X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wild Cat Offence...

After last nights (this mornings) Monday night game I decided to investigate this seemingly effective formation...

"The Wildcat is an offensive formation that focuses on changes at the skill positions thusly:

The quarterback lines up as a flanker (aka wide receiver), the halfback lines up as the quarterback, and there is a fullback or other tailback in motion from a split out position just before the play begins.

The wildcat is confusing to a defense because so many things can happen as the play unfolds: You can hand the ball to the guy in motion, or that guy can go to the weak side and throw a block. The quarterback (at receiver) himself may throw a block or go out for a pass.

It also very effective due to the blocking matchups. Miami is running it with an unbalanced offensive line (which Cleveland runs alot out of most formations.) That unbalanced line takes the left tackle and plays him on the right side inside of the tight end. This fortifies the other side of the line so as to make the play asymmetrical as the motion begins with the split-wide halfback left to right. (Or the same scenario only right to left and you have two tackles on the left side instead, etc.)

In all, the Wildcat formation is effective because it is impossible for the defense to know who to block until it is too late. The play begins with a man running side to side. Does he get the ball? Is it just a play action? Is it a fake handoff and then a run up the gut by the halfback?

So far, when the wildcat formation has been stopped at the NFL level, it seems the defense got lucky on blocking and took a correct guess at where the ball would go before the play.

An effective defensive countermeasure to the Wildcat formation may exist in the brain of some defensive coordinator somewhere, but it's also possible that NFL teams don't practice it because no one ever runs a play out of a wildcat formation (until now)..."

Personally I love it and it makes the game much more exciting.

So - is it a 'gadget play (as Grudin says) or has it got a place in the NFL?
    I'm feeling rough and it's a combination of air and water...

It is absolutely awesome! With that said its never won a superbowl

It adds a great threat to any offense that can effectively use it.

Benefits: It makes the D prepare for something else.

You have no QB's so a couple players who can cut and break a tackle or hit a hole.

Teams that have the personel (like Miami) it can wear down the best of defenses.

Drawbacks: Its the flavour of the day, year......

Some teams will try to use it that cant

Other teams wont practice it enough and will lead to miscues.

Your taking away the best passing option, so defenses will load up at the line or box and shut down these small quick guys no matter how many misdirections they can run.

Your asking your backs to do something unfamilair and they will get exposed and have more opportunities for success and injury both.

Personally, I love it. Goodbye vanilla offenses! I always wondered why the option play or even the Veer wouldn't work in the NFL. This year we will see. My guess is the best defenses will win out when they adapt to this gimmick.
    Collecting lbs one ass at a time

Comment

(p4player @ Sep. 22 2009,04:46) have more opportunities for success and injury both.

I always wondered why the option play or even the Veer wouldn't work in the NFL.
      I think the key is having a bunch of disposable passers.

Two or three adequate passers and if they hurt who gives a fuck, which is the motto of both the NFL and big time college football.

Draft blue chip players for your D and have a bunch of low draft picks and rethreads as your wildcat O.

As far as the viewer, something different is fun to watch.

Comment

(p4player @ Sep. 22 2009,19:46) It is absolutely awesome! With that said its never won a superbowl
        It's been around for a grand total of one season for Gawds Sake.
        “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
        ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

(Lefty @ Sep. 22 2009,20:14)
          (p4player @ Sep. 22 2009,19:46) It is absolutely awesome! With that said its never won a superbowl
          It's been around for a grand total of one season for Gawds Sake.
          and? Was experimented with last year and now teams have built it up. Miami came real close to winning that except for 2 Manning bombs of 80 yds and 48 yds. While the wildcat ate up a whole quarter earning every yard wearing out the D line of the colts. Mannings quick strikes are not going to happen against good defensive backs that exist in the League. Indy has been exposed to the Wildcat....Just watch the next team who runs it effectively. they will tear up Indy if they have a pass defense.

Comment

And, since you said it's not been run by a SB winner yet, I meant it has just been around one season. Give it time. Some team that uses it as part of their package could win a SB in the future. It is too soon to use that as a reason to temper one's enthusiasm for the WC.
            “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
            ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

We're on the same page brother. I think it will add a lot of excitement to an already great product in the NFL. I think a few wildcat offensive teams will get to the playoffs, but the more rounded teams with good defenses will make it impossible for a wildcat team to win 3 or 4 games in a row at the playoff level.
              Just my opinion.

Comment

Its quite interesting way to go. Its a nice wrinkle but no way it wll be a staple. The NFL is a copycat league. One team sees what another is doing and copies it. As long as it has success, we will see it more and more. It also helps when you have the personnel to run it!! What I think is REALLY the key, is to hvae a guy running it who is an actual threat to THROW the ball. It seems to me if you had that threat, then it can cause lots of mayhem.
                Be careful out there!

Comment

I think it's a good thing to throw out there every now and again.

But as the announcers said on last nights game; "no team has ever won anything using sheer trickery alone''

The Fish use it too much IMO

Pennington sucks, by the way..... he can't hit anything over 15 yards, he's easy to defend.
                  Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Working...
                  X