X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thailand/Vietnam

HI, just wondering, never been to Thailand or Vietnam but was wondering is it safe fro someone like em from UK to move out there and live there?

Or just stay in UK but fly out there as often as I can?

ANd where are most of you peeps from? As I see form posters such as Stogie, it's seem he must be living in Thailand? Or close by?

Thailand is 100% safe... unless you are a drunk wondering the streets at night wearing jewelry and carrying your wallet in your hand wearing a "I love Thailand" T-shirt!

In fact - I'll wager that Bangkok is safer than the capital city of the country where you are from.

Dunno a dickie bird about Viet Nam, though!

Comment

ANd job wise?

Easy to get or hard to get?
      What seem an avg wage in Thailand especially in Bangkok which i assume is short fro BKK?

Are there palces like in spain? pat brits city? Where most peeps are british who moved to spain fro sunshine life!

Just something I've wanting to do and thiking about, cos I love easter cultures and such and dream of going to Thailand or Vietnam. But is worried in ways of life, and job and such and if it be a wrong move or not.

Comment

Teaching jobs are a dime a dozen. Just show up for the interview and the job's yours.

Comment

Mmmmmm teach what I wonder? Never been a teacher so probably teach them PC and that about it maybe?

Comment

English teaching jobs only I'm afraid. You'll not find any other kind of work.

Comment

With that kind of English ability, I would not even bother turning up for an interview.   (although truth be known my speed typing is pretty bad but then I am not looking for a job in Thailand).

Cheers
              Mardhi

Comment

Thanks so basically to sum up it all find a bride and move in with her or find a nice gal to lvie with etc?
                Chances of that happening is like ermmm zilch, nada with my luck LOL

Comment

(mardhi @ Sep. 07 2006,04:17) With that kind of English ability, I would not even bother turning up for an interview.
                  I disagree... In my experience you don't need any command of the language to get a job teaching it!

Comment

(PJ35 @ Sep. 07 2006,03:48) Thanks so basically to sum up it all find a bride and move in with her or find a nice gal to lvie with etc?
                    Chances of that happening is like ermmm zilch, nada with my luck LOL
                    Depends on how much money you got mate.
                    I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

(stogie bear @ Sep. 07 2006,01:08) Thailand is 100% safe... unless you are a drunk wondering the streets at night wearing jewelry and carrying your wallet in your hand wearing a "I love Thailand" T-shirt!

In fact - I'll wager that Bangkok is safer than the capital city of the country where you are from.

Dunno a dickie bird about Viet Nam, though!
                      i agree if you mean acts of random violence, like robbery, beatings, hate-violenece which is almost non-existant towards foreigners .. ehem well everywhere except pattaya ...

but there are other dangers, such as engaging in long term relationships with prostitutes, (increased)alcohol/drug-consumption, traffic-accidents just to mention a few.

the grim reality of thailand is not on the sanuk-boards but on thai tv and news in general. thailand was btw the country that had 9th the most war-casualties in 2005.

Comment

I think it might be better if you got straight on a plane and check Thailand and Vietnam out for yourself. Some guys who live here have travelled extensively and spent time here before they made their decision to settle. It would be a mistake to just move to any country without having some first hand experience.

My advice therefore would be to take regular trips until you can support yourself on a lesser salary and then decide if Thailand or any other country is for you. Its harder being an expat then people think. You have to except a lower standard of living which seems strange as it generally is cheaper but if you are not earning a good salary then its about the same.

Dangers are:
                        1. Traffic accidents on foot or car
                        2. Drug filled Pros
                        3. Backpackers
                        4. Fat angry White Whales
                        5. Drunk and jealous Thai males

in no particular order as they can strike at any time..........

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks fro the insight into this for me. Guess some of you are right, shuld visit first to get a feel of the place and such.

Might just do that soon plan a visit to Thailand and Vietnam one day and see how it is.

Comment

As above you have to try it first.I'm working in Vietnam at the moment and boy, it's completely different from Thailand, but its great in different ways to LOS as soon as you've adjusted to it.
                            I think it would be pretty difficult to find a decent job as with other places here unless you get a transfer from a multi-national.
                            When she walks, she’s like a samba
                            That swings so cool and sways so gentle

Comment

Working...
                            X