how much their economy relies on the Boeing, even after all the efforts to move their corporate HQ to Chicago, move production to cheaper child-labor states down south, etc., so I've always been partial to Boeing jets.

I won't even pretend to be concerned about safety. It's about jobs and the US economy for me.
                            Making newbie mistakes since 2009 so you don't have to

Comment

I do like the A380
                              especially when i get a seat like this, nice to stretch your legs and even stand at the bar while in flight

SW„¢
                              Attached Files
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/CT8982

Comment

Working...
                              X