Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(blonde_havoc @ Nov. 09 2009,01:47) So next year when the Brewers or the Reds or the Rangers win the series, all will be well.  
    Ok Blondie you made some very good points, however if the Reds win another world championship in my lifetime, I'll streak through Ezy Bar at the next party afterward.
    “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
    ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

(Lefty @ Nov. 10 2009,02:09)
      (blonde_havoc @ Nov. 09 2009,01:47) So next year when the Brewers or the Reds or the Rangers win the series, all will be well.  
      Ok Blondie you made some very good points, however if the Reds win another world championship in my lifetime, I'll streak through Ezy Bar at the next party afterward.
      I'd love to see the city of Cincinatti get some love, even if it would be at the expense of my beloved yet hapless Chicago Cubs! I think the fans in Ohio need a national championship that isn't the Buckeyes. It'd be good for the people of that state.

For those not in America, Ohio is basically in a lot of the same positions as Detroit. It's a rusting, dying city that was based largely on industry and has been hit particularly hard in recent times.

Comment

(blonde_havoc @ Nov. 10 2009,04:32) For those not in America, Ohio is basically in a lot of the same positions as Detroit. It's a rusting, dying city that was based largely on industry and has been hit particularly hard in recent times.
        Ohio's industry is largely successful in continuing to manufacture a high output of terminally bland people . . .

Like Canada.

Comment

Is Blondie calling Ohio a city?

btw, I liked Columbus when I was there
          No honey, no money!!

Comment

Say what you want about the Yankees, but personally its good having dynasteies in sports.  They create more interest. I hat the Yanks, and always enjoy seeing them go down when they do.  I hated them in the begginning free agency when they signed players from my favorite teams.

Its always been that much sweeter when they get beat by an underdog like Arizona 2001 or Florida 2003. It was Yankee fan versus the Baseball fan. They can open up the check book every year, but that doesn't garauntee a title. You still have to stay healthy and some chemistry. Anything can happen in a short series especially when the other team has two dominant pitchers.

Salary Caps may create parity, but they also foster medicroity.  The Yankees signing of superstars creates a revenue stream for the small market teams through a luxury tax. Without this tax, teams like the Twins, Nationals, and the Brewers may not exist.

Yankee fans should be happy their owner puts back into his team buy outspending the Redsox, Angels... He could easily just field a tam and still collect huge royalties off of memorabelia, TV and radio contracts. They are a global icon and I love hating them.

Comment

(Boarhog @ Nov. 12 2009,10:56) Salary Caps may create parody, but...
              I copy that!
              If you don't agree with me then you're just plain wrong!  

Comment

(bigmick22 @ Nov. 12 2009,06:17) Is Blondie calling Ohio a city?
                EEP, I did... the edit button is wonderful!  

Edit: And it's not letting me edit that post for some reason...

Comment

(blonde_havoc @ Nov. 11 2009,20:27) Edit: And it's not letting me edit that post for some reason...  
                  BH, there's a time limit for editing posts, might be an hour or a day, not sure.

Pedro sure wishes he could have edited his statement about the Yanks being his daddy.

Comment

(Boarhog @ Nov. 12 2009,10:56) Say what you want about the Yankees, but personally its good having dynasteies in sports.  They create more interest. I hat the Yanks, and always enjoy seeing them go down when they do.  I hated them in the begginning free agency when they signed players from my favorite teams.

Its always been that much sweeter when they get beat by an underdog like Arizona 2001 or Florida 2003. It was Yankee fan versus the Baseball fan. They can open up the check book every year, but that doesn't garauntee a title. You still have to stay healthy and some chemistry. Anything can happen in a short series especially when the other team has two dominant pitchers.

Salary Caps may create parity, but they also foster medicroity.  The Yankees signing of superstars creates a revenue stream for the small market teams through a luxury tax. Without this tax, teams like the Twins, Nationals, and the Brewers may not exist.

Yankee fans should be happy their owner puts back into his team buy outspending the Redsox, Angels... He could easily just field a tam and still collect huge royalties off of memorabelia, TV and radio contracts. They are a global icon and I love hating them.
                    Gotta hand you your due, T-Bone -- well said, all of it (and not just because it's gratifying cuz I'm a World Championship-winning Yanks fan). It's what I wanted to say a few days ago and couldn't put together. The bit about parity especially.

Less parity, more titans battling it out. And when the little guy does win it's worth exponentially more.

Comment

You guys can poo poo the salary cap if it makes you feel better. It fosters mediocrity and all those old catch phrases. These days though, the NFL and NBA have salary caps, neither field a mediocre product and both are more popular than baseball IMO. Why would a salary cap bring about mediocrity in just baseball? Since they have never had one, it's all speculation. IMO, parity keeps fans of more teams interested. When fans think their team has a chance, they support it deeper into the season.
                      “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
                      ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

Working...
                      X