X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies of 2011...

When is a movie silly but sublime, idiotic but sophisticated, childish & naive but clever & ironic? When it is the best cartoon ever made - the absolutely wonderful Rango. This film has cult written all over it. There will be Son of Rango, Rango Pulls It Off, Rango Comes Again & on & on. It is only the first chapter in what will be an enduring franchise if they can maintain the standard of the first one.

But that is a big 'if' given that the producers threw everything at this one. But with the chance to establish a franchise as big as Star Wars, there is plenty of motivation for them to try.

Rango somehow stays completely original while ripping off half the Westerns ever made & a few other great movies. The story is basically the same as Chinatown with a nod to all the classic westerns. I know some of the references went over my head but it didn't matter, it is just so well done.

I have seen some negative reviews for the movie but I can only pity the reviewer for having such a sad outlook on life. I suppose it is not everyone's cup of tea, after all, there are people who find Loony Tunes to be beneath them. Poor bastards, they don't know what they are missing.
    Attached Files
    Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

As soon as ThePirateBay have a decent copy to download I'll watch it.

In the mean time 'The King's Speech' has been the only worthwhile film of the year thus far.
    SHEMALE.CENTER
    World's Greatest Tgirl Cam Site.

Comment

I know its not 2011... BUT i downloaded Inside Job ... great documentary on the GFC and recent history in the banking sector - a MUST watch film.

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

Yeah, I got baked and went and saw Rango. I loved it!
        I'm sure I probably missed a few references too, but whatever, I got most of them. The obvious ones were, Apocalypse Now, The Big Lebowski, the Wizard of Oz, Chinatown, High Noon, all the Sergio Leone, Clint Eastwood westerns, Blazing Saddles. etc.
        I would totally see it again.
        "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
        Salin' on a summer breeze
        And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
        -Harry Nilsson

Comment

If this was a poll I'd tick the box which said

'Seen NONE of the new movies this year'

Comment

Why would that even be a poll option?      

Torurot, given your very dry take on things ethereal, I am curious as to your opinion on Rango.

Go & watch it & pass on your thoughts. It is one of those films worth seeing (IMO). And go to the cinema for the full effect. It will be much better.

Comment

I'll go along with "The King's Speech" although I thought Jeffrey Rush acted the pants off Colin Whats-His-Face who is taking over from Hugh Grant as the upper class twit stereo type.
              f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

I thought Geoffrey had the Best Supporting Actor prize in the bag until I saw The Fighter. Christian Bale was brilliant & I knew he was the one to beat.

As for Colin Firth, he's a real actor compared to Hugh IMO. Both English, both good looking but a world apart in their onscreen persona.

Imagine Hugh trying to play the part of George VI? I just can't take him seriously, he'll always be a toffee nosed fop to me. Very good at it certainly but it is a stretch to see him doing much else.

Comment

I tend to agree Paccie, and in hindsight comparing Colin Firth to Hugh G was a little unfair. I loved how Hugh Grant claimed he hated making movies and really was only in it for the money and was planning to retire.... right about the time we all realised HG the actor was a thinly veiled parody of HG the twit, and roles for him dried up...
                  Sort of like Roger Moore but with out the charming ability to take the piss out of himself as RM had the good grace to do.
                  f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

Working...
                  X