Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you really have an interest in AIG and the "too big to fail" notion i recommend reading this article.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=afDX3.N1Kdgw

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

hot off the press today....

U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission investigators have concluded their probe of possible financial fraud at Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and determined that they will probably not recommend any enforcement action against the firm or its former executives, according to an excerpt of an internal agency memo.The agency has been grappling with the case for more than three years amid questions from lawmakers and investors as to whether Lehman misrepresented its financial health before filing the biggest bankruptcy in U.S. history in September 2008.Under a heading reading €œActivity in Last Four Weeks,€ the undated document reads, €œThe staff has concluded its investigation and determined that charges will likely not be recommended.€SEC officials didn€™t dispute the authenticity of the memo or its contents.Pressure on the agency to punish any wrongdoing related to Lehman€™s collapse escalated after Anton Valukas, the court- appointed bankruptcy examiner, found the firm misled investors with €œaccounting gimmicks€ that disguised the firm€™s  leverage.Senior officials have been reluctant to formally close the matter even though investigators found a lack of evidence of wrongdoing, according to people with direct knowledge of the matter. The officials have weighed issuing a public report on their findings that would stop short of an enforcement action while describing questionable conduct.

"accounting gimmicks" were known as repo 105's. Perfectly legal at the time and used to reduce the level of loans in the balance sheet, thus reducing leverage... but not in actuality....

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

Inside Facebook's IPO: From Darling to Disaster

http://j.mp/K0lFmJ (Reuters / YouTube)

Comment

BB, if I may reflect on your post. I beleive that was Kentucky and I was just surprised they were not all related. Remember in Kentucky " Incest is Best" .
          TEXASMAC

Comment

Working...
          X