X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group C Tiebreak Scenarios

World Cup tie breakers are complex, but heading into the final round of games in Group C Wednesday, the math for the USA is relatively straightforward.

World Cup tie breakers: What the USA needs to do to advance After its 2-2 draw with Slovenia Friday, the USA will qualify for the second round of the World Cup with a win over Algeria, and it could also advance with a tie. It will be eliminated with a loss.

Qualification for the second round goes like this:

Two teams advance out of every four-team group. The first and most obvious decider is points (three points for a win, one for a draw).

If two teams are tied on points, the first tiebreaker is goal difference €“ how many goals a team has scored minus how many it has conceded. The thinking is that this is the best measure of which team is better over the three games.
    If that is inconclusive, the second tiebreaker is goals scored. This rewards the team that is more offensive.
    If the teams are still tied on these measures, the next tiebreaker is who won the head-to-head matchup.
    If they€™re still tied, World Cup officials flip a coin, literally.
    Here€™s how that plays out in the US situation.

1. A USA win
    With a win, the USA will finish above Algeria and either England or Slovenia €“ depending on the result of that match. But it can finish no worse than second.

2. A USA draw
    The USA will also advance with a draw if:

Slovenia defeats England.
    England and Slovenia draw €“ so long as England€™s doesn€™t score two-plus goals more than the USA in its draw.
    This takes some explaining. If both the USA and England draw, Slovenia will top the group with five points and the USA and England will be tied with three points. They will have the same goal difference (zero) because they will have drawn all three games.

But the USA has an advantage because it drew 2-2 Friday while England drew 0-0 with Algeria. That means the USA leads 3-1 in the €œgoals scored€ tiebreaker. (The USA and England drew 1-1 in the first group game.)

However, the US will be eliminated with a draw if:

England defeats Slovenia.
    England€™s draw is far more high scoring than the USA€™s. For example, if England draws 3-3 and the USA draws 0-0, England would win the €œgoals scored€ tiebreaker, 4-3.
    If both teams are tied on the €œgoals scored€ tiebreaker €“ England draws 2-2, USA draws 0-2, for example €“ it will come down to a coin flip, since the head-to-head tiebreaker will be indecisive.

3. A USA loss
    The USA will be eliminated with a loss because at least Algeria and Slovenia will finish with more points.

These are the current Group C standings:

Slovenia: 4 points, 3 goals for / 2 goals against (+1 goal difference)
    USA: 2 pts., 3/3 (0)
    England: 2 pts., 1/1 (0)
    Algeria: 1 pt., 1/2 (-1)

Hmmmm you're confusing me with someone who gives a fuck!

Comment

(Grinder @ Jun. 21 2010,01:46) Hmmmm you're confusing me with someone who gives a fuck!  
      I really don^t understand the game too much to be honest Grinder.

But it appears the USA has a good chance to get to the Sweet 16, that^s what we Yanks call the round of 16 in college hoops, not to be confused with the Miss Sunee contestants.

Comment

Australia faces a similar path to get through as well. While no one is holding out a lot of hope, I notice the media here are not writing them off either.

And support for the US's chances is strong too going on a couple of comments in the media & the conversation around the table on the weekend.

That doesn't make for a scientific poll but once again, apathy for the teams who feel entitled to progress combined with the universal support for the underdog means the US has a lot of people rooting for them.

I fully expect at least one of us will get through. C'mon Aussie...
        Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

I hope both the UK team (England) and the US team both win and go through... Let's face it - they are both due a win!

Algeria overachieved against England (as all teams do) and won't play nearly as well against the US.
          SHEMALE.CENTER
          World's Greatest Tgirl Cam Site.

Comment

(PigDogg @ Jun. 21 2010,12:07)
            (Grinder @ Jun. 21 2010,01:46) Hmmmm you're confusing me with someone who gives a fuck!  
            I really don^t understand the game too much to be honest Grinder.

But it appears the USA has a good chance to get to the Sweet 16, that^s what we Yanks call the round of 16 in college hoops, not to be  confused with the Miss Sunee contestants.

Only pulling your chain PG - I personally hope you lot make it through as the enthusiasm from the fans (biggest contingent in RSA to boot) and the quality of the play has been enjoyable. Just as enjoyable as Clint 'Piledriver Dempsey's goal...

Of course, as a Scot I will be cheering on England as they take on the might of Slovenia hoping to do "our boys" proud and prove that '66 was no one off.

Come on lads, I really, really want to have Geoff-and-Bobby-and-Banksy mentioned once again, read about how England are world beaters, prove that this group is 'EASY' and go on to show Johnny Foreigner that it's not all about WW II theme tunes, "come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" bollocks and bleating about how much money the fans have spent (other nations have spent oodles of cash too but they ain't booing anyone off...).

Think of the three pussies and get stuck in. Your country needs you.

PS - How long before the "well at least we qualified" line?

PPS - Honestly, I think England need to win... imagine that fat talentless cunt James Corden's wee face if they go out? Diddums fat boy.

Comment

Its EASY actually, WIN and we are IN!!!! Just win baby!! Algeria HAVE to be respected. This World Cup has shown that no one country has a right to beat anothe just on reputation/pedigree!!! The last games of group C are going to be absolutely gripping. I hope JD will watch and switch between both games!!!
              Be careful out there!

Comment

You know in Group D you could ahve Germany advance at the expense of Serbia because of the dreaded gaol difference even though the Serbs beat the Germans. How fucked up is that. First tie breakers shold ALWAYS be head to head!!!
                Be careful out there!

Comment

Know what you mean Mr Ballz but them's the rules and everyone knows them before they start.

One interesting point about when England play teams like Algeria, you always get some twat like Gerrard saying "That was their World Cup final" as if playing England is the greatest thing in their careers. Oh please.

What's the difference when N Korea go down bravely against Brazil? Nope, that ain't their cup final - that's them showing themselves to be dark horses and a threat to the big boys. Then they get arsed 7-0.

Comment

If USA tie and England tie, and they have the same points. then its settled by a coin toss.

Don't know what happens if the coin settles on its edge.
                    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

A Scotsman nicks it...

Comment

No its not Mr. Snick. We have scored more goals so we go thru. But lets say We tie Algeria 1-1 but England tie Slovenia 6-6, then Engalnd would go thr as they would ahve more goals scored!!! Its only settled by a coin toss of the amount of goals scored and conceded are exactly the same. It could come down to that between Italy/New Zealand. That would be a travesty. They should ahve to settle it on the field somehow i.e. the day after arranged a 60 minute playoff then if no winner it goes to pens.. Make more sense to me.....
                        Be careful out there!

Comment

Thats what I meant, should have said 'goals' not points.
                          "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Sooo..do the Anglos or the Yankees play our Teutonic friends .

The penalty shoot out with the Krauts awaits. Its a dead cert. The Germans dont miss and the stastics are awesome, they just dont miss do they.. holy shit

Maybe they should blindfold them as a handicap. At least them fucking horns seem quiet, or is it my hearing has got used to it.

Maybe ill sue the BBC for ear hornitus..

Comment

Working...
                            X