Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(lostinlos @ Sep. 02 2006,12:19) By the way, is it possible (or even recommended) to just learn the speaking Thai? I am trying to avoid the writing and reading. The characters seem to be pretty diffcult and I rather use the time learning to say more complicated things, than to read the basic phrases.
    There are some schools of thought that say you should not learn to read or write until you are near fluency anyway.

If you are resident in Bkk, AUA Rachadamri has a thai course that focuses on listening and speaking.

It is the most popular thai course in Bkk and produces speakers with a high degree of fluency, if they stick it out for the required hours.

The good point is you don't have to remember anything, it comes just like it did for you in your native tongue

Comment

no, arai wa is a rude what to say arai na, means something like "fucking what!?"
      It isn't rude, but it IS informal. It's just like saying "What!?" when you can't believe what someone has just said to you or you don't understand them.

Comment

There are some schools of thought that say you should not learn to read or write until you are near fluency anyway.
        My personal opinion after trying both ways is that even though learning the Thai alphabet is a bit slower to start with it makes it much easier later on because it is a lot easier to correctly pronounce a word when you see it written in Thai. When written in some transliteration or romanisation it is extremely difficult to use the correct tone.

BTW it is by no means essential to learn Thai, but I have found that being able to communicate a bit in Thai has made my time with many girls a much more pleasurable experience.

Comment

I agree with Ozzie, learning Thai is not a necessity - however my very very very basic Thai ability and my willingness to learn has paid handsome dividends for me. I would strongly encourage anyone to pick it up casually. You may not even need to buy books or CDs, there are some language sites on the internet - and if you're in LOS, just try picking up a bit and see what happens.
          I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

pimsleur's thai for beginners, 8 discs, in the car, then becker's thai for beginners, on the plane to bangkok and on the bus from bangkok to pattaya. Don't forget your copy of Thai for Lovers! Sawadee kup.

Your mid term exam? pick up and fuck a katoey without using English.

Comment

THE FUNDAMENTALS OF THE THAI LANGUAGE EDITION 5
              BY STUART CAMPBELL AND chuanshaweevongs

excellent book give a clear and easy way of learning thai . ie reading and writing, which are fundamental to speaking correctly . cheers dor dek orr ang nor ngue don
              just a sex tourist looking for hot fun

Comment

ie reading and writing, which are fundamental to speaking correctly
                This was actually my old question - but considering tha I have a background in tonal language, do you still consider the above statement true? I know I am trying to get my "wishful thinking" answer because I really do not want to learn the writing system. However, after finishing the first CD of "Thai for beginners", I found I have not big problems pronoucing the words from romanizations (and often sound not far from the CD when I later checked.)

Comment

Last week I had start for learning basic Thai on a evening school. There was the first lesson about the history of Thai language and the 5 different  kind of pronounce words. Before there I had try for learning by cd`s, but it is more boring.  I be sure it is easier for do it with a teacher in a group and when this is basic part is finish than go on alone. For this 12 evenings with always 90 minutes there I have to pay 83 EURO and in this group are 12 people.
                  Djai jen jen si !

Comment

(donnnnnny @ Sep. 28 2006,15:11) THE FUNDAMENTALS OF THE THAI LANGUAGE EDITION 5
                    BY STUART CAMPBELL AND chuanshaweevongs

excellent book give a clear and easy way of learning thai . ie reading and writing, which are fundamental to speaking correctly . cheers dor dek orr ang nor ngue don
                    donnnnnny, you are right on the mark with that book, If anyone is serious about learning Thai then this is the one.

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you !

Comment

Comment

i found the best way to learn thai was to get pissed in phuket for 2 yrs marry one of them them just sit there like a dog in the village until i understood
                        now i no a bit of thai they all speek issan to me so im reaaly fucked up now

Comment

Anyone have any experience using Rosetta Stone language learning software? Being a government employee we have access to it online for free. Thai is one of the included languages.

Comment

(TopDog @ Oct. 14 2006,23:13) Anyone have any experience using Rosetta Stone language learning software?  Being a government employee we have access to it online for free.  Thai is one of the included languages.
                            Yes I have used the Rosetta Stone software. Not too bad but not sure how someone would go using it if they had never had any experience with the language.

I honestly believe for your introduction to the language you should study a formal course. This allows you to ask question and practice what you have learnt on real people.

Something like Rosetta Stone might be fine after you you have at least seen the alpahbet and understand about the different tones.

Comment

(TopDog @ Oct. 14 2006,21:13) Anyone have any experience using Rosetta Stone language learning software?  Being a government employee we have access to it online for free.  Thai is one of the included languages.
                              I have the Rosetta Stone software too and its rubbish - total waste of time for a newbie. I don't know what the fuck is up with their "immersion" system, but Ozzie is right, if you were a total beginner I had no clue how you could use their system to learn.

I agree a formal course is preferable, but I can imagine it might be hard (and very expensive) to do that. The books recommended earlier are a decent start.

Of course the best bet is to shack up with a local LB and pay her for lessons.
                              I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

Mim (genetic female) who operates NS travel on Sunee Plaza in Pattaya gives private lessons for about 150 baht an hour.

She's also a great travel agent, highly recomended.  

Comment

Working...
                                X