X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Live Band Ever Is...

I see the reformed Thin Lizzy at the Hammersmith Apollo on Saturday. A full house and not one empty seat.

What a fucking blast , i came out stone deaf and my ears are still whistling and even though Phil Lynott wasnt there the new Singer , another Irishman, filled his boots pretty well. Scott Gorham basically is the leader now and they grafted Mendoza from Whitesnake on Bass on to the new line up. Wharton and Downey are still there. The SIngers name is Ricky i think.

Seen them at least 14 times now since 1975 but this was special . Although some of Lizzys songs are sort of soft rock ballads most were given a slight heavy rock treatment , even Whisky in the Jar.( put it this way it was so loud i could not hear the Acoustic Guitar enen though the singer was playing it). I think they would be labelled a heavy rock band now and i prefered most of their heavy stuff anyway.

I seen a lot of bands live but these are the best , even many years on

Wore out their Live album back in the 70's.. wouldn't feel the same without Phil, but would have loved to have been there just the same

Seen Van a few times, but it's hit and miss. Last time at The Point he had that young Irish fella fill in for him on a couple... At least you could go round the back and have a pint

Did you ever see Sabbath TC ? That'd make your ears ring
    Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage

Comment

(Tomcat @ Jan. 25 2011,15:21) i came out stone deaf and my ears are still whistling and...
      Sounds like just the kind of concert I dread!

Best live?

Biggest spectacle - Pink Floyd
      Most true to the vinyl - Supertramp
      Coolest - Alice Cooper
      Most fun - Madness

Most disappointing - Santana
      SHEMALE.CENTER
      World's Greatest Tgirl Cam Site.

Comment

Seen AC/DC in concert a few times...  never disappointed... They ROCK live!!!    

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

AC DC will always be up there im sure as live act.

As for Thin Lizzy i always wait for the drum solo before going to the bar / Toilet. Strange that they still serve beer in these venues as i thought that was long gone.

We were down graded with the tickets and ended up right up the back so we walked down the front and stood up at the side although the bouncer wasnt to happy. I said to him " what about the three dudes standing up next to you. hes said they have AAA VIP pass. . Bollocks do they ( his mates obviously).

also
          I thought they had to turn the noise down now due to health and safety. Fuck me if you have sensitive ears dont see this group, it was the loudest concert ive attended. Mind you Status Quo were lound in there day. never seen Sabbath though Guy

Loud is best.. you know youve been there , even though its probably caused permanent damage to my ear canal ..never mind

Comment

#1 Acca Dacca
            #2 INXS
            #3 Cold Chisel

Worst ever: Phil Collins. Walked out after about an hour. Next day was at the airport flying out and so was Phil.
            In those days there was no VIP santuary for check in. I yelled out "Phil Phil!" He must have thought I wanted and autograph on my ticket and was most dissapointed when i told him his concert sucked.
            f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

Never seen AC/DC live, but yeah I reckon they deliver Roger Waters was a big one I missed

I think many Bands can depend on the night. I had free front row seats for years, so saw every band that passed through town. Few that were memorable. More likely for me to think of Bands I wish I'd seen on a good night

Saw Skyhooks in Torquay circa 75 Fox.. wish I'd seen Chisel though

Maybe we'll get Ozzy and the boys back for a TC benefit at the Albert Hall

Comment

1; Rolling Stones
                2: AC/DC
                3: Led Zep

Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

What era Stones and Led Zep Dave ?

Comment

(guydesavoy @ Jan. 25 2011,13:24) What era Stones and Led Zep Dave ?
                    The Stones were even before my time and they are still going    

Keith Richards is God to me  
                    Attached Files
                    Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                    Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

Seen Zep twice.. once once in 1975 and then he Page and Plant Tour around 2004

Also a great live band i agree. Mind you Bonhams drum solo was around 20 minutes long ...zzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Motorhead is my next target to see live

Comment

I have not seen all that many live however, a clear standout for me was The Who at the old Wembley Stadium in the mid 80's.

Peter Frampton also get's a mention.

Comment

Probably my favorite live shows that I've seen are The English Beat at small brew pub in Dana Point back in the mid-90s. They did a series of shows there for about a week in a row. I saw them three times, and they just blew everyone away.

Also, Sunny Ade has put on some of the best shows I've ever seen. He's got a huge band, and besides the usual drums, bass, guitar, keyboard and assorted back-up singers he's got like four dudes playing talking drums. Those crystalline melodies, dead on harmonies, and the layered polyrhythms of the drums are just amazing.
                            "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
                            Salin' on a summer breeze
                            And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
                            -Harry Nilsson

Comment

(guydesavoy @ Jan. 25 2011,18:37) Saw Skyhooks in Torquay circa 75 Fox.. wish I'd seen Chisel though  
                              Hi GDS,

I went through a run of "Last Stand" Concerts....

Skyhooks did a last stand at Cooroy on the Sunshine Coast, along with Midnight Oil, Angels, Church etc. All I remember is:
                              Smuggling 2 x Bottles of Smirnoff and Roses Lime into the concert in a Coolite water container, and, my GF and I getting so pissed on it in the mud and slush that she passed out in the mire, and I sat on her to "protect her". Breakfast was cornflakes and Bailey's Irish Cream.

I went to Cold Chisels last stand too,at the Sydney Entertainment Centre. Free tickets were courtesy of a hippy mate who I drove a hand painted silver HR pannel van with Eureka Stockade flags on side and bonnet to Sydney for, the van being stuffed to the gunnels with Mullimbimby's finest product. Thoroughly paranoid the whole journey, but man what a concert!

Ah, yooth!
                              f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

Working...
                              X