X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures shrunk too much on a PDA

The picture displaying code on the forum includes this little bit of javascript:

if(this.width > screen.width-300)this.width = (screen.width-300)

This is fine on a big monitor where you can afford to lose 300 pixels but on my PDA (an iPhone) the screen is barely 300 pixels wide so the images turn into micro-thumbnails.

I know that you're trying to do everyone a favor if someone posts a monster image, but how about shrinking the image to screen.width not screen.width-300 ?

Strange. On my mobile (Asus P320) the images show up fine. I'll test it on a couple of other small screen devices and see what happens.

What phone are you using?

By the way - that snippet of Java isn't very reliable and the auto-resize feature only works when it's in a good mood!

Which is why we ask our contributors to resize their overly large pics before sending them up.

Comment

i'm using an iPhone which has a browser unique to small devices in that it can render regular size web pages but it shrinks them to fit the small screen much like you would shrink a photograph (you can then selectively zoom in on the pages and pan around) Most mobile devices have very primitive web browsers and don't even try execute javascript.
      I tested it and the iPhone does return 320 as screen.width (which is in fact the correct number of pixels) even though virtually the screen width is something like 1024.
      I'd suggest that you do something like this. It will not do the shrinking for small devices which will either ignore the javascript or are the iPhone (or iPod Touch) which return a screen.width which doesn't mean what you think it means:

if((screen.width > 600) && (this.width > screen.width-300))this.width = (screen.width-300)

Comment

So the web (and the world) are redesigned to suit Apple, rather than Apple designing to suit the world?

Whatever happened to having standards?  

I agree, though, that the Javascript in question looks like a hack. How about just resizing proportionately, rather than using an arbitrary pixel count?

POL
        Retired the top 12.  Need a new dirty dozen.  

Update: The new list is coming together: Nong Poy, Anita, Nok, Gif, Liisa Winkler, Kay, Nina Poon.  Is it possible to find 5 more?  Until then, GGs:  Jessica Alba, Yuko Ogura, Zhang Ziyi, Maggie Q, and Gong Li.

Comment

Working...
        X