• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Series of Poker Main Event Champ

Well done Joe!

Joe Cada Becomes Youngest World Series of Poker Main Event Champ
    by PokerPages.com
    Tue, Nov 10th, 2009 @ 12:00am

History was made early Tuesday morning in Las Vegas as 21-year-old Joe Cada outlasted Darvin Moon in heads-up play to claim the 2009 World Series of Poker Main Event bracelet and more than $8.5 million.

Cada, a poker pro from Macomb, Mich., held onto just the 5th largest stack when the November Nine resumed play on Saturday afternoon in the Rio's Penn and Teller Theater. But as players fell by the wayside, including everyone's pick to win Phil Ivey (7th), Cada hung on long enough to catch a sick wave of cards players can only dream of catching while playing online, let alone the Main Event final table to be re-run on ESPN indefinitely starting Tuesday.

In a nutshell, just after getting five-handed... Treys against jacks preflop for all of it; flop a set. Moon bluffs K9 into your aces. Deuces against queens for all of it; flop a set. Bink a king on the river to bounce Saout and get heads-up.

The sun had been up for hours when Cada and Moon were finally dismissed from the Rio early on Sunday morning. The pair (as well as the media) were given Sunday off to refuel, then returned Monday night at 10 p.m. PT to play for the gold latenight style.

To begin heads-up play, Cada, primarily an online heads-up player, held a 2-1 chip lead over Moon, an unspeakable longshot with the exact same stack he had back in july, 58 million and change. The self-imployed logger from Maryland hadn't been on a commercial airline until being convinced to fly to Vegas and give it a try, rather than cash-in the Main Event seat he won. While most were predicting Cada to come out and hammer Moon, that wasn't the case. Darvin was doing most of the re-raising, and pretty soon the two were back and forth with the chip lead.

Moon actually had "The Kid" on the ropes, check-raising him all in after the turn on a T-9-5-T board. Cada tanked, and after five minutes, called to show J9 for two pair. Moon tabled 87 for and open ender, but would watch Cada double thru after a river brick. That lead would stretch after Cada showed tens and nines for another nice pot. Soon enough, there was an all in and a call.

Cada opened with what seemed to be the standard preflop raise of the night, 3 million. Moon pumped it up to 8 million, only to hear Cada say he's shipping it right over the top. Moon double checks his hole cards, shrugs as if to say "let's give it a shot," calls and turns over QdJd, lucky to be racing against Cada's pocket nines. The board misses both and the nines earn Cada a place in the history book.

Cada won't turn 22 until next week (November 18th), and after Phil Hellmuth's mark of 24-years-old lasted for nearly two decades, Peter Eastgate's reign as 'youngest Main Event winner ever' lasted only 12 months.

November Nine payouts:

1st: Joseph Cada (Macomb, MI, USA) - $8,547,042
    2nd: Darvin Moon (Oakland, MD, USA) - $5,182,928
    3rd: Antoine Saout (Saint Martin des Champs, France) - $3,479,670
    4th: Eric Buchman (Valley Stream, NY, USA) - $2,502,890
    5th: Jeff Shulman (Las Vegas, NV, USA) - $1,953,452
    6th: Steven Begleiter (Chappaqua, NY, USA) - $1,587,160
    7th: Phil Ivey (Las Vegas, NV, USA) - $1,404,014
    8th: Kevin Schaffel (Coral Springs, FL, USA) - $1,300,231
    9th: James Akenhead (London, UK) - $1,263,602

Most in attendence were waiting for a Cada romp, but it just didn't happen that way. "For someone who does not play heads-up, he sure was a tough opponent," said Cada. "... I play heads-up all the time and he is one of the toughest guys I've played."

And Cada claims he won't be pulling a hit-n-run on the poker world, instead saying he'll keep playing "all the big tournaments, and traveling, and continue to play professionally... I hope to help poker grow and represent it well

Treys against jacks preflop for all of it; flop a set. Moon bluffs K9 into your aces. Deuces against queens for all of it; flop a set. Bink a king on the river to bounce Saout and get heads-up...
    Sounds fascinating but I don't understand a fookin' word of it!

Comment

He's from the D!!!!!

About time Detroit won something

It's good to King........no matter what the pay

Courage is being scared to death__and saddling up anyway

Billy Jaffe, Radio Voice of the Thrashers:
      ”I have absolutely No problem with Ohio State. It has a beautiful campus, and for a Junior College it has really great Academics.”

"Gentlemen and ladies, 'Those Who Stay Will Be Champions' is for you too. It's for every Michigan fan that's out there. When the going gets tough, you don't cut and run. It's not the Michigan way. If I heard it once from the old man, I heard it a thousand times -- when the going gets tough you find out who your real friends are, and that's why we must stay. Because there will be championships, and this staff and these kids will bring those championships here."

Comment

Just came back from Detroit. Very sad and depressing city. I cant believe I lived there for 28 years.
        TEXASMAC

Comment

Had it on my DVR for a week now. Didnt see the ending as it ran about 5 minutes long. It seemed as though every underdog hand won. Felt bad for Jeff Schulman who had Cada domintaed, Jacks v 3 s and he lost. Also Darvin was a big dog against Ivey and he comes up with a Queen when it was AK v AQ. Quie incredible.
          Be careful out there!

Comment

To begin heads-up play, Cada, primarily an online heads-up player, held a 2-1 chip lead over Moon, an unspeakable longshot with the exact same stack he had back in july, 58 million and change. The self-imployed logger from Maryland hadn't been on a commercial airline until being convinced to fly to Vegas and give it a try, rather than cash-in the Main Event seat he won
            They log in Maryland? This I find rather surprising.
            “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
            ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

Its so close to West Virginia, innit??
              Be careful out there!

Comment

Mountain folk in Allegany and Garrett counties a world away from the Beltway.

Comment

Working...
                X