Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone recommend a good e-ttl flash extension lead for off camera flash for my canon?

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

I have no idea about any lead to recommend. But if you type it into the search box on the dpreview.com forum, there will be 100's of references to what you need. Maybe 1000's, it is simply the biggest resource for photographic related questions in the world. The last time I wanted to know something it came back with 27,000 posts on the subject.

As a Nikon owner, this isn't something I will ever need. The Nikon Flash Command System that is incorporated into their DSLRs was the deciding factor for me as to which brand to go with. I can control any remote flash wirelessly, it's all built in. Didn't they tell you that?
      Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

Azza, before you get one of those, take a look at this: Demb Flash Products - Flip It. If your flash can bounce and also twist, this accessory can give results almost equal to studio lighting without the need to do off camera flash.
        flipit_eight_sizes.jpg

Works much better than the Omni-flash diffuser (the white cap that pushes on top of the flash head), and the Gary Fong flash accessories.

I've had it for a few years and find it very good for flash photos.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
        Membership Levels
        The Rookie Thread
        New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
        Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

(pacman @ Feb. 17 2012,14:47) As a Nikon owner, this isn't something I will ever need. The Nikon Flash Command System that is incorporated into their DSLRs was the deciding factor for me as to which brand to go with. I can control any remote flash wirelessly, it's all built in. Didn't they tell you that?      
          Some prick forgot to mention that

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

(rxpharm @ Feb. 17 2012,14:59) Azza, before you get one of those, take a look at this: Demb Flash Products - Flip It. If your flash can bounce and also twist, this accessory can give results almost equal to studio lighting without the need to do off camera flash.

Works much better than the Omni-flash diffuser (the white cap that pushes on top of the flash head), and the Gary Fong flash accessories.

I've had it for a few years and find it very good for flash photos.
            Thanks Rx.

Pardon my igonorance, but i have noticed the worst shadowing occurs with the camera tilted 90 degress. Do these devices work effectively in that type of scenario?

Thanks in advance

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

Your lens hood is casting a shadow over the subject. You have to remove it when you are using flash. I wondered if that might be your problem, as soon as I read it is worse when you holding your camera on its side, I knew.

Save your money Azza & do as Uncle Paccie tells you to.... ya dopey bastard....
              Attached Files
              Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

I wondered if that might be your problem, as soon as I read it is worse when you holding your camera on its side, I knew.
                Nah, im aware of lens hood problems.

This device will do the trick nicely. I think my question to Rx is also answered in the third photo.  
                Attached Files

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

Azza, if your flash can twist the head, as well as bounce, then yes the Flip-It can reduce or eliminate the shadowing, when the camera is rotated 90 degrees.

When you rotate your camera 90 degrees, you would have to twist your flash head, so the diffuser remains directly above your lens, thus delivering the diffused lighting to the subject.

If you look at the flash configuration on the far right of the photo, you can see what I mean by twisting the flash head.

Here's another device that looks interesting: Vertex

By the way, Sony DSLRs also can do wireless off camera flash, not as flexible as the Nikon system though. But as I mentioned I hardly have to use this now with the "Flip-It".

You've already found the answer - I haven't used the Vertex, so can't vouch for how well it works, but it does look interesting. I can definitely recommend the "Flip-It".

Membership Levels
                  The Rookie Thread

Comment

Just purchased the Classic model. Looking forward to playing with it

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

The Sony Flash HVL F58AM has mini version those reflectors built in.  You just need to pull it out when needed.  Quite effective. I use it often.  It also has a built in wide angle diffuser that also works as advertised.

Comment

(azza33 @ Feb. 17 2012,20:44) Just purchased the Classic model. Looking forward to playing with it  
                        Arrived today Rx. Very impressed with the service from the website.

I hope i can work out how to use it effectively. Is it idiot proof?

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

azza, your photos with the Demb flip-it shows you are a master of it! Really quite a simple device works better than all the other fancy diffusers and delivers almost studio light quality from a single flash!

Now onto other camera news. I took the plunge and bought a new Sony Alpha A57 in June, after having used my trusty Konica Minolta 5D since 2005. For those who believe that Canon/Nikon are the be all and end all of DSLRs - here's a quick opinion video from Gary Fong (the flash attachment guy).

If you're not already tied up in a system with lenses, flashes, etc, and are looking for a DSLR, seriously consider the Sony Alpha line. In addition to the A77 and A65 mentioned (which are 24 MP APS-C sensors), they also have the 16 MP A37 and A57 models.).

One other reason I chose the A57 was that all my old Minolta autofocus lenses and flash are still compatible with the new Sony.

I am still keeping my Konica Minolta 5D for backup.

Membership Levels
                          The Rookie Thread

Comment

Great choice Rx.  I hope you also sprang for the Sony 16-50mm F2.8.  Excellent carry around lens.  Weather proofed. Highly recommended.  Lots of Sony camera info here from the excellent David Kilpatrick

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/index.php

We used to have a list of all the rumour sites too.  I'll do a new one

but to start

www.sonyalpharumors.com
                            http://nikonrumors.com/
                            http://www.canonwatch.com/
                            http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/
                            http://www.43rumors.com/
                            http://leicarumors.com/
                            http://photorumors.com/

Comment

Torurot, unfortunately it came with the other kit lens the 18-55 SAM F3.5-5.6. With my old lenses from the 5D, I don't think I'll be in the market for the 16-50 Sony zoom. I might look at the 55-300 coming up - for video use. Thanks for the link to the Friedman book - I've been waiting for it, as the A57 has a lot of features I am not familiar with since the 5D didn't have them. So far the image quality of the A57 is quite good - especially the high ISO - but I think the 5D still wins in the color reproduction.

Membership Levels
                              The Rookie Thread

Comment

For you Nikon users
                                http://www.bythom.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X