X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on my bizarre romantic dilemma

I'm in probably the strangest personal situation I've ever been in (bearing in mind I'm probably one of the most vanilla and boring LB mongers in the history of mongering - so this probably isn't that weird as most of the problems posted on this board go!) - will explain my situation, any and all thoughts welcome.

About a week before Xmas, I arranged to have dinner with a good mate of mine who is Korean-American (let's call him Jim). His girlfriend (Sally) came along, and she brought a friend of her's (Gina) who was in town from Seoul for a couple of days on vacation. Initially I just thought Gina was kind of cute, but over the course of the evening she really started to grow on me and by the end of the night, I had the full-blown hots for her.

Jim is totally fluent in English whereas his GF Sally is about 60% fluent and her friend Gina is only about 30% fluent. Gina was using a Korean to English phrasebook to communicate with me, which I found kind of charming. Jim also had to do a lot of translating for both of the girls.

At some point during the night, Gina went outside to take a call and I told Jim that I thought she was very cute. Jim told Sally and they had a quick chat in Korean, which I do not speak. All Jim would tell me was that Sally said Gina liked me as well.

We finished up at the restaurant and as Jim is an early riser, after dinner drinks were not going to happen. I was trying to figure out how to make a move on Gina, bearing in mind that she doesn't speak great English, but despite desperately running through some strategies in my head, couldn't figure out a way to do it that wouldn't lead to incomprehension and total embarassment. However, I was saved as Gina asked Jim to ask me in English if the 4 of us could have dinner again before she went back to Seoul. Of course I agreed.

When I got home, before turning in for the night, I texted Jim and basically told him that I was seriously into Gina.

Jim called me the next day after work to say that Gina was married with 2 kids. I asked him why the hell she would indicate interest in me if this was the case, and he said that she was separated from her husband and was seriously thinking of getting a divorce. I got the impression that Jim barely knew Gina (whereas she is very close to his girlfriend Sally) and was actually kind of pissed off to have been told all of this stuff as he seemed to feel like his girlfriend was trying to set me up with a real lemon.

The 4 of us had dinner again later that week, and Gina was a little more stand-offish but still seemed kind of interested. She didn't have her phrasebook with her and communication was a little more difficult. I did manage to convince the 3 of them to have a drink with me after dinner, and used the opportunity to lead into a conversation about how I visit Seoul pretty regularly on business. I had no trips planned as such but told Gina that I would like to see her next time I was in town, which would be before the end of March. She said we could have dinner again in Seoul.

I tried to get Gina's number and/or email address but couldn't get through - either she wasn't willing to go that far (which I know isn't far at all, but with the husband in the picture who knows what was going through her mind) or alternatively she just plain didn't understand.

Without going into every detail, I strongly got the feeling that Jim thought this was a really bad idea, whereas his girlfriend Sally still seemed to be trying to set me and Gina up.

We parted on good terms and I reiterated again that I would see Gina in Seoul.

That was a couple of weeks ago and I have not been able to get Gina out of my mind since.

I confronted Jim today and told him that I wanted his help to see Gina again in Seoul. Jim flat out refused to put me in touch - his explanation was that for Korean cultural reasons, which I don't understand, there is a very strong chance in his view that Gina will ultimately get back together with her husband, and he was just trying to spare me from wasting my time chasing an impossible dream. He also pointed out that we could barely communicate without his help as an interpreter, so how the hell could we communicate without an interpreter.

I was completely frustrated but Jim, who is genuinely a good friend of mine, insisted it was for my own benefit that I just forget Gina and move onto easier targets. One thing is that when he first told me about the husband, as he put it, she was likely going to get a divorce. When I spoke to him today, that story changed to "she's going through a rough patch". Jim is a really honest guy and I don't think he was trying to change the spin (maybe I'm naive but whatever) - sounds like she and her husband have a bit of a volatile relationship and things are better now, even if only slightly, compared to when I met her a couple of weeks ago.

To be honest, I can't really argue with Jim's logic. One thing that has been going through my mind is that I don't want to do anything to hurt Gina or put pressure on her to leave her husband if that's not what she really wants - however, as Jim pointed out, how the hell do I have a conversation like that when we don't speak a common language???

Just wondering whether anyone has any thoughts on where to go from here. All I can come up with at the moment is to keep tabs on Gina through Jim and to try and get an update from him every couple of weeks - if she really does dump the husband for good, maybe I can convince Jim to help me capitalise on the opportunity.

Happy to hear any better ideas though as this is killing me!

Sorry to say but I'm with your mate, Jim.

It sounds to me that he sees the situation more clearly than you do and is saving you a lot of wasted heart ache and loving-time.

This Korean gal is a pretty wife on the loose without her kids and away from her husband.

She'll flirt a little and you may even have blown a chance to bang her. I'm pretty sure that's as serious as she was ever going to get.

Once she know's you're hooked she'll lose interest pretty quickly now that she has proved to herself she is still desirable.

Back in Korea she'll be the miserable wife with two kids and an ass-hole of a husband... who she probably still loves.

Jim's girlfriend sounds a bit irresponsible - like she's getting a kick out of the whole idea. She should be back watching day-time TV, where she belongs.

Go somewhere and get laid with a pretty ladyboy who hasn't got two kids and doesn't care if you snore at night!

Just my impression...
    The Ladyboy Quest... It just goes on and on and on!

Comment

Z, you're middlin your friend, (using him), walk away, you had a nice night

or two, put it n the memory bank and move on.
      Life is short. Live it well.

Comment

TripleZ, I think you're letting the small head doing the thinking on this case!

You're in lust with her and not letting go of it. You've already acknowledged the problems, but feel you want to go ahead with it anyway.

Something you should know is that Koreans are extremely xenophobic in terms of serious relationships. They will rarely marry outside their ethnicity.

I think LBQ has a good analysis on her. It is true Korean men often are abusive to their wives, so she is probably just looking to stir things up and prove to herself she is still attractive to other men. Her friend is also trying to help this along.

Your friend on the other hand doesn't think you should get involved - and seriously, would you be chasing after a married woman under normal circumstances? Asking for a ton of trouble, especially if her husband found out.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
        Membership Levels
        The Rookie Thread
        New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
        Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Thanks for the advice, gents, none of which I can argue with.

LBQ, I think you put it all pretty accurately and I suspect that's all exactly what Jim is thinking but doesn't want to say because we're mates.

rxpharm - spot on as well. Ironically in early Dec a female friend of mine (HK Chinese, not Korean, and at least I understand HK culture much better) who is going through her own protracted split with her hubby was telling me that a guy is trying to get her on the rebound but she can't choose between the bastard husband who cheated on her twice or the new "boyfriend". I was thinking what a sap this guy was to be waiting on her - but now I'm almost jumping over hurdles to put myself in the same position!

Not going to bullshit you - although intellectually I can't argue with any of this, emotionally it's going to take me a while to move on I think. Good news is that both me and Jim are heading out of HK for Chinese New Year and he clearly doesn't want to talk to me (at least about all of this crap) any time between now and when we both get back in a couple of weeks. Realistically, I'll likely have another crack at him in Feb, he'll tell me again to leave it and that will be the end of that.

I was wanting to keep myself "pure" for this girl Gina but maybe the healing has already started as I think I'll head to BKK for a couple of days R&R in Feb (can't get away before CNY unfortunately) - I have been wanting to have a crack at either Gip or Cherry from Guess Bar, who weren't around when I was there last Feb, or maybe head to Cascade/Obsessions neither of which I've been to for about 3 years now. Should help me get all of this out of my system!

One thing that will probably not surprise you - I have told a couple of "real-life" friends about this and there was a very clear gender split in that every female told me to go for it whereas every male bar one told me to leave it! No wonder the chicks spend all their money on rom coms and crappy romance novels.

Comment

Oh bugger... I see ZZZ has just responded & has come to his senses.... No point in letting this post go to waste though it is now very much after the event.

I suspect Jim knows more than he is letting on. And if he is your friend & he really thought you & Gina had a hope, why wouldn't he give you the green light?

IMO he is being a true friend & saving you from yourself.

ZZZ, accept that you had a couple of nice nights, you flirted with an attractive married woman but don't ignore the warnings you have been given.

In my limited experience, Korean women can be very flirtatious & they will often initiate encounters. But that doesn't mean they are falling in love, quite the opposite in fact.

Without being there & without knowing you, I think you have read more into what happened than was intended. I am sure Gina is loving the idea that she is so hot she has hooked herself a foreigner.

Aided & abetted by Sally, she is living out her married woman fantasies knowing it stops once she flies home.

Following her to Korea can result in two things - the first is she flips you off, the second is her husband could show up with something other than love in mind. You've been to Korea, have you forgotten how aggressive they are?
            Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

80% of Koreans admit to cheating on their spouses (the other 20% don't admit it).

You totally could have gotten laid, dude. But that's about it...

Comment

(rxpharm @ Jan. 10 2012,07:31) Koreans are extremely xenophobic in terms of serious relationships. They will rarely marry outside their ethnicity.
                recently the Economist publkshed a report as follows( pracy)

The trend is for Girls to stay single in some SE Asia countries

The S Korean Govt had recently cause to ban mail order wives from Issan as around 30% of South Korean men were importing brides from poor villages in Thailand and other poorer countries. The same is for Taiwan which also has banned mail order wives. Maybe the ban is some kind of new VISA but its tough now to get a gal in

Anyway the figures are astounding

The trend is in Japan Taiwan and South Korea for girls to stay single and not get married period which is why the brides are/were being imported in droves and causing bride shortage in some Thai villages

China is still consertive and this trend has not taken off yet ( but it will)

( this is from memory so  allow for errors)

Comment

I think the problem I'm having in terms of just closing the file on this one is that if I heard it direct from the girl herself, or even from my mate's girlfriend, I could just walk away knowing that there's no real interest on her side....in which case I'd be banging my head against a brick wall, which I learnt long ago is just plain dumb.

Because I'm hearing it from my mate, even though I can acknowledge rationally that he's got a much better handle on things than I do, there's that stupid part of me (probably somewhere between my waist and my knees) thinking that if I walk away now, I'm never going to get any closure on this.

Ah, fuck it, it's not going to happen.

Just to give you guys some cultural colour on Korea, I was told the following info years ago by some of the more Westernised Koreans in the Seoul office of the company I work for - I think this was giving me false hope.

If you've ever worked in Seoul, particularly in a white collar job like finance, insurance, accounting etc you might have noticed that around about 6 or 6.30pm, the Koreans all troop out of the office to either get pissed together, get dinner together, or some combination thereof. The more diligent Koreans head back to their offices after dinner and only one or two sojus, and continue "working" - this seems to consist of hanging around the office, chatting to mates. (The more hardcore Koreans just keep on drinking.) Then they start drifting off home from about 9pm onwards - the real stalwarts can still be in the office "working" (ie chatting, sleeping off the sojus etc) until midnight - the real pissheads sleep under their desks or find a meeting room to sleep in. The guys who actually made it home wander back in the next morning nursing massive hangovers - rinse, repeat...

My Korean informants explained to me that these weird work practices were a holdover from a period when most Korean marriages were arranged by the parents. Since a lot of older generation Koreans didn't actually like their wives/husbands, they got through life having as little interaction as possible. In the case of men (bearing in mind that until relatively recently, like the 1980s, women either didn't work or stopped work once they got married) this involved hanging around in the office as long as possible in the hope that by the time they got home, the missus was already asleep.

(There's also all the crap that goes on in the "room salons", which translates as P4P fun basically.)

More modern generations aren't as bad, in that most (although not all, apparently) young people marry for love now as opposed to having a spouse imposed on them, but the work practices remain in place - if you are really into your wife and want to get home to see her, you try to duck out of drinks/dinner once or twice a week, and on the nights when your boss makes you go out, you leave early at say 9pm.

Long story short, I guess I was deluding myself into hoping that "Gina" was one of the minority of early 30s women who had been stuck with a husband that she didn't actually like that much.

Anyway, fuck it....

Comment

(L B Q @ Jan. 09 2012,14:30) This Korean gal is a pretty wife on the loose without her kids and away from her husband.

She'll flirt a little and you may even have blown a chance to bang her. I'm pretty sure that's as serious as she was ever going to get.
                    This is good advice to remember when your mate's girlfriend has another friend over for a visit. Note to self ... make it easy on me and her and bang her while she's here!

Comment

Jim may be jealous.

Also many western men either think they are attracive to all the Ladies or at the other end cant read the signals that the girl has the hots for them and miss out completely. Sometimes you see real ugly fuckers with attractive ladies purely coz they are playing the numbers game and some myopic beauty stumbles into their clutches

Your only dead once Tz . Give it one more try ... just in case your buddy Jim is a green eyed monster

Good luck

Comment

I agree with TC following this thread it looks like he is green. Best mates or so we see it; when women are concerned are not so best mates. Listen his missis about whom he may not be so happy has nattered to her chum fronted you. No doubt given you good press. He hasnt been paying attention as he has been thinning about other bits of skirt. Then when the situation is upon him all of a sudden. His missis,s mate whom he fancies knocking off on the side is after his mate. Go shag her, don't go soppy over it & tell him how you fucked her up the arse. Better to take it up a level than spending your life pondering. How many times have we kicked ourselves when we have not taken up on an opportunity.

On a slight downside don't also forget either that women come into season for a few days each month. Was it then that she came onto you. Thats a difficult one did she really fancy you or was her body telling her to flirt for a mate that first evening. Give it a punt but doing go chasing it.

Comment

Next time your in Korea - go to the shop with two barber poles spinning out front. Go in, fuck one of the girls and get it out fo your system.

And if you are feeling brave say "hangmuneul halgo ship eo yo" -

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

The Barbers Pole.. a sure sign of extra service in Taipei also

.. short back and sides please Madam and... ahem..the special massage ...yes ill use the upstairs booth , of course  

Comment

(azza33 @ Jan. 11 2012,22:13) Next time your in Korea - go to the shop with two barber poles spinning out front. Go in, fuck one of the girls and get it out fo your system.

And if you are feeling brave say "hangmuneul halgo ship eo yo" -  
                              Nah, I'll stick to the room salons in Itaewon...even though they cost an arm and a leg, I've had some interesting chats with the ladies working there over the years. I know it's totally fake but you don't get anything as up-market over here at my usual stamping grounds of Wanchai...

I keep meaning to head back to Yobo Yobo as well - again, much more expensive than it should be but Korean TSs are hot, hot, hot...

Ahem - how did a thread about true love devolve into a discussion on Korean P4P??

Comment

Working...
                              X