Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football Pool

Mostly for Stogie and Smuttley:

First off I'd suggest you make the prizes "based on 100 entries".  Do you really want to dish out all that cash if the same same 30 people compete?

Office pools are one of the few things that I really understand, sad but true.  So 2 potential problem areas are:

1) Were the picks in on time?  Especially when missing one week disqualifies one from the prizes.   If you don't allow a late pick the guy screams.  If you do everyone else gets pissed off especially if there were early touchdowns in a picked game.

2) Picking last is a significant advantage.  This has little to do with late injuries and line changes since picking almost all favorites is the way to go if you're shooting for first instead of last.  Rather it's the boner game and points that gives the last player an advantage.

Let's say we have a boner game where the Patriots are a two touchdown favorite.  Most people will pick the Pats (though if you're the only guy on the underdog you're getting good pot odds to borrow a poker phrase).  

Let's assume there are just 3 people in the pool.  Player A has the Pats 28-14 and Player B 28-13.  So if you're last to pick then you might pick the Pats 28-15 or 28-12 giving you about a 50% chance not 33% in the boner game.

So since picks can be changed the guy squeezed in the middle will change his picks at the last minute.  This will prompt the new guy squeezed in to change till eventually someone's picks are late causing a dispute.

To make matters worse the most problematic bloke in the pool has a history of last minute picks even when there were no prizes and people were picking underdogs for the fuck of it.

In office pools most people who work for the company will be good sports because their work reputations are more important than the prizes.  Problems would arise when outside friends entered pools.  The biggest problems  being in suicide pools when one of the few contestants left gets booted out for not having their picks in on time.

There are no easy solutions but these are two problem areas that are likely to be encountered.  One thing that would help a bit is that if one wants to edit their picks they must quote the original post and make the edits in a new post.  Then you have a time stamp on the picks.

If there ain't more than 15 people taking part there won't bew any cash prizes! It'll be like last year.

I'll send out a mailer this weekend and see how it looks next Wednesday before making any changes...

Cheers, PD... Good post with some helpful stuff for me to think about.

Comment

If anyone is interested in fantasy football some guys from addicts put together this league.  About 6 hours left to join.

The 2008 Gridiron Challenge is up and open to all interested. I'll be posting this thread on most of the Pattaya boards. It's played on the ESPN site and free to play.

For those who haven't played in the past, it's pretty simple. You register with the site, pick a name for yourself and your team, and use a 50 million dollar budget to buy what you think will be a winning team. You can make changes as often as you like till the first weekend of kickoffs. After that you can still make changes but the players values will go up and down based on performance.

Here is the info that would be sent if I was inviting you by email. It gives you the links and code that you'll need to join the Pattaya Expats and Wannabes League

This message is from Shilo's Prowler who is challenging you to play Gridiron Challenge on ESPN.com.

This game challenges you to build a roster of pro football players consisting of 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 Kicker, and 1 Team Defense, while staying under your team's $50m salary cap. Best of all, it's FREE to play.

Get in the action now:
      http://games.espn.go.com/gridiron/group?groupID=1302

Group: Pattaya Expats & Wannabes
      Password: Pattaya

Comment

I thak Smutts and Stogie for putting the competiton on here but I have always had a little problem with the BONER GAME. Yes, you do get a slight advantage if you pick late coz you can see what the other scores picked were. A suggestion (BTW I have no idea how Smutts figures out the Boner winner) would be to pick an outright winnder AND the total points scored.
        Be careful out there!

Comment

The formula for the winner is based on 100 points the you subtract the total amount you missed by from the 100

IE: New England 16-10 over the Jets and you picked NE

23-14 you missed the final score by 11 (7 from NE and 4 from the Jets =11)

100-11=89

If everyone picked the Jets and NE won then the formula would be the same only subtracted from 50

Your idea would be a great idea..............2 FREAKING WEEKS AGO!!!!! But I think it is too late now. But if someone was to create a poll to see which the people would prefer then we could change it. Maybe RT or PD could pu that together???

It's good to King........no matter what the pay

Courage is being scared to death__and saddling up anyway

Billy Jaffe, Radio Voice of the Thrashers:
          ”I have absolutely No problem with Ohio State. It has a beautiful campus, and for a Junior College it has really great Academics.”

"Gentlemen and ladies, 'Those Who Stay Will Be Champions' is for you too. It's for every Michigan fan that's out there. When the going gets tough, you don't cut and run. It's not the Michigan way. If I heard it once from the old man, I heard it a thousand times -- when the going gets tough you find out who your real friends are, and that's why we must stay. Because there will be championships, and this staff and these kids will bring those championships here."

Comment

Maybe next year...

I'm not too comfortable making changes after the start of the competition.

But if there's a poll amongst the players I'll go with the majority.

Comment

No Smutts you might as well keep things as they are. I thoght up the suicide pool only about a week before the season and I only thought about this when I came into the staff room and had a look at what Mr. Pigg said. Thanks for running the Comp and the prizes Stoges.
              Be careful out there!

Comment

(stogie bear @ Aug. 27 2008,19:33) cash prizes!
                cash & Prizes ?

shit man, i was playing for a pair of ;
                Soiled Femboy panties.

I had no clue about the cash & prizes.
                My Femboys can Beat up your Ladyboys.  

Comment

In the Suicide there is a huge advantage to picking last and knowing everyone else's picks.

For example, the two big favorites this are the Giants and Pats.  I don't think anyone picked the Giants yet and just one guy the Pats.

If everyone else picks the Pats I'm on the Giants.  If the Pats lose and the Giants win, I win the pool.   If the Pats win and the Giants lose there's 4 guys left.

But the advantage is deeper than that though.  Let's say both the Pats and Giants win which is the most likely scenario.   Now i can come back and pick the Pats in a later week when no one else is able to pick them.

Just playing for Tshirts and soiled panties here so it's not a big deal but if there were money involved you'd want the picks to be PMed and only posted after everyone picks.  

Actually this week there lot's of pickable teams, Buffalo being one of them.

Comment

Working...
                  X