X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Sheppard RIP

Bob Sheppard. the veteren public address announcer passed away at age 99. An integral part of the Yankee Stadium experience.

€œI know St. Peter will now recruit him. If you€™re lucky enough to go to heaven, you€™ll be greeted by a voice, saying: €˜Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to heaven!€™ €

When Mr. Sheppard fell ill and couldn't come to the ball park regularly, Derek Jeter asked him to record his traditional introduction (as with all batters: "Now batting, number 2, Derek Jeter. Number 2." (there's a poo joke in there somewhere)), and the recording is played every time Jeter comes to the plate. So, young kids can still hear that legendary voice as long as Jeter's still in the game.

He was an integral part of the Yankee Stadium experience. A sad loss...

Comment

Sorry, to me Ernie Harwell was the best. But all the old timers were poets who placed the game of baseball in our dreams.
      TEXASMAC

Comment

To have Ernie and Sheppard both pass away in the same baseball season is extremely sad. I remember my only Yankee game ever ( remember PD?) and he was still announcing part of the game

They should definitely have a couple of moments of silence for them tomorrow at the AS game

It's good to King........no matter what the pay

Courage is being scared to death__and saddling up anyway

Billy Jaffe, Radio Voice of the Thrashers:
        ”I have absolutely No problem with Ohio State. It has a beautiful campus, and for a Junior College it has really great Academics.”

"Gentlemen and ladies, 'Those Who Stay Will Be Champions' is for you too. It's for every Michigan fan that's out there. When the going gets tough, you don't cut and run. It's not the Michigan way. If I heard it once from the old man, I heard it a thousand times -- when the going gets tough you find out who your real friends are, and that's why we must stay. Because there will be championships, and this staff and these kids will bring those championships here."

Comment

Working...
        X