Clear All

• George Steinbrenner RIP

George Steinbrenner, principal owner of the New York Yankees
    since 1973, has died in Tampa, Fla., at the age of 80, the
    team announced. During an often tumultuous reign, he placed
    his stamp on 7 World Series championship teams, 11 pennant
    winners and a sporting world powerhouse valued at perhaps
    $1.6 billion. Mr. Steinbrenner had been in failing health for
    the past several years and had rarely appeared in public.

OMFG.

Truly a sad day the boss is dead.

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

Sad week for the Yankees...as much as I couldn't stand the way he manipulated the league like stonewalling against any salary caps he brought a lot to the table for the betterment of baseball

RIP

It's good to King........no matter what the pay

Courage is being scared to death__and saddling up anyway

Billy Jaffe, Radio Voice of the Thrashers:
      ”I have absolutely No problem with Ohio State. It has a beautiful campus, and for a Junior College it has really great Academics.”

"Gentlemen and ladies, 'Those Who Stay Will Be Champions' is for you too. It's for every Michigan fan that's out there. When the going gets tough, you don't cut and run. It's not the Michigan way. If I heard it once from the old man, I heard it a thousand times -- when the going gets tough you find out who your real friends are, and that's why we must stay. Because there will be championships, and this staff and these kids will bring those championships here."

Comment

Sad day.  George is a good bro.  
        He has always struck me as a man that no matter what he decided to do He (George) would be the best.   Wether digging a ditch or FLipping Hamburgers.
        I think he is a rare breed. A true Worker Bee (Soldier).  This beer is fer you George.  
        My Femboys can Beat up your Ladyboys.  

Comment

He certainly made some big mistakes, but who hasn't.

And he certainly left quite a legacy. I'm really glad he softened up toward the end, and I think a lot of people came around to ol' George.

R.I.P.

Comment

A good investment. His group paid Ten Million dollars for the Yankees and the stadium. He invested $168,000.00. He always wanted to WIN !!I will miss him.
            TEXASMAC

Comment

Yeah the Yanks are now worth and estimated $1.6 BILLION!!! If you are 30 or under, then you remember "The Boss" (Steinbrenner not Springsteen) one way. If you are in your 40's or over you remember him another way. He was bombastic, egotistical, tyrannical on one hand but extremely generous, kind hearted and a visionary.

BTW Smutts I KNOW the player's union will oppose a salary cap much more than any owner!!!!!
              Be careful out there!

Comment

Who remembers him and the Richard Nixon escapade?
                TEXASMAC

Comment

I was always a Joe Torre guy honestly.. and its sad he and George will never reconcile not that they ever should because what his sons did with Torre was an insult.

I guess unlike Yogi and George, this feud will not be burying the hatchet.

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

Jake if it makes you feel any better Torre and The Boss did have a relationship the last two years. I think Torre had more of a beef with Cashman. Torre said he chatted with The Bss every once in a while and he said they chatted on The Boss' Bday-July 4th!
                    Be careful out there!

Comment

I didn't know that.

I did hear that Cashman and Torre were very close at one time and Cashman actually saved Torre's job after 2006 but in 2007 he couldn't but Torre felt Cashman threw him under the bus and came up with the insulting 1 year contract offer which was something he knew Torre would turn down.

I guess I can see a rift and ofcourse Kim Ng the former Cashman adjunctant snatched Torre away.

But in a way things happened the way they did for the best. I always detested the idea of Mattingly as manager. Yes I know he was a good player, but I never saw him as manager material. Girardi is a bit overaggressive and makes you scratch your head sometimes but he's won a ring so he made me shut up but I still prefer Torre's calm demeanor.

Comment

Steinbrenner was a complicated man for sure. But he really revolutionized the way an owner works with a team. The Yankees went from a NY also-ran in the 70s and 80s into a powerhouse in the 90s and 00s. I was listening to Seth Everett's ESPN show and he talked about growing up in NY in the 70s and 80s. Everyone was a Mets fan those days. Times have really changed! Everyone's a goddamned Yankees fan now.

Steinbrenner was also banned from baseball activities from 1990 to 1993 for attempting to dig up dirt on one of his player's charitable organizations. He's not without his warts, but his overall legacy in baseball is positive. It's hard to argue against that.

Comment

(blonde_havoc @ Jul. 16 2010,12:14) Steinbrenner was a complicated man for sure. But he really revolutionized the way an owner works with a team. The Yankees went from a NY also-ran in the 70s and 80s into a powerhouse in the 90s and 00s. I was listening to Seth Everett's ESPN show and he talked about growing up in NY in the 70s and 80s. Everyone was a Mets fan those days. Times have really changed! Everyone's a goddamned Yankees fan now.

Steinbrenner was also banned from baseball activities from 1990 to 1993 for attempting to dig up dirt on one of his player's charitable organizations. He's not without his warts, but his overall legacy in baseball is positive. It's hard to argue against that.
                          The Yankees won back to back world series in '77 and '78. That doesn't sound like also rans to me. They also won AL pennants in '76 and '81.
                          “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
                          ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

Working...
                          X