Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At this point in time, in most countries, I think HIV testing is standard as part of any blood test.

I just had athroscopic knee surgery in Japan, as part of which a blood test is required -- I had to sign-off that I understood and it was ok to test for HIV. Also had similar surgeries in Thai 2 and 4 years ago (yeah, I'm on a string of bad luck), and HIV was a standard part of their tests as well.

Ironically, the Japanese test was just before the holidays. Then I went to LOS. Then came back and had the surgery, but wanted another test and had to make up some bullshit as to why I wanted another test -- and I get the results tomorrow!

Kinda wish I hadn't come across this today -- now I'm all up inside my head...

Comment

(farangbah @ Jan. 25 2009,12:18) -- and I get the results tomorrow!  

Kinda wish I hadn't come across this today -- now I'm all up inside my head...
      Good luck!

Comment

I'm in the clear!

Phew.

Comment

Good news!

Now remember - never go out without your raincoat.

RR.
          Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
          Kahuna

Comment

And if it leaks...

Run, do not walk...

Comment

(farangbah @ Jan. 26 2009,14:32) I'm in the clear!

Phew.
              Well done fella........

I hadn't heard from my doctor so I rang him up and his receptionist said he would have called you if there were any issues with the various tests. Well fuck me if it still ain't playing on my mind. I will make an appointment to see him and ask the inconsiderate sod....and stick my fingers in his eyes

Comment

(farangbah @ Jan. 25 2009,12:18) Also had similar surgeries in Thai 2 and 4 years ago (yeah, I'm on a string of bad luck), and HIV was a standard part of their tests as well.
                This got me thinking, I think RR mentioned one time before Breast Augmentation surgery the hospitals in Thailand require a HIV test.

Well I asked a lb last week who had surgery and she told me not all hospitals require this - like the one who stuck her tits on her....

Comment

i'm no doctor but there's a new policy in the states (i'm in california so i'm only guessing about the rest of this country) where they don't need written consent before testing you for HIV. and here's how i found out:

i test myself for HIV - home-testing kit, $60usd, easy as pie, one prick and done - every 9-12 months, depending... - and i test myself privately because a medical worker buddy told me that god forbid i do test positive, i might want to be careful about having it become a matter of public record beyond my own control -- insurers, employers, et al... so, ok. i test myself. and so far so good. (fwiw, i think every provider and hobbyist should get tested regularly, but nobody asked me, so, back to my story

then this past june, i went in for my annual physical, which included drawing blood for labs to check the usual non-HIV stuff: HDL, LDL, triglycerides, white blood cell, blah blah, whatever the hell it is they check for when you do an annual physical, and when the results get mailed to me i see the line at the bottom saying: "HIV - negative".

what the fuck! i never said they could test me! they never even asked me! what if it had been positive? i just open my mail and there it is, not even knowing it was coming? what the fuck!!!

so i call in and i'm pissed. the nurse says there's a new law in california saying that anytime they give a 'full physical screening' they are *required* to test for HIV. huh?? don't they have to ask me? No. she says the new law says consent is not required. bullshit. the nurse passes me to her supervisor. the supervisor is *immediately* apologetic. she says the first nurse misunderstood my question. she meant to say there was no *written* consent required, but oral consent was required. i said i was never asked, so how could i give consent? long pause.

bottom line, after an extended exchange of non-pleasantries we finally concluded that my doctor fucked up by not asking -- or at least telling me. she read to me the memo that she'd personally sent to everyone on her staff explaining the new rule about no written consent. the first sentence was: "california no longer requires written consent for HIV testing". i told her to stop right there. the first line needed to be "california only requires oral consent" because half her overworked staff never read thru the whole boring memo to discover three paragraphs down that indeed *some* kind of consent was still required. i told her to think for a moment about the suicidal sap who opens his mail to read he's not only been tested without his knowledge, but he's positive. i don't think she was nearly sufficiently upset about her error, but she promised she'd 'adjust' their procedures so this didn't happen again. whatever.

so, not only has HIV testing lost its 'if you've been tested you're a risk' status, but it's apparently now 'required'. although i tend to believe she used 'required' where she should have used 'recommended'.

i haven't been back for my 'annual physical' yet, but i find this whole new m.o. -- if it's true -- more than a little disturbing. anyone else had a similar (or contradictory) experience?

Comment

Waiting for My test results now, should be with Me in a few days.
                    Be lucky,have fun & stay young !

Comment

I'm thinking of getting the test done too (the gf suggested we do the 'blood test' and my last one was a few years back).

Where are some decent places in BKK to get HIV and other STD blood tests done ? I'm near soi 4...I guess the major hospitals, but would most small clinics do ?

I understand results can be same day..

What other tests should I ask for to be thorough and what are the costs ?

Cheers
                      Putting the boy back into ladies

Comment

Was tested positive some ten years ago. So I have to take my daily consumption of Tablets (only 3 for 1 day). I feel fine. Doctor told me the virus quantity is no more measuring. But I'm still HIV +. Doctor told me I can live with that the next 20 to 30 years. Well, at that time I will be 80 to 90 years.

Comment

I got My results back a week or so ago, all clear once again
                          Be lucky,have fun & stay young !

Comment

On the subject of HIV testing, can we switch this to LBs?

Are the bar LBs more likely to be tested ("forced" by the bar owners) versus the freelancers? What about the ones that are neither, the ones with a regular day-time job? What is the "culture" of HIV testing in Thailand?

Stogie feel free to move this post if it's been covered elsewhere.

I am looking for REAL-LIFE examples, not scientific or theoretical evidence...for example, has anyone here ever asked his gf LB to get the test and she said "no way" or avoided it? or better yet she said, "I already got it, here's the result"...is it "acceptable" to ask your Thai gf to get the test?

Comment

You will of course be presenting your recently tested slip to your multiple trip partners.

Comment

Working...
                              X